1992 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

1992 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Ups at downs at 215k miles
By gpelite on 03/01/11 13:52 PM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Bought this second or third hand from a guy who blew the head gasket. I was pissed, but 2600 for a gasket vs 1200 for a new engine package, I swapped engines. Parts are cheap for this car folks, if you are handy you can conquer this one. FYI the broken gasket engine was because he overheated it by not changing the water pump at regular guidelines. You need to do matinence on the car, just regular stuff, she will run forever. Ive only replaced water pump and alternator at regular intervals once... so this car has been beaten bad. Ive also done suspension parts, small stabilizers and struts, routine. I kill this thing all over the USA and she is a trooper... Im impressed.

I'm the owner, the only owner.
By sheila davis on 02/01/10 16:33 PM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my BMW 325ic in 1992.I have kept every service record.This car is my baby.It is very fun to drive, has a good-sized back seat.The body was painted last year (cashmere) and I had all new leather put inside.I also installed the ultimate luxury-- cupholders.The body style looks exactly like a vintage Mercedes.Because it is getting up in years, it has needed several new parts: brake linings, exhaust system and now, the air conditioning kit.I am considering a new car so I have not had the air fixed yet.Also, the chocolate top needs to be replaced but bathtub caulk keeps it from leaking. If you have the opportunity to own one of these, take it. People stop and ask me about it.

Bang for the Buck
By RC on 01/04/10 10:53 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

My 318i is not a rocket but really has much more power than I expected. Daily driver. Handles great, all power, heated seats.Cold A/C. The "pleather" interior holds up much much better than most of the leather 325's I have seen. Mine still looks new. Only problem I have had is a Slave cylinder.

Drive It Like You Stole It!
By The Stig on 08/21/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 150,000km's and I'm now approaching 250,000km's. I expect the bimmer to last much longer - car is in excellent condition. Although not as quick as its 6-cyclinder counterparts its an economical bimmer with enough juice for spirited driving and great handling. Overtime I've replaced many parts which are known to be weak in this model including: water pump, head gasket, strut tower mounts, ball joints...(all preventative maintenance, not broken) otherwise car has run with few problems over the years. Only failures: bolt in clutch linkage broke at 224,000km's ($10 part, $300 tow to garage); fog light connection a little loose... the bracket broke off in cooler weather.

Owned this car for 15 years
By Bimmer on 05/21/08 14:20 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

This was an exciting car to drive. Bought it 1 year old. It has been very reliable over the years with only an air condition problem that seems to be reoccurring every couple of years. I have now given it to my daughter to attend University. Still going strong after all these years.

1992 BMW 3 Series
By khnab2007 on 05/06/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I bought my baby about 15 months ago and paid 4500 from the dealer for it. The car had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it and I thought I was getting this great deal, it was a BMW! I loaned the money from my aunt who loved the car until it started breaking down! So far I have replaced the fan 4 times in year, the water pump, the radiator twice, and several other things costing me a grand total of 10,000 for 92 that still overheats and has issues!! And the gas mileage is a killer the best I can get is 20mpg on highway! UGH!!! If only I could use unleaded gas maybe it'd be better!!

Pure Excellence
By BeatenMutilatedWagon on 04/19/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

It has taken me a while to get around to writing this review but I believe it to be a necessity to one who wishes to buy a BMW. This car is quick, comfortable, always impressive, reliable. Worse things done to it were a fuel pump around $220 and a starter, which isn't bad for 5 owners and a severe kicking. I believe it capable to hold its own on the reliability scale in comparison to its Japanese counterparts around the same age & $$. Excellent car runs excellent every time. If it breaks, save yourself some $$ and fix it yourself! Or find a cheap mechanic.

Better than I thought!
By xhype on 11/22/07 11:13 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I had heard all about how BMW was a great drive but that the reliability and repairs were to be desired. Thankfully I have a friend who is great with cars and can help with the repairs and maintenance. Tons of aftermarket parts and actually easy to maintain if you can read a manual. This car is an amazing value now. I got mine for only $1500 with 125k miles. The body style is still current looking, but the prices have come down so much! If you are willing to look, get a little dirty once in a while, and read a service manual, this car is a great deal! Great power after 2500 rpm and ride handling is great!

Great, reliable car
By motor_werke on 08/20/07 10:31 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

With a 186k on the car, it still runs incredibly well. I use it as a daily driver and bring it to the autocross events. Very reliable, contrary to common belief. A blast to drive!

watch out for the factory defect.
By bimmer guru on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

intereting little car with lots of features. not a really fast ride but okay for a slow weekend drive.