Used 1991 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Will buy another; great car!
By Santi

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for just over two years now. I have looked into selling it to buy a new, nicer BMW 5 series and was unable to sell this old 3 series! It is a great driver, one of the funnest on the road that I have been in. 17 years old and it's still put together well. This car is so small it can park anywhere, and with great gas mileage it is the perfect city car. I have recently put in over $7,000 to restore this car to like-new condition - IT'S THAT GOOD. :)

Best Value for a Fun Car
By Bill-B

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

My previous car was a 1993 Miata, and I didn't have high expectations for this car. I was wrong. This has been my favorite car so far. The car could be called underpowered, but then again an inline six was available for more power. The only work I have done is a waterpump and the belts. The car is a great daily driver, but the 4.10 diff makes it rev high at highway speeds. I love the ride of the car, firm but comfortable. I have H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, and suspension technique swaybars. I do look to upgrade the car in the future with a Downing Atlanta Supercharger (197 whp) and stiffer springs. Overall an awesome car that has classic good looks and drives well.

Gas mileage, 4.10 LSD, high-revving motor, classic good looks.

I would say cupholders, but I have found that the cupholders from VW that fold down work perfect on the pass. side of the transmission tunnel.

I Love My 318is
By Bimmerhead

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car from the original owner with ~68,000 miles on it in 1998. It now has 165,000 aggressive miles on it and it has proven itself to be a VERY well built, reliable, fun to drive car. It has no torque and doesn't accelerate off the line well, but once up to speed on the highway, this car is very quick. You have to learn to keep the revs up. It eats gas for a four-banger, but it loves to rev. I've done H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hawk HP Plus pads and the car is very nimble and tossable. It's very reliable, entertaining transportation.

These E30s are the pinnacle of BMW reliability. Light, agile car that handles like a BMW 2002. It's cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to work on and has some very sophisticated factory-trick components (ignition, headers, front suspension). It's FUN, FUN, FUN.

Supercharger for more low-end torque and cupholders. I replaced the front A-arms with e30M3 aluminum arms and offset urethane bushings. Makes for stronger front-end with better turn-in.

Frugal fun in the sun
By mgold

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I've owned this car since 1999 and have logged 115000 on the odometer (the car is about to hit 200k). Since I got the car, its been my trusty daily driver and fun machine having taken it on several road trips (including Yosemite) and have autocrossed with it. It's also pretty frugal getting about 27 mpg in mixed driving, although due to taller gearing than its hardtop siblings, it doesn't get mileage in the low 30s like they do (the cabrio has a 4.27 final drive ratio and the sedan and coupe have a 4.10). I highly recommend any of the '91 318i models to anyone looking to get into their first BMW. I'm soon retiring my car for weekend fun and buying an E36 318i for my commute.

Light and reasonably quick. Great ergonomics. Suprisingly roomy trunk. Frugal (on required 91 octane). Easy to maintain (the M42 is a very low maintenance motor). Very reliable and easy to work on (when I have the time). Great color (lagunengr√ľn metallic).

Cupholders would have been nice. I added the BMW accessory cupholder, but can only use it in the passenger door (it's too tight to use in the drivers door). I highly recommend all convertible owners invest in a front strut bar. A little more rear legroom in all E30s might have been nice too.

Like it almost as much as my 88 535is
By Eric

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is a great car, it handles like a go cart, is quick above 4000 rpms, great gas mileage, cool looks, easy to work on,g et good comments from non bimmerphiles, it is a very fun car to drive.

Great styling, sunroof, sport seats, high revving motor.

Low end power.