1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
LOVE my Bimmer!
By Erin on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

My first one was carried away by katrina. I loved it so much, I bought another just like it. It had 189k miles on it when I got it and now I've owned it for 4 years. Fuel mileage is around 30+ as long as ac is not running. Extremely fun to drive! I've only had to do maintenance on it (shocks, brake pads, etc). And of course new wheels and tires. I also had a turbine exhaust installed which made it quite a bit peppier and increased my gas mileage slightly. Now I have over 200k on it and am about to finally replace the timing chain, water pump, and fan clutch. Most expensive part was the top, which was around 2k installed. My new Acura sits in the driveway undriven. =)

My New Baby
By stevo on 06/10/10 17:48 PM (PDT)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car, and in doing so I have learned a hard life's lesson. Have you car inspected before buying. I have not received the bill on repairs yet, but my trusty mechanic is ringing up some numbers and I don't expect them to be cheap. I have to over haul the entire suspension front and rear and then replace the clutch and fix a crazy amount of leaks that began after the 3 hour drive home after purchasing plus many many more items. After all this though, I freaking LOVE this car and no amount of money will force me to part from the sexy style and classic feel. Even on bad suspension she drove like a dream. It's my first classic BMW and definitely wont be my last.

love my red
By ragtopper on 03/06/10 18:55 PM (PST)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

Almost didn't buy this sweet little car, then the dealer dropped the price, so I took a closer look. Car had no working ac, was dripping oil like crazy, and had steering wheel wobble. I took a leap of faith and went for it. I went to work on the ac problem first preparing myself for the first big bimmer bill. It was missing a 12 buck belt. Then I tackled the oil leak. Loose bolts attaching the oil pan. Tightened them up and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Steering wheel vibration was caused by someone adding aftermarket momo wheels and not using hub centric spacer rings with the rotor extensions. This car currently has 198k miles and just flat out drives and corners like a dream. Love it.

Frugal fun in the sun
By mgold on 05/06/07 11:00 AM (PDT)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

I've owned this car since 1999 and have logged 115000 on the odometer (the car is about to hit 200k). Since I got the car, its been my trusty daily driver and fun machine having taken it on several road trips (including Yosemite) and have autocrossed with it. It's also pretty frugal getting about 27 mpg in mixed driving, although due to taller gearing than its hardtop siblings, it doesn't get mileage in the low 30s like they do (the cabrio has a 4.27 final drive ratio and the sedan and coupe have a 4.10). I highly recommend any of the '91 318i models to anyone looking to get into their first BMW. I'm soon retiring my car for weekend fun and buying an E36 318i for my commute.

Cabrio 4 ever
By 325i Cab on 01/30/06 07:02 AM (PST)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325i 2dr Convertible

I find this car fantastic, its fun to own and drive besides minor repairs it has been very reliable and not expensive to run and maintain. It still turns heads and is almost 16 years old!!! Good style BMW. The car has a split personality and will be very docile if left to its own devices but will become a beast if you demand it of it which brings me to the only thing I could do without is the relatively flat power band until the engine speeds over 3500RPM from where it just rockets to the red line with a fantastic engine sound that just encourages you to keep your foot down. I would advise anyone interested in such a car to buy it, if in good nick, and you wont look back

Affordable luxury car
By weterb on 09/04/05 18:36 PM (PDT)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325i 2dr Convertible

Excellent acceleration, handing, fuel economy. Sounds like a symphony as it works. A car with design depth. A 15 year old car that still is up to date and still turns heads.

I like my Cabrio
By John Jackie on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325i 2dr Convertible

My wife and I purchased a 325 cabriolet last year and could not be more happy. The only repairs after putting 15,000 miles on the car have been the brakes and a oil change. I asked her if there is anything we would change on the car and she answered which I agree with is only one thing the wind noise when the top is up on the freeway. Since it is not overall fast around town the car encourages you to drive within the speed limits (a good thing). We had a Saab 900 turbo convertable prior and this car is much more refined overall. The quality is tremendous. We plan to keep this car for many years to come.

the best car...
By fudave on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325i 2dr Convertible

i love it if every car i have owned drove this well i would be happy. i have to sell it and am going to miss it.

New Classic BMW
By DavisKL on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325i 2dr Convertible

Bought used from private party. Aprox. 70,000 miles, great condition all around, everything works great. I've owned 3 cars like this one and can safely say that they are VERY reliable. Of course, as old as they are, buy one as nice as you can, and treat it with a little TLC and it should reward you for years to come. If you want a daily driver, this could work, but serves much better as a cheap classic car for summer fun.