2014 BMW 2 Series Consumer Review: Outstanding Coupe!

2014 BMW 2 Series - Consumer Review

228i Coupe (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 8-speed Automatic)

Outstanding Coupe!
By clint76 on

2014 BMW 2 Series 228i 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Overall an outstanding coupe, significant improvement over the 1 series. The engine is impressive with no noticeable turbo lag, steering has been lightened up in the comfort mode but does get heavier in the sport mode. Handling in the corners is on rails, wish I was back in Germany driving on the autobahn! Interior design is well thought out, controls are easy to use and the temp display is visible with polarized sunglasses now (a problem in my 330xi). Trunk space is good and with the seats down there's lots of room to carry cargo. Back seats are OK for a short drive but I rarely have anyone in the back seats so no big deal for me. Got the mineral grey color/black interior looks great!

Favorite Features

Engine,overall handling and ride comfort.

Suggested Improvements

None
By hoosierdaddyb
on 08/27/14 00:01 AM (PDT)

I just received my M235i and it is a fantastic car -- I have driven over 20 cars over the last 4 years and this is the one that got me. However, the dealership I worked with either a) was extremely unknowledgeable about their vehicles or b) lied to rip me off -- which is a shame since I am a 2X new car customer with them. Warning: I built it from the '14 specs in June and BMW changed model years immediately after the order. The dealership blamed this change in an attempt to cover errors and adds on the order. After a month, I finally had to contact him to get the production number (avoidance) and he said some of the options I wanted were no longer offered by BMW (the hexagon finish with blue trim -- ummm, became standard so not hard to discover this one) and some options were added/changed -- such as adding a back-up camera. Why would I want that? Anyway, the most important change: "mixed summer tires" became "all-season tires" -- nothing on the web-site indicates any changes to the vehicle due to this selection. However, a very deep dive into the spec sheets noted this option deletes another option (Increased Top Speed 840), so the limit is 130 (l already proved it) and for some stupid reason (cost benefit to BMW I'm sure) the tires change from a stagger 225/245 to 225s all around. This GREATLY impacts performance and is just plain stupid. During purchase, I directly asked the salesman if selecting the "mixed summer" option changed the tire size, performance or ANY aspect of the car. He said it did not. A second lie caught in writing. I am fighting now to get ALL of the options I PAID for by getting the M235i vs a 228i ($11,000 worth to be exact). The option boxes actually REDUCE costs for BMW (like no moon-roof or a 6-speed, which of course I got) but they do not pass-on any savings to consumers ($0 options). The tires can be changed for the season (we get a month or so of winter), but lowering the limiter and changing the rims?! The lack of a stagger really hurts handling and shouldn't be changed under any circumstance and the limiter change is a slap in the face. Pathetic move by BMW (The Ultimate Driving Machine) and the dealership for employing tactics to "squeeze" more money out of consumers. I believe better treatment should be standard for a $50,000 car. BTW -- the dealership (in TN) didn't even tell me the car was in (much less give me a date or offer the driving school option) -- it appeared they were making it a "tester" for a week or two since they have none. Now the car is a fantastic mix of luxury and performance. It beat easily beat out the (I find it hard to believe it puts 333 HP at the wheels) S4 I tested the week before (I liked my 6-speed '08 328i w/Sport package better), and don't let the critics fool you, the Audi and that cheap interior of the Mercedes is not higher quality -- the BMW is beautiful. FYI: The Audi salesman's wife drives a 335, if that says anything.