Used 2013 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Bmw 1-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

DCT was not made for city traffic
By bxsvx01

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased this 135i in 2013. My first new BMW. I am a big time auto enthusiast and had to jump on the 135i before the electric steering came in. The 135i has been pretty reliable but there are a few issues that are worth noting, such as dash and suspension squeaks. The car drinks gas, I avg about 13mpg on NYC roads. Also the DCT has a horrible lag on initial take off, I took it to the dealer for a software update and it helped but still not satisfactory to me. The only benefit I have seen with the DCT is the lightning quick shifts which is only great at high speeds. If you won't track the car often, I suggest the regular auto over the DCT.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine. Simple layout. Exhaust when fully opened.

Suggested Improvements

-Improve DCT for smoother and responsive take offs. -Engine is noisy.

Excellent car - mixed bag transmission
By kjgood

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second 135i convertible, and I have over 20k on this car at the time of this review. I was somewhat reluctant to order it with the then-new-to-the-135 7-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of the manual, but I was persuaded by the thought of the lightning-fast shifts and the advantage of being able to select between auto and manual modes. The reality is that in manual mode, and even auto mode for fast acceleration, the transmission is brilliant. But in stop-start, mundane "through the neighborhood" use (where you just want to leave it in auto-mode), the transmission is hesitant, clunky and confused. In other words, where you most want it to be an automatic, it is wanting.

Favorite Features

Excellent engine, huge power, perfect size/packaging, great convertible top (seals well, insulated, up/down fairly fast). Handling is good-to-excellent, improved by taking off hideous run-flats and putting on meaningful Michelin Pilot Sports. Steering has good feel and responsiveness. Adaptive headlights are superb for maximizing night vision. Sport seats are supportive and highly adjustable.

Suggested Improvements

BMW really needs to get away from their compulsion with horrid run-flats, which they apply to about all of their models. Just find room for a space-saver spare, please! Run flats basically defeat many advantages of radial tire technology, just to be stiff enough to be drivable if you lose inflation (and how often does that happen these days?). BMW has now moved to the 2-series, which fixes the ugliest styling feature of the 1-series - the cat's belly side droop. I think not coincidentally, they have also dropped the 7-spd DCT as well, and adopted an excellent 8-spd auto that likely does everything the previous transmission did, just better.

Fair Car Needs Modification to Be Good
By rudycassap

2013 BMW 1 Series 128i SULEV 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After coming out of a Scion FR-S, I felt the suspension in the 128i M Sport to still be too soft and sloppy (lots of roll and bounce). Car improved with a Dinan Stage 1 suspension (Konis and shorter springs). Then ditched the Goodyear Eagel Run on Flat tires for Bridgestone Potenza S-04 summer tires and now it is comfortable, sporty, and actually quieter in the cabin. Car has adequate power but could use a little more horsepower for freeway passing - I guess they could not step all over the 135i. Best part is the silky smooth Inline 6 cylinder engine without the turbo issues that plague many BMWs. Cabin and trunk are a little small, but enthusiasts actually love this chassis more than M3.

Favorite Features

Still offers a 6 speed manual, M Sport Package wheels look great, traditional emergency brake (no electronic stuff), Inline 6 engine is silky smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a spare tire from Bavauto and then swap out the run flat tires. Technology could be better than the same Harmon Kardon radio that was in my 2003 328i. Bluetooth and Assist should be standard.

This is my favorite car
By socalh2oskier

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Best car I've ever owned. I have had Corvettes, Jags, Benzes and a multitude of others, but by far my favorite is the 135i convertible. It is a fun, peppy car that strikes an almost perfect balance between ride/handling--and this is with the sport package. Mine has the DCT transmission--it works flawlessly and is so intuitive I rarely use the manual function. Handling is superb. The ride is a bit rough with the OE run-flats. I swapped mine out for non-run-flat Michelins right away--the ride is much improved. IMO, BMW should do away with OE run-flats. They are horrible.

Favorite Features

Great engine and transmission. Nice ride/handling balance. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Run-flats are horrible. I cannot use language that is strong enough to adequately describe how I despise the run-flats. If I had to keep run-flats on this car I would sell the car.

Incredible Little Car
By socalh2oskier

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This 135i convertible with M Sport package is one of the most---no, make that THE MOST FUN--car I have ever owned, and I have owned many, including Jaguars, Corvettes, and Porsches, to name a few. Fantastic engine pulls strong from a dead stop to 7k rpms. DCT transmission is a blast. Handling is sharp. This thing scoots around like a Miata on steroids. The only thing I dislike about this car are the run-flat tires, which I switched out after one week for some non-run-flat Michelins--this immediately improved the ride tremendously. I think this may be the best car BMW makes.

Favorite Features

Engine. DCT. Looks. Quality build.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should stop using run-flats. They are horrible.