1991 BMW 3 Series 318is Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

1991 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Artie, my fiery red beamer
By " Artie Beamer "

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just purchased my 1991 BMW 318is coupe. I was looking for a car to replace my 1994 Volvo 850; I loved my Volvo but it was literally falling apart. I wanted to purchase a Land Rover Discovery Series SUV, but read so many bad reviews on this vehicle. My son and I were looking at cars at my favorite car lot; my son spotted the BMW at the back of the lot. It caught our eye. It was a one owner car in excellent condition; one look and we were hooked. I made an offer and the car was mine. My son and I waxed Artie and scented him with air freshener. Everywhere we go; people ask where did you get that car. It is definitely an eye capturer. My son says, aren't you glad I made you give up the Volvo.

Favorite Features

I love the classic look of the round front headlights. Also the interior has a neat, clean, simple look. I love the manual crank for the sun roof. Excellent trunk storage space. The body style is sporty. The leather seats are awesome, and the back seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car!
By gocanes14

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just recently got a 318is and it is a fun little car to drive. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and needs some things like new struts, rack and pinion, timing chain. It handles pretty good and I get pretty good mpgs when I dont drive it hard.

Favorite Features

glass headlights, manual transmission, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

A little more power couldn't hurt!

Best Value for a Fun Car
By Bill-B

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

My previous car was a 1993 Miata, and I didn't have high expectations for this car. I was wrong. This has been my favorite car so far. The car could be called underpowered, but then again an inline six was available for more power. The only work I have done is a waterpump and the belts. The car is a great daily driver, but the 4.10 diff makes it rev high at highway speeds. I love the ride of the car, firm but comfortable. I have H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, and suspension technique swaybars. I do look to upgrade the car in the future with a Downing Atlanta Supercharger (197 whp) and stiffer springs. Overall an awesome car that has classic good looks and drives well.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, 4.10 LSD, high-revving motor, classic good looks.

Suggested Improvements

I would say cupholders, but I have found that the cupholders from VW that fold down work perfect on the pass. side of the transmission tunnel.

I Love My 318is
By Bimmerhead

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car from the original owner with ~68,000 miles on it in 1998. It now has 165,000 aggressive miles on it and it has proven itself to be a VERY well built, reliable, fun to drive car. It has no torque and doesn't accelerate off the line well, but once up to speed on the highway, this car is very quick. You have to learn to keep the revs up. It eats gas for a four-banger, but it loves to rev. I've done H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hawk HP Plus pads and the car is very nimble and tossable. It's very reliable, entertaining transportation.

Favorite Features

These E30s are the pinnacle of BMW reliability. Light, agile car that handles like a BMW 2002. It's cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to work on and has some very sophisticated factory-trick components (ignition, headers, front suspension). It's FUN, FUN, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Supercharger for more low-end torque and cupholders. I replaced the front A-arms with e30M3 aluminum arms and offset urethane bushings. Makes for stronger front-end with better turn-in.

Like it almost as much as my 88 535is
By Eric

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is a great car, it handles like a go cart, is quick above 4000 rpms, great gas mileage, cool looks, easy to work on,g et good comments from non bimmerphiles, it is a very fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

Great styling, sunroof, sport seats, high revving motor.

Suggested Improvements

Low end power.

Cheap but fun.
By Hooked on Bimmers

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

With 170,000 miles on the clock, the car needs a few items replaced like the timing chain/gears. However, the engine is known to last beyond 300K miles if taken care of. This is my daily driver and the third bimmer in the household. It maybe cheap at under $3000, but it is more fun than the other two that cost over $30K. 2600lb chassis is unbelieveably nimble in corners and 16 year old 4 cyl engine is peppy enough to pull the car fast on the freeway entrances. Look for one with good maintenance record and pay below $3000. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual. Classy look. Simple car to work on. Bullet proof engine.

318is will last forever
By 318is

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I previously owned a '01 330i and I've had more fun and enjoyment with my '91 318is. From it's classic tight sports car ride on curvy roads to a high speed cruiser, I have a true gem. I've owned Mercedes, Triumphs, FIATs, as well as all types of American cars too. My 318is is very solid and well built and should last me another 100k miles (I purchased it in May of '05 with only 91k on the odometer). I recommend this car to anyone (young and old).

Favorite Features

old school styling, M3 suspension/handling, huge sun roof, gas mileage (even at > 80mph speeds), ease of maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Just a few more horses under the hood :)

I Love My Red Little Girl
By JP

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and have had it for 15 years. She has over 160,000 miles on her and still runs great - maybe even better than she used to. She's a 5 speed manual and loves being driven hard. Haven't had any problems-just routine maintenance issues. She's been nothing but reliable. I would get a newer one, but they've done away with that classic BMW. I also have an Audi A4 which I use in inclement weather due to the rear wheel drive of the BMW. But, when the roads are dry, I prefer the handling of my fun and faithful friend. After all, an automobile is about driving, and nothing's beats the Ultimate Driving Machine, no matter how old.

Favorite Features

Hugs the road beautifully. Love driving on winding back road - handling is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

They've made them all on the newer models.

Good, cheap way to join the BMW set...
By QuikCash

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car on the cheap for basic transportation and have been pleasantly surprised. While the acceleration will not excite, the handling is outstanding. Stops and turns on a dime. Not a good highway cruiser in my opinion, but great around town. Car is simple enough that maintenance is a do- it-yourself affair, and parts are not too expensive. Looks great, and in my opinion has a "classic" ambiance not present in the more modern E36 3- series.

Favorite Features

Sharp handling, easy maintenance

Suggested Improvements

No changes neccessary, this car was "it" at the time it was produced. Lack of cupholder, marginal fuel economy, and lack of power hurt it against more modern machines.

The best car I've ever owned!!!
By djgonzo

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Probably the best car I've ever owned including the 2000 Audi S4 I currently own! I bought the 318is with 142K miles on it and drove it for a year putting another 13,000 miles on it. I've regreted selling the car ever since and am ironically trying to purchase another at this time. The engine is strong acceleration is quick. Handling is quick and nimble. Interior is comfortable, easy to clean and looks great. The car has real "European" feel and design. I could go on and on about this car, it's very dependable and sporty. Has to be one of the best cars BMW has built.

Favorite Features

Styling, Sporty feel, very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS!!!