1991 BMW 3 Series 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - I Love My 318is

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I Love My 318is
By Bimmerhead on

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car from the original owner with ~68,000 miles on it in 1998. It now has 165,000 aggressive miles on it and it has proven itself to be a VERY well built, reliable, fun to drive car. It has no torque and doesn't accelerate off the line well, but once up to speed on the highway, this car is very quick. You have to learn to keep the revs up. It eats gas for a four-banger, but it loves to rev. I've done H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hawk HP Plus pads and the car is very nimble and tossable. It's very reliable, entertaining transportation.

Favorite Features

These E30s are the pinnacle of BMW reliability. Light, agile car that handles like a BMW 2002. It's cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to work on and has some very sophisticated factory-trick components (ignition, headers, front suspension). It's FUN, FUN, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Supercharger for more low-end torque and cupholders. I replaced the front A-arms with e30M3 aluminum arms and offset urethane bushings. Makes for stronger front-end with better turn-in.