1991 BMW 3 Series 318i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

LOVE my Bimmer!
By Erin

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

My first one was carried away by katrina. I loved it so much, I bought another just like it. It had 189k miles on it when I got it and now I've owned it for 4 years. Fuel mileage is around 30+ as long as ac is not running. Extremely fun to drive! I've only had to do maintenance on it (shocks, brake pads, etc). And of course new wheels and tires. I also had a turbine exhaust installed which made it quite a bit peppier and increased my gas mileage slightly. Now I have over 200k on it and am about to finally replace the timing chain, water pump, and fan clutch. Most expensive part was the top, which was around 2k installed. My new Acura sits in the driveway undriven. =)

Favorite Features

Handling, Fuel mileage, Appearance (it's a looker!), Comfortable seats, Very high quality build, and just plain FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, install a sportier exhaust, front suspension, maybe later on add some more HP (gotta save up for that one!)

My New Baby
By stevo

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car, and in doing so I have learned a hard life's lesson. Have you car inspected before buying. I have not received the bill on repairs yet, but my trusty mechanic is ringing up some numbers and I don't expect them to be cheap. I have to over haul the entire suspension front and rear and then replace the clutch and fix a crazy amount of leaks that began after the 3 hour drive home after purchasing plus many many more items. After all this though, I freaking LOVE this car and no amount of money will force me to part from the sexy style and classic feel. Even on bad suspension she drove like a dream. It's my first classic BMW and definitely wont be my last.

Favorite Features

even on run down parts, handles like nothing. classic BMW styling. comfortable seating for long drives. Parts are everywhere for these cars.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders.

love my red
By ragtopper

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

Almost didn't buy this sweet little car, then the dealer dropped the price, so I took a closer look. Car had no working ac, was dripping oil like crazy, and had steering wheel wobble. I took a leap of faith and went for it. I went to work on the ac problem first preparing myself for the first big bimmer bill. It was missing a 12 buck belt. Then I tackled the oil leak. Loose bolts attaching the oil pan. Tightened them up and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Steering wheel vibration was caused by someone adding aftermarket momo wheels and not using hub centric spacer rings with the rotor extensions. This car currently has 198k miles and just flat out drives and corners like a dream. Love it.

Favorite Features

old e30 styling, easy to work on, fun to drive, big trunk, easy to find parts.

Suggested Improvements

just a little slow off the block

Artie, my fiery red beamer
By " Artie Beamer "

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just purchased my 1991 BMW 318is coupe. I was looking for a car to replace my 1994 Volvo 850; I loved my Volvo but it was literally falling apart. I wanted to purchase a Land Rover Discovery Series SUV, but read so many bad reviews on this vehicle. My son and I were looking at cars at my favorite car lot; my son spotted the BMW at the back of the lot. It caught our eye. It was a one owner car in excellent condition; one look and we were hooked. I made an offer and the car was mine. My son and I waxed Artie and scented him with air freshener. Everywhere we go; people ask where did you get that car. It is definitely an eye capturer. My son says, aren't you glad I made you give up the Volvo.

Favorite Features

I love the classic look of the round front headlights. Also the interior has a neat, clean, simple look. I love the manual crank for the sun roof. Excellent trunk storage space. The body style is sporty. The leather seats are awesome, and the back seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car!
By gocanes14

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just recently got a 318is and it is a fun little car to drive. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and needs some things like new struts, rack and pinion, timing chain. It handles pretty good and I get pretty good mpgs when I dont drive it hard.

Favorite Features

glass headlights, manual transmission, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

A little more power couldn't hurt!

Love this car
By howard

1991 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Coupe

I have had many cars in my life but this is my favorite. I just love this car. The timeless classic style and she handles great. This is my first BMW. I bought it on a whim for $1800 and instantly fell in love with her. She runs great but needs some minor fixes. My new passion and hobby will be to provide all the TLC she needs and restore her to the ultimate driving machine she was meant to be.

Favorite Features

Style and handling.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder

Love driving it
By kj

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This car replaced my old Honda CRX, itself a marvelous car. My 318i is truly an amazing car, looks gorgeous and drives like a race car. VERY stable at high speeds, outsanding on turns. Repairs can be high, but there is no new car out there that compares, so it is worth the cost. Never thought I would "miss" a car like I do this one when I'm in another car. Looks, handling and fun to drive, although rather unrefined by today's standards. I plan to update the suspension and brakes soon, have replaced water pump, radiator and all hoses. At 200,000 miles, this car runs great!

Favorite Features

Go-cart handling, how it takes sharp turns, classic boxy style and bright red paint, spartan interior, sharp shifting.

Suggested Improvements

None. With proper (but rather pricey) repairs, these cars can run like new.

Will buy another; great car!
By Santi

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for just over two years now. I have looked into selling it to buy a new, nicer BMW 5 series and was unable to sell this old 3 series! It is a great driver, one of the funnest on the road that I have been in. 17 years old and it's still put together well. This car is so small it can park anywhere, and with great gas mileage it is the perfect city car. I have recently put in over $7,000 to restore this car to like-new condition - IT'S THAT GOOD. :)

Best Value for a Fun Car
By Bill-B

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

My previous car was a 1993 Miata, and I didn't have high expectations for this car. I was wrong. This has been my favorite car so far. The car could be called underpowered, but then again an inline six was available for more power. The only work I have done is a waterpump and the belts. The car is a great daily driver, but the 4.10 diff makes it rev high at highway speeds. I love the ride of the car, firm but comfortable. I have H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, and suspension technique swaybars. I do look to upgrade the car in the future with a Downing Atlanta Supercharger (197 whp) and stiffer springs. Overall an awesome car that has classic good looks and drives well.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, 4.10 LSD, high-revving motor, classic good looks.

Suggested Improvements

I would say cupholders, but I have found that the cupholders from VW that fold down work perfect on the pass. side of the transmission tunnel.

I Love My 318is
By Bimmerhead

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my car from the original owner with ~68,000 miles on it in 1998. It now has 165,000 aggressive miles on it and it has proven itself to be a VERY well built, reliable, fun to drive car. It has no torque and doesn't accelerate off the line well, but once up to speed on the highway, this car is very quick. You have to learn to keep the revs up. It eats gas for a four-banger, but it loves to rev. I've done H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hawk HP Plus pads and the car is very nimble and tossable. It's very reliable, entertaining transportation.

Favorite Features

These E30s are the pinnacle of BMW reliability. Light, agile car that handles like a BMW 2002. It's cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to work on and has some very sophisticated factory-trick components (ignition, headers, front suspension). It's FUN, FUN, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Supercharger for more low-end torque and cupholders. I replaced the front A-arms with e30M3 aluminum arms and offset urethane bushings. Makes for stronger front-end with better turn-in.