2016 BMW 2 Series M235i Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2 Series model:

Dissapointing
By Ross N

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The BMW M235. Automotive journalists seem to love this car. It ranks highly in every road test or comparison test. I think Consumer Reports rated it as the best new car you can buy. I've test driven it a few times and scratch my head.

People say is faster than the old E92 M3 and maybe it is, but the joy of driving it is gone. It is a stellar performer. On my last test drive, triple digit speeds were no problem. It handled well, the brakes work well and the auto tranny is great to shift in manual mode. For me, the car did everything too well, but there was no sense of purpose or drama. I love to drive and want a visceral experience every time I'm behind the wheel. While the car is fast and comfortable (The inflatable seat bolsters are a nice touch), it lacks mojo. The engine is too smooth. I want to FEEL THE POWER, but haven't been able to. Honestly, I think the BMW 228 has better power delivery, it just needs more power/ torque. The problem with that car is the small power band. It feels great between 4000-6300 RPM, but feels flat everywhere else in the powerband. Meanwhile, it's better reviewed brother has more power, is faster, but feels less alive. I haven't driven the M2 yet so I can't compare. If BMW made a high-pressure, turbo four cylinder 2 series, that might be better.

As for features- BMW makes one of the best built in nav systems there is. The H&K stereo is just OK. Its not super hi-fi in this BMW. I was able to fit 2 short adults in the backseat without them complaining.

Overall, if you want to go fast and aren't a driving enthusiast I'd say to get the car. If you're a driving enthusiast like me, where speed is good but dynamics are key, I'd skip the car. I think the 228 is the better car and is cheaper then the M235. The slogan is The Ultimate Driving Machine, but ultimately, the M235i was a letdown. It was fast, smooth and comfortable, but it lacked the undefinable quality which is driving pleasure.

Pocket rocket
By Stuart

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Fast car not quite as sporty unless driven in sport mode then much more impressive. Do not like that tires are not runflat and there is no spare.
Still flawless performer. 12k miles lots of fun. Only concern is tires.