1990 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Oldie but Goodie
By zoolander1 on 08/16/13 11:58 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 1989 BMW 325i with 138k miles from its original owner. It's in perfect running condition and cosmetically it's near perfect if not immaculate. I changed the transmission and made it a 5 speed just for preferance but the 4 Speed automatic transmission was flawless. I get about 23.5 combined mpg with either transmission with mostly hwy driving. I have put 5500 miles and I trully love this car that I picked up for cheap.

Possibly the greatest car ever made ... If you know how to drive
By mobius1127 on 07/30/12 21:20 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

Well this is my first car a 1988 BMW 325is 5-speed , but have driven newer BMWs and can say that not much else drives as good as a well sorted e30 does , and nothing that I've driven drives better . I will say that the e30 in stock form is not very fast it will move once you get the engine on cam 2400-5500rpm , but e30s are momentum cars not drag racers , e30s handle very well if you know what your doing , the steering is second to nothing , the brakes are surprisingly good , and the handling is very good, but if you screw up there are NO safety nets , you have ABS that's it e30s love oversteer , you will most likely flip the car around at least once , so buy the best tires you can afford

Amazing, Amazing car. I'll miss it.
By gawdzila on 12/10/10 01:51 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

I got a 1987 BMW 325iS as my very first car. It had about 155k miles. I had it for 13 years. While it had a few issues over the years (ECU, radiator fan, brake master cyl, clutch, routine stuff like brakes and timing belt; expected after 200k miles+), it was VERY reliable. The engine was glorious to rev and got good mpg. The ride and handling was great, and was perfect after getting H&R+Bilsteins. Very fun and easy to live with. Sadly, my car's life was ended by an errant elderly man driving a beat up Toyota, who hit it while it was parked. It had 300,000 miles on it, and was still fun to drive every day. I loved my car dearly, and will be getting another BMW. R.I.P, my old E30.

Best Car Ever
By SurfinSan Diego on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

Owned this car for 11 years. No major repairs. As reliable as they come.Looks great if cared for. This car has been a beast. Hate to part with it but after 273,000 miles afraid it is only a matter of time. Could not have asked more from this car. Exceeded my expectations.

A practical beauty with a lot of zazz!
By cyberork on 03/27/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

I bought this car in 2004 and drove it as daily driver until I switched over to a Porsche 993. Since then she is my backup, but I just can't part from her. She has been very reliable as a daily driver as well as on long multi-state drives in any weather conditions. This car is very practical as a convertible, it has a decent trunk space and can chauffeur 4 adults, for a BMW cheap to repair and (when washed/waxed) gets a lot of looks and questions. The car is very responsive, reacts quickly with a slight understeer. Get it as a manual with a manual top. This is a GREAT package of beauty, driving fun, high reliability and practicality and the convertible is guaranteed to become a classic.

E30 vs Porsche 944
By Killer E30 on 08/31/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Coupe

I have owned 11 cars in the past 10 years from VW Jetta, to Audi v8 quattro and Porsche 944, the 2 best being the Porsche 944 and 86 BMW 325e I have now. Only reason I liked the Porsche better is that there was no understeer during harsh cornering, the BMW 325e kinda feels like my '92 Subaru Legacy when pushed in corners but not as much understeer however very refined and still a great alternative to many new performance cars made today with an E36 M3 engine swap it should be even more devastating this car is still better in other ways than the 944 like reliability. With racing dynamics tower brace, bilstein shocks and H&R springs it helps me keep up with a Cayman S on twisties literally.

Keeps on going
By roys on 02/17/07 16:42 PM (PST)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

This is a great car. The kind you WANT to keep on the road. Engine will run for 300,000 miles. Happy motoring.

Have to drive it to believe it!
By 1989 bmw 325is on 08/22/06 02:04 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

I bought the 325is used with 170k for $2.5k and spent another $4k to recondition the BMW. Guess what? It worth every single penny! The 325is has great interior features, reliable German engine, excellent handling on highway and street.

A real enthusiast car
By mikeygervais on 11/29/05 22:52 PM (PST)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325iX 2dr Coupe AWD

This car handles better than my Mini cooper. If you love to drive, this is a really fun car, especially if you install an aftermarket sport suspension. With the right tires, this car is almost impossible to spin out of control. The downsides are: the cost of the replacement parts are twice a regular E30; fuel economy drops to about 20 city, 23 hwy, and its a bit heavier (3000 lbs) compared to a regular E30 (2840 lb), hince a little slower. The 1988 was the best year, had all the best options, fender flares, Recaro seats, power everything.

My Fun Secret
By Hwy1Cruiser on 09/12/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for $2500, with 180k miles on it so it needed some basic mechanical attention. Mostly tired parts, but nothing wrong with the engine at all. Being that I have access to parts at cost and I do all my own work, it may not be a fair assessment however I LOVE this car! For me the parts are cheap, the work is easy and as long as you take care of the wear items, it will run forever. OK maybe not forever but I recently turned 200,000 miles and I'm proud of it. I look forward to hitting the 250k mark. I will drive this car anywhere without worry. This weekend I am taking it to LA from San Francisco and expect it to be a sweet ride down Hwy 1!