Used 1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

318is
By pbs

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Excellent balance of performance and economy. A lot quicker than the numbers suggest - because of the 4.10 diff and close ratio gearbox, 3rd and 4th gear acceleration is very good. I also get an average of 30mpg (25 town, 35 motorway). Don't shoot me m3 boys, but the 318iS is the best handling e36 you can get; it comes with proper ///M suspension, but with a lot less weight up front and the whole engine is set behind the front axle, giving excellent turn-in and balance.

Great car, but costly repairs
By bimmerpilot

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

Got this fifth BMW used with 98k on it, had the obvious mechanical faults repaired but NOT the radiator, which I learned has an estimated life of 90k miles. Big, costly mistake! In spite of this, I rate this BMW second best out of five. If you maintain the car, it will give good service. Of all the 12 or so cars I have owned, BMWs have been the most satisfying to own & drive. I rate it above Mercedes for a driver's car; highway performance is great, handling can't be beat by any car that I can afford. It's not perfect, but what is? If you do the required maintenance ($$$) it won't let you down, plus it's great fun to drive. The 3 series is easy to park and has good performance and comfort.

Favorite Features

Road handling, 5 speed trans,layout of instrument panel, overall size, fuel economy, fold-down rear seats, on-board trip computer. Heater & A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior trim & asembly (glove box door trim panel fell off - poor glue job). All-metal radiator (plastic parts don't last). Better water pump. Only BMW short life battery will fit in trunk. Make sport seats available as a stand-alone option.

Great car!
By Bimmer

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with high expectations and boy they were exceeded! I love this car, very quick acceleration, great handling, and still pretty comfortable. As long as you maintain BMW's they will treat you well.

Favorite Features

Engine (the engine and exhaust note are amazing), tranny, handling, stereo, build quality, fun to drive, gas mileage (even with very spirited driving I average around 24-26mpg in the city), On board computer and definatly mpg gauge on instrument cluster, and the E36 style good looks!

Suggested Improvements

more power (that was taken care of with 328, and M3), better factory waterpump....thats about it!

Lovin' It
By Amanda

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I have recently bought a 318is and I love it! The previous owner had taken very good care of it and it is now in almost perfect condition. I love that I can afford such an accommodating car and that I'm driving a BMW at 18 years old. I am a car lover and I will probably never sell this car because of how happy I am with it.

Favorite Features

I love how beautiful this car looks even though it is 12 years old! It also runs amazing.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about this car is the cost of restoring it. For example: One fog light bracket costs $85! Also my front shocks (in the sport suspension) will cost $235 to replace if I ever need them to be.

Bmw 3 Series
By Mojo2093

1993 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Very reliable car with a nice exterior design and simple well thought out interior, but the plastic materials have broken down over the years. The performance of the engine is definitely lacking and the displacement should have been upped to a 2.0 with around 160 hp. The driving ability however is excellent along with the 4 wheel disc brakes. All in all the 318is is a very good car and quite sensible.

Favorite Features

My favorite features would have to be the handling and tight steering along with the style.

Suggested Improvements

I would say the only real improvement needed would be to change the engine size and horsepower amount; as many know however in 1999 the 323 model was introduced and the four cylinders were phased out.