Used 1991 BMW 3 Series 318i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

LOVE my Bimmer!
By Erin

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

My first one was carried away by katrina. I loved it so much, I bought another just like it. It had 189k miles on it when I got it and now I've owned it for 4 years. Fuel mileage is around 30+ as long as ac is not running. Extremely fun to drive! I've only had to do maintenance on it (shocks, brake pads, etc). And of course new wheels and tires. I also had a turbine exhaust installed which made it quite a bit peppier and increased my gas mileage slightly. Now I have over 200k on it and am about to finally replace the timing chain, water pump, and fan clutch. Most expensive part was the top, which was around 2k installed. My new Acura sits in the driveway undriven. =)

Handling, Fuel mileage, Appearance (it's a looker!), Comfortable seats, Very high quality build, and just plain FUN!

Cup holders, install a sportier exhaust, front suspension, maybe later on add some more HP (gotta save up for that one!)

My New Baby
By stevo

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car, and in doing so I have learned a hard life's lesson. Have you car inspected before buying. I have not received the bill on repairs yet, but my trusty mechanic is ringing up some numbers and I don't expect them to be cheap. I have to over haul the entire suspension front and rear and then replace the clutch and fix a crazy amount of leaks that began after the 3 hour drive home after purchasing plus many many more items. After all this though, I freaking LOVE this car and no amount of money will force me to part from the sexy style and classic feel. Even on bad suspension she drove like a dream. It's my first classic BMW and definitely wont be my last.

even on run down parts, handles like nothing. classic BMW styling. comfortable seating for long drives. Parts are everywhere for these cars.

cup holders.

love my red
By ragtopper

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

Almost didn't buy this sweet little car, then the dealer dropped the price, so I took a closer look. Car had no working ac, was dripping oil like crazy, and had steering wheel wobble. I took a leap of faith and went for it. I went to work on the ac problem first preparing myself for the first big bimmer bill. It was missing a 12 buck belt. Then I tackled the oil leak. Loose bolts attaching the oil pan. Tightened them up and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Steering wheel vibration was caused by someone adding aftermarket momo wheels and not using hub centric spacer rings with the rotor extensions. This car currently has 198k miles and just flat out drives and corners like a dream. Love it.

old e30 styling, easy to work on, fun to drive, big trunk, easy to find parts.

just a little slow off the block

Frugal fun in the sun
By mgold

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I've owned this car since 1999 and have logged 115000 on the odometer (the car is about to hit 200k). Since I got the car, its been my trusty daily driver and fun machine having taken it on several road trips (including Yosemite) and have autocrossed with it. It's also pretty frugal getting about 27 mpg in mixed driving, although due to taller gearing than its hardtop siblings, it doesn't get mileage in the low 30s like they do (the cabrio has a 4.27 final drive ratio and the sedan and coupe have a 4.10). I highly recommend any of the '91 318i models to anyone looking to get into their first BMW. I'm soon retiring my car for weekend fun and buying an E36 318i for my commute.

Light and reasonably quick. Great ergonomics. Suprisingly roomy trunk. Frugal (on required 91 octane). Easy to maintain (the M42 is a very low maintenance motor). Very reliable and easy to work on (when I have the time). Great color (lagunengrün metallic).

Cupholders would have been nice. I added the BMW accessory cupholder, but can only use it in the passenger door (it's too tight to use in the drivers door). I highly recommend all convertible owners invest in a front strut bar. A little more rear legroom in all E30s might have been nice too.