1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Ups at downs at 215k miles
By gpelite on 03/01/11 13:52 PM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

Bought this second or third hand from a guy who blew the head gasket. I was pissed, but 2600 for a gasket vs 1200 for a new engine package, I swapped engines. Parts are cheap for this car folks, if you are handy you can conquer this one. FYI the broken gasket engine was because he overheated it by not changing the water pump at regular guidelines. You need to do matinence on the car, just regular stuff, she will run forever. Ive only replaced water pump and alternator at regular intervals once... so this car has been beaten bad. Ive also done suspension parts, small stabilizers and struts, routine. I kill this thing all over the USA and she is a trooper... Im impressed.

1992 BMW 3 Series
By khnab2007 on 05/06/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

I bought my baby about 15 months ago and paid 4500 from the dealer for it. The car had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it and I thought I was getting this great deal, it was a BMW! I loaned the money from my aunt who loved the car until it started breaking down! So far I have replaced the fan 4 times in year, the water pump, the radiator twice, and several other things costing me a grand total of 10,000 for 92 that still overheats and has issues!! And the gas mileage is a killer the best I can get is 20mpg on highway! UGH!!! If only I could use unleaded gas maybe it'd be better!!

Pure Excellence
By BeatenMutilatedWagon on 04/19/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

It has taken me a while to get around to writing this review but I believe it to be a necessity to one who wishes to buy a BMW. This car is quick, comfortable, always impressive, reliable. Worse things done to it were a fuel pump around $220 and a starter, which isn't bad for 5 owners and a severe kicking. I believe it capable to hold its own on the reliability scale in comparison to its Japanese counterparts around the same age & $$. Excellent car runs excellent every time. If it breaks, save yourself some $$ and fix it yourself! Or find a cheap mechanic.

Better than I thought!
By xhype on 11/22/07 11:13 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

I had heard all about how BMW was a great drive but that the reliability and repairs were to be desired. Thankfully I have a friend who is great with cars and can help with the repairs and maintenance. Tons of aftermarket parts and actually easy to maintain if you can read a manual. This car is an amazing value now. I got mine for only $1500 with 125k miles. The body style is still current looking, but the prices have come down so much! If you are willing to look, get a little dirty once in a while, and read a service manual, this car is a great deal! Great power after 2500 rpm and ride handling is great!

Great, reliable car
By motor_werke on 08/20/07 10:31 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

With a 186k on the car, it still runs incredibly well. I use it as a daily driver and bring it to the autocross events. Very reliable, contrary to common belief. A blast to drive!

For the right price it is a great car
By ChrisG1979 on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

When I found this car, I had been looking for two months. I paid the guy 4000 cash and he was asking 5000. To date I have to put about a 1000 into it, and probly will need to put another 500 soon. I have had a few problem with the car, one of which is that it has burned up 2 cat. converters, which gets expensive. If I was not able to do the repairs myself, I would not still have this car. I think it is a great car for the price and is so much fun to drive. I plan to buy BMW's for the for seealbe furtrue. These are great cars.

Fun value
By commuter123 on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 4 yrs now, originally purchased as a second vehicle for local driving, mix highway and city. My experience has been overall very positive - the car can be a lot of fun to drive, despite the higher mileage it performs well, sticks to the road and handles like a sports car. Since 92 was the first year of the new BMW body design, the car actually looks like a much later model. With routine maintenance I had no major repairs and the car has been very reliable. All this for just over $10k as initial investment.

Perfect sports sedan
By Skimmer on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

Was, remains the first quintessential sports sedan. The unassailable benchmark. Superb in every performance and handling respect, except high speed sweepers. Lithe, tossable, and possible to drift & steer with a throttle, though its glue-like grip makes it necessary to speed to break away. Its flaws: a cheap looking interior much improved in later model years, and many flawed materials. Problems I have had in the first five years included a broken radiator tube; a leaky gas tank; a broken rear spring; a broken window lift; two leaky oil pan gaskets; inability to start due to plug fouling ; and, twice, loud exhaust due to total loss of muffler baffles.

Not quite what I though it would be
By chanandaler bong on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

Great commuter...not quite the performance I thought it would be, really not much quicker than my old vw jetta, except that it handles the corners much much better. Fun on the off and on ramps!!!

92 325i
By trini on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan

Its truly the ultimate driving machine this car is not for laid back people if u want luxury go buy a lincoln ,If u truly want to live (bmw)