1992 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Best Car on the Planet
By BMWJunkie on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I love this car and always will. Cost for parts is average just need to know where to get the parts from. Internet filled with parts suppliers, both OEM and Aftermarket. Handled on rails even before changing to autocross suspension. Family loves the car wife loves it the most and has given up on her Eclipse. Engine is a powerhouse waiting to be unleashed. The things that people are complaining about are "wear items" and have to be replaced on any car. It is called MAINTENANCE people. Get over it. Those parts aren't supposed to last forever. If you can't afford the maintenance don't buy the car. The M50 is the best engine that BMW came up with.

My $2000 per year wallet drainer
By albuquerque bimmer on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I love the way the car looks, performs, and drives, however failing electrical system, and computer system is very disappointing. Windows have failed 4 times. Sandia BMW wants $1100 to fix computer/sensor. Labor charge ($90) per hour plus outrageous part costs make this car difficult to own. I don't intend to buy another.

Good car...some minor problems
By rojo on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Really fun car to drive...I bought it for my son and I love driving it also..I have a new audi a4 and the BMW still rides as well. Have had all the typical 92 bmw problems. water pump, rear shocks, thermostat, hoses...but, overall a great car...I do wish the labor was cheaper...car mechanics see BMW and charge you acordingly...they see ya coming...

Great fun if you don't mind the repairs
By Saloon325i on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

The E36 M50 engines are reliable if you spend the money to get them that way... Before buying or shortly after, make sure to replace the plastic waterpump housing and the waterpump itself. The plastic used on both is prone to breaking and will overheat the car. Also, replacing the radiator and thermostat is a good thing to do if it has never been done before. The rear shock mounts will fail also. Replace these with E46 mounts. The ignition coils will need to be replaced also if they are original. Be sure to buy a car that has been serviced regularly. Transmissions should not be an issue, but the auto does have more failure than the manual.

Have enough cash for numerous repairs
By superjunkyard on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Owned this car new. Many problems popped up over the years. This car can drain the money in your pocket fast because of constant repairs that are very expensive. Repairs range from wiper motor, turn signal problems, radiator hose leakages to leaky transmission fluid pan, etc. Engine is decent, but not that powerful. The paints on the body is crappy.

E36 pride
By dblblkskier on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Best car my family or I have ever owned. It out handles, out accelerates, and has a higher top speed than any of our previous cars. The car has had only minor problems which I have been able to fix at home with VERY limited tools. We did a minor paint job on the side-skirts, and front and rear bumper covers to make them body color. With this small modification, it looks like a '98.

Love this car
By John McAllister on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

The is one of the best vehicles I have owned - very cool for a four door sedan. The fun factor is high and the reliability is been very good. It's expensive to repair but that's fine as mine had very few problems.

German build quality
By Bozz on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my brother in January from my manager. eversince we own this car, it has so many small accessories problem such as A/C holes leaks, gasket leaks, and now the heater holes is leaking. Althought, I really like the performance of the car but i just feel so annoy on fixing this small problems.

Ultimate Driving Machine
By Russ B. on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I would highly recommend this vehicle. It is built with great German design and is a must for sporty car lovers.

Hole in the wallet
By BisForBummer on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Worst designed BMW ever. From plastic radiator to plastic fins on the water pump blade to a computer that does not adequately drain when the car is taken to a car wash such that is floods and shorts out.