Used 1991 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Frugal fun in the sun
By mgold

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I've owned this car since 1999 and have logged 115000 on the odometer (the car is about to hit 200k). Since I got the car, its been my trusty daily driver and fun machine having taken it on several road trips (including Yosemite) and have autocrossed with it. It's also pretty frugal getting about 27 mpg in mixed driving, although due to taller gearing than its hardtop siblings, it doesn't get mileage in the low 30s like they do (the cabrio has a 4.27 final drive ratio and the sedan and coupe have a 4.10). I highly recommend any of the '91 318i models to anyone looking to get into their first BMW. I'm soon retiring my car for weekend fun and buying an E36 318i for my commute.

Light and reasonably quick. Great ergonomics. Suprisingly roomy trunk. Frugal (on required 91 octane). Easy to maintain (the M42 is a very low maintenance motor). Very reliable and easy to work on (when I have the time). Great color (lagunengrün metallic).

Cupholders would have been nice. I added the BMW accessory cupholder, but can only use it in the passenger door (it's too tight to use in the drivers door). I highly recommend all convertible owners invest in a front strut bar. A little more rear legroom in all E30s might have been nice too.

Like it almost as much as my 88 535is
By Eric

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is a great car, it handles like a go cart, is quick above 4000 rpms, great gas mileage, cool looks, easy to work on,g et good comments from non bimmerphiles, it is a very fun car to drive.

Great styling, sunroof, sport seats, high revving motor.

Low end power.

Cheap but fun.
By Hooked on Bimmers

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

With 170,000 miles on the clock, the car needs a few items replaced like the timing chain/gears. However, the engine is known to last beyond 300K miles if taken care of. This is my daily driver and the third bimmer in the household. It maybe cheap at under $3000, but it is more fun than the other two that cost over $30K. 2600lb chassis is unbelieveably nimble in corners and 16 year old 4 cyl engine is peppy enough to pull the car fast on the freeway entrances. Look for one with good maintenance record and pay below $3000. You won't be disappointed.

5 speed manual. Classy look. Simple car to work on. Bullet proof engine.

318is will last forever
By 318is

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I previously owned a '01 330i and I've had more fun and enjoyment with my '91 318is. From it's classic tight sports car ride on curvy roads to a high speed cruiser, I have a true gem. I've owned Mercedes, Triumphs, FIATs, as well as all types of American cars too. My 318is is very solid and well built and should last me another 100k miles (I purchased it in May of '05 with only 91k on the odometer). I recommend this car to anyone (young and old).

old school styling, M3 suspension/handling, huge sun roof, gas mileage (even at > 80mph speeds), ease of maintenance

Just a few more horses under the hood :)

I Love My Red Little Girl
By JP

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and have had it for 15 years. She has over 160,000 miles on her and still runs great - maybe even better than she used to. She's a 5 speed manual and loves being driven hard. Haven't had any problems-just routine maintenance issues. She's been nothing but reliable. I would get a newer one, but they've done away with that classic BMW. I also have an Audi A4 which I use in inclement weather due to the rear wheel drive of the BMW. But, when the roads are dry, I prefer the handling of my fun and faithful friend. After all, an automobile is about driving, and nothing's beats the Ultimate Driving Machine, no matter how old.

Hugs the road beautifully. Love driving on winding back road - handling is outstanding.

They've made them all on the newer models.