Used 1991 BMW 3 Series 318i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Love driving it
By kj

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This car replaced my old Honda CRX, itself a marvelous car. My 318i is truly an amazing car, looks gorgeous and drives like a race car. VERY stable at high speeds, outsanding on turns. Repairs can be high, but there is no new car out there that compares, so it is worth the cost. Never thought I would "miss" a car like I do this one when I'm in another car. Looks, handling and fun to drive, although rather unrefined by today's standards. I plan to update the suspension and brakes soon, have replaced water pump, radiator and all hoses. At 200,000 miles, this car runs great!

Favorite Features

Go-cart handling, how it takes sharp turns, classic boxy style and bright red paint, spartan interior, sharp shifting.

Suggested Improvements

None. With proper (but rather pricey) repairs, these cars can run like new.

Will buy another; great car!
By Santi

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for just over two years now. I have looked into selling it to buy a new, nicer BMW 5 series and was unable to sell this old 3 series! It is a great driver, one of the funnest on the road that I have been in. 17 years old and it's still put together well. This car is so small it can park anywhere, and with great gas mileage it is the perfect city car. I have recently put in over $7,000 to restore this car to like-new condition - IT'S THAT GOOD. :)

It's an above average car
By Timmy T

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I got the car with 95k miles. It now has 110k on it. I have replaced the 1 of the 2 fuel pumps, the lower ball joint on the passenger side, and a new front passenger door. I hopped a curb and hit a tree in the winter, the front wheel was barely pushed back, so now the car drifts to the right. The ABS still works! :). It needs brakes, which im neglecting to do, regardless this car stops and turns on a dime. The engine however makes a funny "buzzing" noise which i havent had looked at yet. The oil smells gasy as well.

Favorite Features

ABS, 4-Wheel disc brakes, My Flowmaster muffler :P, power windows, 5 spd, steering/seats/ride is all ok, safe feeling driving car for some reason, the paint looks cool especially with my windo tint

Suggested Improvements

tighter steering, better gas mileage (27mpg is my best), how do you turn the M-Fing inspection lights off?!?!?!?!?!

320,000 miles and still Love It
By TTest

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I have put over 320k miles on my 318I with only normal maintenance.30+ MPG at 70-75 MPH.Very comfortable with large trunk. I still love my 90 mile daily roundtrip in my BMW.

Favorite Features

Handling,ride,Sound System and seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior lighting

best car I ever had
By HoustonianBMW

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 140,000 miles almost five years ago. I now have 225,000 miles on it after daily commutes and a trip from Texas to NY. I have changed the fuel pump and a few rotted hoses, but this car is super reliable. I was hit from behind by an accord last summer, and while it crushed in the entire front end of their car, I just suffered a small dent, and a slightly crumpled exhaust. The car still drives great after the accident and even after the big flood in Houston which left me with water over my seats. If I ever replace it it will only be for another BMW!

Favorite Features

large sunroof, tool kit in trunk

Suggested Improvements

could use cupholders