Used 1990 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The car of the decade
By Isaiah Liepold

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

The car is flawless, you cant have fun in it. The design is superb and I would drive nothing else. Not a fast car but it is very quick and can give most new cars a run for their money. Reliability is great if it has had good owners. Easy to modify and work on. DONT BUY IT IF YOU ARE NOT AN ENTHUSIAST!

Favorite Features

Quick, sporty and nimble. very organic, you don't get any features and I don't care.

Suggested Improvements

Keep her nice and you wont have issues. Free flow exhaust, re chip, cold air intake, coil-overs the sky is the limit. Just don't over do it!

Oldie but Goodie
By zoolander1

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 1989 BMW 325i with 138k miles from its original owner. It's in perfect running condition and cosmetically it's near perfect if not immaculate. I changed the transmission and made it a 5 speed just for preferance but the 4 Speed automatic transmission was flawless. I get about 23.5 combined mpg with either transmission with mostly hwy driving. I have put 5500 miles and I trully love this car that I picked up for cheap.

Favorite Features

driving dynamics, overall feel and quality of materials. Ergonomics for a 25 year old car are ahead of its time as wheel as the tecnology througout the components. The alpina paint shows very little sign of oxydation and or rust. The interior is PERFECT and everything works.

Suggested Improvements

If you haven't driven one and are in the market for one, realize that these cars are 20+ years old and with that come different issues that you must consider: no airbags, no arm rests, no cup holders and limited passenger room. You must stay on top of maintenance in order to retain its value and its reliability. There is plenty of aftermarket/used parts available to keep your car on the road for years to come.

Possibly the greatest car ever made ... If you know how to drive
By mobius1127

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

Well this is my first car a 1988 BMW 325is 5-speed , but have driven newer BMWs and can say that not much else drives as good as a well sorted e30 does , and nothing that I've driven drives better . I will say that the e30 in stock form is not very fast it will move once you get the engine on cam 2400-5500rpm , but e30s are momentum cars not drag racers , e30s handle very well if you know what your doing , the steering is second to nothing , the brakes are surprisingly good , and the handling is very good, but if you screw up there are NO safety nets , you have ABS that's it e30s love oversteer , you will most likely flip the car around at least once , so buy the best tires you can afford

Favorite Features

Handling , handling , handling , engines are very good and if kept up correctly will run for ever

Suggested Improvements

Tilting steering colum , i cant think of anything else

Amazing, Amazing car. I'll miss it.
By gawdzila

1990 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

I got a 1987 BMW 325iS as my very first car. It had about 155k miles. I had it for 13 years. While it had a few issues over the years (ECU, radiator fan, brake master cyl, clutch, routine stuff like brakes and timing belt; expected after 200k miles+), it was VERY reliable. The engine was glorious to rev and got good mpg. The ride and handling was great, and was perfect after getting H&R+Bilsteins. Very fun and easy to live with. Sadly, my car's life was ended by an errant elderly man driving a beat up Toyota, who hit it while it was parked. It had 300,000 miles on it, and was still fun to drive every day. I loved my car dearly, and will be getting another BMW. R.I.P, my old E30.

Favorite Features

Fun engine with a peaky, strong powerband that comes alive above 3000rpm or so. Loves to rev, and makes beautiful music. Manual transmission was smooth as butter. Quick, precise steering. Very tossable, with a tendancy towards oversteer (you'll spin it in the wet if you aren't careful). Solid-feeling everything. Clutch has a firm feel, and the steering is weighty for precision at speed. Simplistic and somewhat dated styling but, when clean, they are still beautiful cars. They aren't always easy to find anymore, but if you find one in good condition, an E30 BMW will steal your heart. This car has a cult following, and for good reason.

Suggested Improvements

If they started producing the E30 again, I'd tell them to leave it as is. Maybe little things, like more modern engine management electronics or something, but people still love the E30 exactly because it is a fun, light-weight sports car, unburdened by excessive insulation, wood trim, and modern luxury amenities. Not that I don't love the newer BMW's, but the E30 still has a unique character that has not been reproduced, by BMW or by anyone else, and it is still a worthwhile car because of that.

Best Car Ever
By SurfinSan Diego

1990 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

Owned this car for 11 years. No major repairs. As reliable as they come.Looks great if cared for. This car has been a beast. Hate to part with it but after 273,000 miles afraid it is only a matter of time. Could not have asked more from this car. Exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Features

Riding with the top down

Suggested Improvements

Add cup holders