1995 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Snookered by the ads
By frankzen on 12/13/10 05:36 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1995 318i in 2005 with 165,000 km (about 102,000 miles) on it - it now has 217000km (about 135000 miles) on it. It also has rusted out rockers and right rear fender, cracked windshield, the cluster (mph,tach etc) no longer works, lower control arms are shot, struts shot, won't idle, and the drivers seat (it's cloth) is worn out. I have replaced the alternator, starter, O2 sensors 3 times, MAF (twice) and innumerable other smaller items for a total repair bill of about $3000 I paid $5000 for the car in 2005...it's now worth about $500. BMWs are fine...if you're willing to spend upwards of $1500 a year on repair and maintenance.

Buy one
By King Krafty on 10/16/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 120k on it. Needed tires and belts. Still driving with 151k on it. No probs. - everything works and works well. No rust in Ohio which is rare and all equipment still works. Turns heads and no one can tell it's a 1995 except for older tail lights. Got it at a Ford dealer for $3000 three years ago (2005). Fun to drive with good gas mileage to boot! Rare to find one, but all sources tell me it will run until 350k miles.

1995 BMW 318i Sedan 5spd review
By Rick on 09/14/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

144,000k and still runs strong and tight. This is a car that makes driving fun again. It's 14yrs old and rides better than some domestic brands that are only a few yrs old! The 5spd manual is smooth and crisp, the suspension lets you know what's going on and BMW must under-rate their horsepower ratings because I have blown away many V6's with my M42 engine. I run exclusively 5w30 Royal Purple and SHELL V-Power Gasoline. I also updated the factory plastic headlamps with a set of EURO 4300k HID Depo Glass Headlamps with angel eyes. Now I can finally see at night!

BMW rules
By bubba on 09/11/07 17:58 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

Excellent handling. Solid body and smooth ride. Great gas mileage. Used more as a pleasure car than daily driver. Never owned a BMW, so went with a cheaper model to test the waters. Very much not disappointed.

318's are very reliable
By Rico C on 02/12/05 00:28 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

95 318i sport package. I was lucky. I was owner #2 and the first owner by coincidence lived in the same city as me and took excellent care of the car. I bought it from a used car dealer with 78,000+ mi in 02/2003. I now have about 117000 mi on it and have had 0 problems. I replaced the original alternator, batt. and belts at 100K mi, but everything else (brakes, timing chain, etc. are still in good condition after 10 years). Replaced the belts myself actually. I found a remarkable performance boost after switching to Castrol Syntec 15W-50--instead of Mobil 1. I love this car and when/if I get another car it will be a 3-series.

318i is a great car!
By DawnFlook on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

As a 5'3" female this car fits me great! And it is so reliable - I have 170K+ miles and haven't changed the clutch yet. Three years ago, I had a front end accident and I was able to walk away with only a seatbelt bruise. This is a great car - I'm keeping mine to at least 200K miles, if not longer.

Good car but E46 is much better!
By Davie Z on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This car has been extremely durable so far and performance is still similar to how it was when new seven years ago. The engine and transmission and brake performance are still excellent, and comfort is still there. However, the new series is simply miles beyond this car, no comparison. Biggest problem has been the SRS - Airbag system, which has been out of action for four of the last seven years with multiple and expensive failures. Also lost the engine balancer and it took the dealer a week to get it back to me on this one. Dealer service has been generally feeble so have resorted to independents who have proven much better!