Used 1993 BMW 3 Series 318is Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

318is
By pbs

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Excellent balance of performance and economy. A lot quicker than the numbers suggest - because of the 4.10 diff and close ratio gearbox, 3rd and 4th gear acceleration is very good. I also get an average of 30mpg (25 town, 35 motorway). Don't shoot me m3 boys, but the 318iS is the best handling e36 you can get; it comes with proper ///M suspension, but with a lot less weight up front and the whole engine is set behind the front axle, giving excellent turn-in and balance.

Lovin' It
By Amanda

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I have recently bought a 318is and I love it! The previous owner had taken very good care of it and it is now in almost perfect condition. I love that I can afford such an accommodating car and that I'm driving a BMW at 18 years old. I am a car lover and I will probably never sell this car because of how happy I am with it.

Favorite Features

I love how beautiful this car looks even though it is 12 years old! It also runs amazing.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about this car is the cost of restoring it. For example: One fog light bracket costs $85! Also my front shocks (in the sport suspension) will cost $235 to replace if I ever need them to be.

Bmw 3 Series
By Mojo2093

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Very reliable car with a nice exterior design and simple well thought out interior, but the plastic materials have broken down over the years. The performance of the engine is definitely lacking and the displacement should have been upped to a 2.0 with around 160 hp. The driving ability however is excellent along with the 4 wheel disc brakes. All in all the 318is is a very good car and quite sensible.

Favorite Features

My favorite features would have to be the handling and tight steering along with the style.

Suggested Improvements

I would say the only real improvement needed would be to change the engine size and horsepower amount; as many know however in 1999 the 323 model was introduced and the four cylinders were phased out.

Built Proof
By Mattegel

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I just rebuilt the motor on my 1.8L after owning it for three years and preparing to turbo it (151k miles), when I tore it apart I found after all the abuse I put it through (Redline in every gear, everytime I drive it) the lower rod and main bearings were almost like new.... NOW THAT IS GERMAN ENGINEERING!!!! I have killed several American made vehicles with the abuse I put them through. But every German made vehicle I have owned has lasted. (Volkswagen, ,Audi)

Favorite Features

One word explains my favorite feature.... "RAILS" I have modified VW's til I was blue in the face and none has come close to the handling of this car in stock dressing. Now that I have a set of Bilstein mono shocks struts and bavarian sport springs at each corner...

Suggested Improvements

Being my own mechanic you would think after working on this car I would have some complaints, I do have one, EXPENSIVE PARTS!! Even as a repair shop getting a discounts, the parts still added up. With all the above said if you are looking for a performance vehicle, BMW is the one.

318 analysis
By David Bodiford

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

i have a 318is. it is old but with bmw that means nothing as long as it has been maintained correctly. i have been very pleased with how it handles in all weather. it drives sporty but with class.

Favorite Features

even though it is a 95' it has very tight steering which i like.

Suggested Improvements

increase acceleration? gear shifting is a little rough when going from first to second gear.