Used 1992 BMW 3 Series 318is Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

1992 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Drive It Like You Stole It!
By The Stig

1992 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 150,000km's and I'm now approaching 250,000km's. I expect the bimmer to last much longer - car is in excellent condition. Although not as quick as its 6-cyclinder counterparts its an economical bimmer with enough juice for spirited driving and great handling. Overtime I've replaced many parts which are known to be weak in this model including: water pump, head gasket, strut tower mounts, ball joints...(all preventative maintenance, not broken) otherwise car has run with few problems over the years. Only failures: bolt in clutch linkage broke at 224,000km's ($10 part, $300 tow to garage); fog light connection a little loose... the bracket broke off in cooler weather.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling car. Great transmission. Reliable. Stiff solid Chassis. Nice tough steel body instead of import tin or plastic.

Suggested Improvements

It's nice to have the fuel economy of the 4-cyclinder, but the raw power of the v6 is missed. The stiff body and chassis is hard on suspensions parts. Need more durable parts, which are around now - but not invented at the time. Like the new OE ball joints are steel not rubber.

Keeps on Going...
By JoggerDude

1992 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Owned car 8 years now. 190k miles. The car still looks and runs great. I've only spent $2,400 to maintain it (includes 3 sets of Michelin tires! Oil has been changed every 5K miles. Engine is still tight and very smooth. I've gotten 36 mpg on the highway. 4 cyl motor(140 HP) with a 5-spd is fine on power. I'm still using the original clutch. Handling and looks are what caused me to buy this car. My black 2 door is beautiful and rare! I'm curious to see how long this car will last. I have no plans to trade. It still looks good and is fun to drive. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Design of 2 door coupe. Reliabibility. FUN FACTOR is very high!

Suggested Improvements

Interior door pannels came unlaminated in the southern heat. Parts and service may be a little pricey.