Used 1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The car of the decade
By Isaiah Liepold

1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

The car is flawless, you cant have fun in it. The design is superb and I would drive nothing else. Not a fast car but it is very quick and can give most new cars a run for their money. Reliability is great if it has had good owners. Easy to modify and work on. DONT BUY IT IF YOU ARE NOT AN ENTHUSIAST!

Quick, sporty and nimble. very organic, you don't get any features and I don't care.

Keep her nice and you wont have issues. Free flow exhaust, re chip, cold air intake, coil-overs the sky is the limit. Just don't over do it!

Possibly the greatest car ever made ... If you know how to drive
By mobius1127

1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

Well this is my first car a 1988 BMW 325is 5-speed , but have driven newer BMWs and can say that not much else drives as good as a well sorted e30 does , and nothing that I've driven drives better . I will say that the e30 in stock form is not very fast it will move once you get the engine on cam 2400-5500rpm , but e30s are momentum cars not drag racers , e30s handle very well if you know what your doing , the steering is second to nothing , the brakes are surprisingly good , and the handling is very good, but if you screw up there are NO safety nets , you have ABS that's it e30s love oversteer , you will most likely flip the car around at least once , so buy the best tires you can afford

Handling , handling , handling , engines are very good and if kept up correctly will run for ever

Tilting steering colum , i cant think of anything else

Amazing, Amazing car. I'll miss it.
By gawdzila

1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

I got a 1987 BMW 325iS as my very first car. It had about 155k miles. I had it for 13 years. While it had a few issues over the years (ECU, radiator fan, brake master cyl, clutch, routine stuff like brakes and timing belt; expected after 200k miles+), it was VERY reliable. The engine was glorious to rev and got good mpg. The ride and handling was great, and was perfect after getting H&R+Bilsteins. Very fun and easy to live with. Sadly, my car's life was ended by an errant elderly man driving a beat up Toyota, who hit it while it was parked. It had 300,000 miles on it, and was still fun to drive every day. I loved my car dearly, and will be getting another BMW. R.I.P, my old E30.

Fun engine with a peaky, strong powerband that comes alive above 3000rpm or so. Loves to rev, and makes beautiful music. Manual transmission was smooth as butter. Quick, precise steering. Very tossable, with a tendancy towards oversteer (you'll spin it in the wet if you aren't careful). Solid-feeling everything. Clutch has a firm feel, and the steering is weighty for precision at speed. Simplistic and somewhat dated styling but, when clean, they are still beautiful cars. They aren't always easy to find anymore, but if you find one in good condition, an E30 BMW will steal your heart. This car has a cult following, and for good reason.

If they started producing the E30 again, I'd tell them to leave it as is. Maybe little things, like more modern engine management electronics or something, but people still love the E30 exactly because it is a fun, light-weight sports car, unburdened by excessive insulation, wood trim, and modern luxury amenities. Not that I don't love the newer BMW's, but the E30 still has a unique character that has not been reproduced, by BMW or by anyone else, and it is still a worthwhile car because of that.

E30 vs Porsche 944
By Killer E30

1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325i 2dr Coupe

I have owned 11 cars in the past 10 years from VW Jetta, to Audi v8 quattro and Porsche 944, the 2 best being the Porsche 944 and 86 BMW 325e I have now. Only reason I liked the Porsche better is that there was no understeer during harsh cornering, the BMW 325e kinda feels like my '92 Subaru Legacy when pushed in corners but not as much understeer however very refined and still a great alternative to many new performance cars made today with an E36 M3 engine swap it should be even more devastating this car is still better in other ways than the 944 like reliability. With racing dynamics tower brace, bilstein shocks and H&R springs it helps me keep up with a Cayman S on twisties literally.

I love the old school styling, smooth and sufficient torque, the '86 325e for economy is not a slouch when mated with Jim Comforti chip, K&N cone filter intake and of course ME. I love the smooth but yet quick and precise steering response it has with the upgraded suspension components.

Production of this gem has passed but bmw should have given it a turbo like the 2008 135 for easier power increase regardless of it outperforming the M3 which it can anyway with available powergrades and its 2.7L engine vs the M3 2.3L with the same 170 ft.lb. torque available at higher revs.

Have to drive it to believe it!
By 1989 bmw 325is

1990 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325is 2dr Coupe

I bought the 325is used with 170k for $2.5k and spent another $4k to recondition the BMW. Guess what? It worth every single penny! The 325is has great interior features, reliable German engine, excellent handling on highway and street.

It has to be the large power sunroof. Also, the racing style seat is not too bad either. Although the one I have is an automatic (being lazy and all), I would really recommend a stick shift (5sp). It just adds that much fun to driving.

The model could use some 16 inches deep dish BBS rims instead of the 14 inches they have on all the e30 bmw. I have no complaint for anything else.