Used 1991 BMW 3 Series 318is Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Cheap but fun.
By Hooked on Bimmers

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

With 170,000 miles on the clock, the car needs a few items replaced like the timing chain/gears. However, the engine is known to last beyond 300K miles if taken care of. This is my daily driver and the third bimmer in the household. It maybe cheap at under $3000, but it is more fun than the other two that cost over $30K. 2600lb chassis is unbelieveably nimble in corners and 16 year old 4 cyl engine is peppy enough to pull the car fast on the freeway entrances. Look for one with good maintenance record and pay below $3000. You won't be disappointed.

5 speed manual. Classy look. Simple car to work on. Bullet proof engine.

318is will last forever
By 318is

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I previously owned a '01 330i and I've had more fun and enjoyment with my '91 318is. From it's classic tight sports car ride on curvy roads to a high speed cruiser, I have a true gem. I've owned Mercedes, Triumphs, FIATs, as well as all types of American cars too. My 318is is very solid and well built and should last me another 100k miles (I purchased it in May of '05 with only 91k on the odometer). I recommend this car to anyone (young and old).

old school styling, M3 suspension/handling, huge sun roof, gas mileage (even at > 80mph speeds), ease of maintenance

Just a few more horses under the hood :)

I Love My Red Little Girl
By JP

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and have had it for 15 years. She has over 160,000 miles on her and still runs great - maybe even better than she used to. She's a 5 speed manual and loves being driven hard. Haven't had any problems-just routine maintenance issues. She's been nothing but reliable. I would get a newer one, but they've done away with that classic BMW. I also have an Audi A4 which I use in inclement weather due to the rear wheel drive of the BMW. But, when the roads are dry, I prefer the handling of my fun and faithful friend. After all, an automobile is about driving, and nothing's beats the Ultimate Driving Machine, no matter how old.

Hugs the road beautifully. Love driving on winding back road - handling is outstanding.

They've made them all on the newer models.

Good, cheap way to join the BMW set...
By QuikCash

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car on the cheap for basic transportation and have been pleasantly surprised. While the acceleration will not excite, the handling is outstanding. Stops and turns on a dime. Not a good highway cruiser in my opinion, but great around town. Car is simple enough that maintenance is a do- it-yourself affair, and parts are not too expensive. Looks great, and in my opinion has a "classic" ambiance not present in the more modern E36 3- series.

Sharp handling, easy maintenance

No changes neccessary, this car was "it" at the time it was produced. Lack of cupholder, marginal fuel economy, and lack of power hurt it against more modern machines.

The best car I've ever owned!!!
By djgonzo

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Probably the best car I've ever owned including the 2000 Audi S4 I currently own! I bought the 318is with 142K miles on it and drove it for a year putting another 13,000 miles on it. I've regreted selling the car ever since and am ironically trying to purchase another at this time. The engine is strong acceleration is quick. Handling is quick and nimble. Interior is comfortable, easy to clean and looks great. The car has real "European" feel and design. I could go on and on about this car, it's very dependable and sporty. Has to be one of the best cars BMW has built.

Styling, Sporty feel, very dependable.

CUP HOLDERS!!!