1992 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
For the right price it is a great car
By ChrisG1979 on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

When I found this car, I had been looking for two months. I paid the guy 4000 cash and he was asking 5000. To date I have to put about a 1000 into it, and probly will need to put another 500 soon. I have had a few problem with the car, one of which is that it has burned up 2 cat. converters, which gets expensive. If I was not able to do the repairs myself, I would not still have this car. I think it is a great car for the price and is so much fun to drive. I plan to buy BMW's for the for seealbe furtrue. These are great cars.

Fun value
By commuter123 on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 4 yrs now, originally purchased as a second vehicle for local driving, mix highway and city. My experience has been overall very positive - the car can be a lot of fun to drive, despite the higher mileage it performs well, sticks to the road and handles like a sports car. Since 92 was the first year of the new BMW body design, the car actually looks like a much later model. With routine maintenance I had no major repairs and the car has been very reliable. All this for just over $10k as initial investment.

Perfect sports sedan
By Skimmer on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Was, remains the first quintessential sports sedan. The unassailable benchmark. Superb in every performance and handling respect, except high speed sweepers. Lithe, tossable, and possible to drift & steer with a throttle, though its glue-like grip makes it necessary to speed to break away. Its flaws: a cheap looking interior much improved in later model years, and many flawed materials. Problems I have had in the first five years included a broken radiator tube; a leaky gas tank; a broken rear spring; a broken window lift; two leaky oil pan gaskets; inability to start due to plug fouling ; and, twice, loud exhaust due to total loss of muffler baffles.

Not quite what I though it would be
By chanandaler bong on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Great commuter...not quite the performance I thought it would be, really not much quicker than my old vw jetta, except that it handles the corners much much better. Fun on the off and on ramps!!!

92 325i
By trini on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Its truly the ultimate driving machine this car is not for laid back people if u want luxury go buy a lincoln ,If u truly want to live (bmw)

Best Car on the Planet
By BMWJunkie on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I love this car and always will. Cost for parts is average just need to know where to get the parts from. Internet filled with parts suppliers, both OEM and Aftermarket. Handled on rails even before changing to autocross suspension. Family loves the car wife loves it the most and has given up on her Eclipse. Engine is a powerhouse waiting to be unleashed. The things that people are complaining about are "wear items" and have to be replaced on any car. It is called MAINTENANCE people. Get over it. Those parts aren't supposed to last forever. If you can't afford the maintenance don't buy the car. The M50 is the best engine that BMW came up with.

What a car!`
By clrox on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

Runs great-performance when you need it and excellent reliability. I drive over 100 miles a day so I get to know my cars and this one is going to stay!

My $2000 per year wallet drainer
By albuquerque bimmer on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I love the way the car looks, performs, and drives, however failing electrical system, and computer system is very disappointing. Windows have failed 4 times. Sandia BMW wants $1100 to fix computer/sensor. Labor charge ($90) per hour plus outrageous part costs make this car difficult to own. I don't intend to buy another.

Good car...some minor problems
By rojo on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Really fun car to drive...I bought it for my son and I love driving it also..I have a new audi a4 and the BMW still rides as well. Have had all the typical 92 bmw problems. water pump, rear shocks, thermostat, hoses...but, overall a great car...I do wish the labor was cheaper...car mechanics see BMW and charge you acordingly...they see ya coming...

Great fun if you don't mind the repairs
By Saloon325i on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

The E36 M50 engines are reliable if you spend the money to get them that way... Before buying or shortly after, make sure to replace the plastic waterpump housing and the waterpump itself. The plastic used on both is prone to breaking and will overheat the car. Also, replacing the radiator and thermostat is a good thing to do if it has never been done before. The rear shock mounts will fail also. Replace these with E46 mounts. The ignition coils will need to be replaced also if they are original. Be sure to buy a car that has been serviced regularly. Transmissions should not be an issue, but the auto does have more failure than the manual.