Used 1991 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

LOVE my Bimmer!
By Erin

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

My first one was carried away by katrina. I loved it so much, I bought another just like it. It had 189k miles on it when I got it and now I've owned it for 4 years. Fuel mileage is around 30+ as long as ac is not running. Extremely fun to drive! I've only had to do maintenance on it (shocks, brake pads, etc). And of course new wheels and tires. I also had a turbine exhaust installed which made it quite a bit peppier and increased my gas mileage slightly. Now I have over 200k on it and am about to finally replace the timing chain, water pump, and fan clutch. Most expensive part was the top, which was around 2k installed. My new Acura sits in the driveway undriven. =)

Favorite Features

Handling, Fuel mileage, Appearance (it's a looker!), Comfortable seats, Very high quality build, and just plain FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, install a sportier exhaust, front suspension, maybe later on add some more HP (gotta save up for that one!)

My New Baby
By stevo

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car, and in doing so I have learned a hard life's lesson. Have you car inspected before buying. I have not received the bill on repairs yet, but my trusty mechanic is ringing up some numbers and I don't expect them to be cheap. I have to over haul the entire suspension front and rear and then replace the clutch and fix a crazy amount of leaks that began after the 3 hour drive home after purchasing plus many many more items. After all this though, I freaking LOVE this car and no amount of money will force me to part from the sexy style and classic feel. Even on bad suspension she drove like a dream. It's my first classic BMW and definitely wont be my last.

Favorite Features

even on run down parts, handles like nothing. classic BMW styling. comfortable seating for long drives. Parts are everywhere for these cars.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders.

love my red
By ragtopper

1991 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

Almost didn't buy this sweet little car, then the dealer dropped the price, so I took a closer look. Car had no working ac, was dripping oil like crazy, and had steering wheel wobble. I took a leap of faith and went for it. I went to work on the ac problem first preparing myself for the first big bimmer bill. It was missing a 12 buck belt. Then I tackled the oil leak. Loose bolts attaching the oil pan. Tightened them up and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Steering wheel vibration was caused by someone adding aftermarket momo wheels and not using hub centric spacer rings with the rotor extensions. This car currently has 198k miles and just flat out drives and corners like a dream. Love it.

Favorite Features

old e30 styling, easy to work on, fun to drive, big trunk, easy to find parts.

Suggested Improvements

just a little slow off the block

Artie, my fiery red beamer
By " Artie Beamer "

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just purchased my 1991 BMW 318is coupe. I was looking for a car to replace my 1994 Volvo 850; I loved my Volvo but it was literally falling apart. I wanted to purchase a Land Rover Discovery Series SUV, but read so many bad reviews on this vehicle. My son and I were looking at cars at my favorite car lot; my son spotted the BMW at the back of the lot. It caught our eye. It was a one owner car in excellent condition; one look and we were hooked. I made an offer and the car was mine. My son and I waxed Artie and scented him with air freshener. Everywhere we go; people ask where did you get that car. It is definitely an eye capturer. My son says, aren't you glad I made you give up the Volvo.

Favorite Features

I love the classic look of the round front headlights. Also the interior has a neat, clean, simple look. I love the manual crank for the sun roof. Excellent trunk storage space. The body style is sporty. The leather seats are awesome, and the back seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car!
By gocanes14

1991 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I just recently got a 318is and it is a fun little car to drive. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and needs some things like new struts, rack and pinion, timing chain. It handles pretty good and I get pretty good mpgs when I dont drive it hard.

Favorite Features

glass headlights, manual transmission, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

A little more power couldn't hurt!