Used 2013 BMW 1 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Bmw 1-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

DCT was not made for city traffic
By bxsvx01

2013 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased this 135i in 2013. My first new BMW. I am a big time auto enthusiast and had to jump on the 135i before the electric steering came in. The 135i has been pretty reliable but there are a few issues that are worth noting, such as dash and suspension squeaks. The car drinks gas, I avg about 13mpg on NYC roads. Also the DCT has a horrible lag on initial take off, I took it to the dealer for a software update and it helped but still not satisfactory to me. The only benefit I have seen with the DCT is the lightning quick shifts which is only great at high speeds. If you won't track the car often, I suggest the regular auto over the DCT.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine. Simple layout. Exhaust when fully opened.

Suggested Improvements

-Improve DCT for smoother and responsive take offs. -Engine is noisy.

Fair Car Needs Modification to Be Good
By rudycassap

2013 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i SULEV 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After coming out of a Scion FR-S, I felt the suspension in the 128i M Sport to still be too soft and sloppy (lots of roll and bounce). Car improved with a Dinan Stage 1 suspension (Konis and shorter springs). Then ditched the Goodyear Eagel Run on Flat tires for Bridgestone Potenza S-04 summer tires and now it is comfortable, sporty, and actually quieter in the cabin. Car has adequate power but could use a little more horsepower for freeway passing - I guess they could not step all over the 135i. Best part is the silky smooth Inline 6 cylinder engine without the turbo issues that plague many BMWs. Cabin and trunk are a little small, but enthusiasts actually love this chassis more than M3.

Favorite Features

Still offers a 6 speed manual, M Sport Package wheels look great, traditional emergency brake (no electronic stuff), Inline 6 engine is silky smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a spare tire from Bavauto and then swap out the run flat tires. Technology could be better than the same Harmon Kardon radio that was in my 2003 328i. Bluetooth and Assist should be standard.

Last of N/A Inline Sixes
By 71boattail

2013 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i SULEV 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After test driving many coupes in the $30-$40K range, I drove the 128i on a whim thinking I would check it off the list and move on. After driving it however, I pulled out the checkbook. There are cars with more power and better styling, but I couldn't find any that had the combination of performance, handling and quality for the money.

Favorite Features

That glorious inline 6. Smooth as silk.

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhaust for the 128i - though not really an issue for the new 228i as it will be a 4.