Used 1992 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ups at downs at 215k miles
By gpelite

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Bought this second or third hand from a guy who blew the head gasket. I was pissed, but 2600 for a gasket vs 1200 for a new engine package, I swapped engines. Parts are cheap for this car folks, if you are handy you can conquer this one. FYI the broken gasket engine was because he overheated it by not changing the water pump at regular guidelines. You need to do matinence on the car, just regular stuff, she will run forever. Ive only replaced water pump and alternator at regular intervals once... so this car has been beaten bad. Ive also done suspension parts, small stabilizers and struts, routine. I kill this thing all over the USA and she is a trooper... Im impressed.

Easy to work on, cheap parts for DIY, lots of upgrades out there for it, reliable as all heck... she will be a champ for you. I towed a trailer with the optional kit across the usa 2000 miles with this baby... totally not what you want to do but she was gold.

Get some cold air kits and keep your O2 and oxygen sensor in line. I get 23 mpg average by doing this. Interior falls apart due to known glue defects in panels... so I bought M3 panels, they are higher quality. Needs cup holder. Heated seats are 2/10 at best. AC is weak 5/10 , heat is good.

I'm the owner, the only owner.
By sheila davis

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my BMW 325ic in 1992.I have kept every service record.This car is my baby.It is very fun to drive, has a good-sized back seat.The body was painted last year (cashmere) and I had all new leather put inside.I also installed the ultimate luxury-- cupholders.The body style looks exactly like a vintage Mercedes.Because it is getting up in years, it has needed several new parts: brake linings, exhaust system and now, the air conditioning kit.I am considering a new car so I have not had the air fixed yet.Also, the chocolate top needs to be replaced but bathtub caulk keeps it from leaking. If you have the opportunity to own one of these, take it. People stop and ask me about it.

Rag top, gold color

No doubt, cupholders.I don't think Germans eat in their cars.

Bang for the Buck
By RC

1992 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

My 318i is not a rocket but really has much more power than I expected. Daily driver. Handles great, all power, heated seats.Cold A/C. The "pleather" interior holds up much much better than most of the leather 325's I have seen. Mine still looks new. Only problem I have had is a Slave cylinder.

Convertible, heated seats, 5 speed, timeless design.

Overdrive or taller 5th gear. Seats have too many manual adjustments. Could simplify a little. Every E 30 I have seen has the glove box falling out if not repaired.

Drive It Like You Stole It!
By The Stig

1992 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 150,000km's and I'm now approaching 250,000km's. I expect the bimmer to last much longer - car is in excellent condition. Although not as quick as its 6-cyclinder counterparts its an economical bimmer with enough juice for spirited driving and great handling. Overtime I've replaced many parts which are known to be weak in this model including: water pump, head gasket, strut tower mounts, ball joints...(all preventative maintenance, not broken) otherwise car has run with few problems over the years. Only failures: bolt in clutch linkage broke at 224,000km's ($10 part, $300 tow to garage); fog light connection a little loose... the bracket broke off in cooler weather.

Excellent handling car. Great transmission. Reliable. Stiff solid Chassis. Nice tough steel body instead of import tin or plastic.

It's nice to have the fuel economy of the 4-cyclinder, but the raw power of the v6 is missed. The stiff body and chassis is hard on suspensions parts. Need more durable parts, which are around now - but not invented at the time. Like the new OE ball joints are steel not rubber.

Owned this car for 15 years
By Bimmer

1992 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

This was an exciting car to drive. Bought it 1 year old. It has been very reliable over the years with only an air condition problem that seems to be reoccurring every couple of years. I have now given it to my daughter to attend University. Still going strong after all these years.

Engine, brakes, handling.

Cup holders non existant, air conditioning