Traded a Z4 for a 128i Convertible
By danwatson on
2013 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I bought a 2003 Z4 ten years ago and thoroughly enjoyed driving it for 55,000 miles. At the age of 52, it was a great purchase. At 62, with bad knees, and 6'3", it became more difficult to get in and out of. And, being a roadster with a small trunk, it wasn't good for more than a quick overnight trip. So, we traded it on a '13 128i convertible and so far, it's a wise decision. Had to special order it since I wanted a manual transmission and was willing to pay only for the options I wanted. Only 1000 miles so far, so it's too soon to determine reliability. The fit and finish is typical BMW qaulity and the engine and transmission are smooth.
Favorite Features
The car handles exceptionally well. The run flats have improved over what was on my Z4. Seating in front is very comfortable. The inline 6 is a proven workhorse and I expect to get good service out of it. Interior fit and finish is great. I ordered vermillion red with sandal interior and it really stands out.
Suggested Improvements
The back seats aren't good for anything but luggage, dogs, and very small kids. But, if I wanted a bigger rear seat, I'd have gotten a 3 series. The car has more technology than I want, but I'm sure many will like it.