Used 1991 BMW 3 Series 318is Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Artie, my fiery red beamer
By " Artie Beamer "

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I just purchased my 1991 BMW 318is coupe. I was looking for a car to replace my 1994 Volvo 850; I loved my Volvo but it was literally falling apart. I wanted to purchase a Land Rover Discovery Series SUV, but read so many bad reviews on this vehicle. My son and I were looking at cars at my favorite car lot; my son spotted the BMW at the back of the lot. It caught our eye. It was a one owner car in excellent condition; one look and we were hooked. I made an offer and the car was mine. My son and I waxed Artie and scented him with air freshener. Everywhere we go; people ask where did you get that car. It is definitely an eye capturer. My son says, aren't you glad I made you give up the Volvo.

I love the classic look of the round front headlights. Also the interior has a neat, clean, simple look. I love the manual crank for the sun roof. Excellent trunk storage space. The body style is sporty. The leather seats are awesome, and the back seats are comfortable.

None

Great car!
By gocanes14

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I just recently got a 318is and it is a fun little car to drive. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and needs some things like new struts, rack and pinion, timing chain. It handles pretty good and I get pretty good mpgs when I dont drive it hard.

glass headlights, manual transmission, large trunk

A little more power couldn't hurt!

Best Value for a Fun Car
By Bill-B

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

My previous car was a 1993 Miata, and I didn't have high expectations for this car. I was wrong. This has been my favorite car so far. The car could be called underpowered, but then again an inline six was available for more power. The only work I have done is a waterpump and the belts. The car is a great daily driver, but the 4.10 diff makes it rev high at highway speeds. I love the ride of the car, firm but comfortable. I have H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, and suspension technique swaybars. I do look to upgrade the car in the future with a Downing Atlanta Supercharger (197 whp) and stiffer springs. Overall an awesome car that has classic good looks and drives well.

Gas mileage, 4.10 LSD, high-revving motor, classic good looks.

I would say cupholders, but I have found that the cupholders from VW that fold down work perfect on the pass. side of the transmission tunnel.

I Love My 318is
By Bimmerhead

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car from the original owner with ~68,000 miles on it in 1998. It now has 165,000 aggressive miles on it and it has proven itself to be a VERY well built, reliable, fun to drive car. It has no torque and doesn't accelerate off the line well, but once up to speed on the highway, this car is very quick. You have to learn to keep the revs up. It eats gas for a four-banger, but it loves to rev. I've done H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hawk HP Plus pads and the car is very nimble and tossable. It's very reliable, entertaining transportation.

These E30s are the pinnacle of BMW reliability. Light, agile car that handles like a BMW 2002. It's cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to work on and has some very sophisticated factory-trick components (ignition, headers, front suspension). It's FUN, FUN, FUN.

Supercharger for more low-end torque and cupholders. I replaced the front A-arms with e30M3 aluminum arms and offset urethane bushings. Makes for stronger front-end with better turn-in.

Like it almost as much as my 88 535is
By Eric

1991 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

This is a great car, it handles like a go cart, is quick above 4000 rpms, great gas mileage, cool looks, easy to work on,g et good comments from non bimmerphiles, it is a very fun car to drive.

Great styling, sunroof, sport seats, high revving motor.

Low end power.