Used 2013 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

2013 BMW 1 Series

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Material quality and standard features are awful
By Jill

2013 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sorry, I can't agree with the other 128i reviewers. I bought this 2013 128i used, having previously owned a 2004 330ci for 6 years. Granted, the 330ci had Premium package and the 128i is base. But the Sensatech seats and door material on the 128i look cheap, and the black shiny plastic in place of the wood grain or titanium trim is just plain tacky. The 330ci felt like a luxury vehicle. The 128i feels like an entry-level Hyundai or something. I actually just sold a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Premium, which had keyless entry, keyless start, universal remote, moonroof, nice trim, automatic dimming mirrors and good bolstered seats. It cost about $24k new. The base 128i has NONE of those things, and cost over $33k new. Yes, the driveability is much better than a Genesis (but noticeably worse than a 330ci). The gas mileage is worse than both of these other vehicles. Overall I'm not overly impressed with the 1 series. It feels like a step down (even with more power than the 330ci and the Genesis) and a step backwards in time. The BMW enthusiast in me wants to get rid of it as soon as possible and get a 2 series!

DCT was not made for city traffic
By bxsvx01

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased this 135i in 2013. My first new BMW. I am a big time auto enthusiast and had to jump on the 135i before the electric steering came in. The 135i has been pretty reliable but there are a few issues that are worth noting, such as dash and suspension squeaks. The car drinks gas, I avg about 13mpg on NYC roads. Also the DCT has a horrible lag on initial take off, I took it to the dealer for a software update and it helped but still not satisfactory to me. The only benefit I have seen with the DCT is the lightning quick shifts which is only great at high speeds. If you won't track the car often, I suggest the regular auto over the DCT.

Smooth engine. Simple layout. Exhaust when fully opened.

-Improve DCT for smoother and responsive take offs. -Engine is noisy.

Excellent car - mixed bag transmission
By kjgood

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second 135i convertible, and I have over 20k on this car at the time of this review. I was somewhat reluctant to order it with the then-new-to-the-135 7-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of the manual, but I was persuaded by the thought of the lightning-fast shifts and the advantage of being able to select between auto and manual modes. The reality is that in manual mode, and even auto mode for fast acceleration, the transmission is brilliant. But in stop-start, mundane "through the neighborhood" use (where you just want to leave it in auto-mode), the transmission is hesitant, clunky and confused. In other words, where you most want it to be an automatic, it is wanting.

Excellent engine, huge power, perfect size/packaging, great convertible top (seals well, insulated, up/down fairly fast). Handling is good-to-excellent, improved by taking off hideous run-flats and putting on meaningful Michelin Pilot Sports. Steering has good feel and responsiveness. Adaptive headlights are superb for maximizing night vision. Sport seats are supportive and highly adjustable.

BMW really needs to get away from their compulsion with horrid run-flats, which they apply to about all of their models. Just find room for a space-saver spare, please! Run flats basically defeat many advantages of radial tire technology, just to be stiff enough to be drivable if you lose inflation (and how often does that happen these days?). BMW has now moved to the 2-series, which fixes the ugliest styling feature of the 1-series - the cat's belly side droop. I think not coincidentally, they have also dropped the 7-spd DCT as well, and adopted an excellent 8-spd auto that likely does everything the previous transmission did, just better.

Fair Car Needs Modification to Be Good
By rudycassap

2013 BMW 1 Series 128i SULEV 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After coming out of a Scion FR-S, I felt the suspension in the 128i M Sport to still be too soft and sloppy (lots of roll and bounce). Car improved with a Dinan Stage 1 suspension (Konis and shorter springs). Then ditched the Goodyear Eagel Run on Flat tires for Bridgestone Potenza S-04 summer tires and now it is comfortable, sporty, and actually quieter in the cabin. Car has adequate power but could use a little more horsepower for freeway passing - I guess they could not step all over the 135i. Best part is the silky smooth Inline 6 cylinder engine without the turbo issues that plague many BMWs. Cabin and trunk are a little small, but enthusiasts actually love this chassis more than M3.

Still offers a 6 speed manual, M Sport Package wheels look great, traditional emergency brake (no electronic stuff), Inline 6 engine is silky smooth.

Buy a spare tire from Bavauto and then swap out the run flat tires. Technology could be better than the same Harmon Kardon radio that was in my 2003 328i. Bluetooth and Assist should be standard.

This is my favorite car
By socalh2oskier

2013 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Best car I've ever owned.
I have had Corvettes, Jags, Benzes and a multitude of others, but by far my favorite is the 135i convertible.
It is a fun, peppy car that strikes an almost perfect balance between ride/handling--and this is with the sport package.
Mine has the DCT transmission--it works flawlessly and is so intuitive I rarely use the manual function.
Handling is superb.
The ride is a bit rough with the OE run-flats.
I swapped mine out for non-run-flat Michelins right away--the ride is much improved.
IMO, BMW should do away with OE run-flats.
They are horrible.

Update after driving this car for 25,000 miles. I still love the car, but I wish I would have gotten the manual transmission. The DCT is great if you are driving fast, but for normal mundane around town stuff--which is 90 percent of my driving--the DCT sucks. It has a horrible problem where it is almost as if the car dies when you come to a stop quickly and then try to step on the gas--nothing happens for 2-5 seconds, and then all of a sudden the transmission figures out you want to go and it takes off. This is not turbo lag--the car simply will not move--you can have the gas pedal floored and it feels as if the car shut off--nothing happens for a few seconds, which is scary in some situations. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for a week trying to fix it--they got it improved slightly, but it is still not fixed. I have discovered that, if you slap the gear shift over into sport mode as you are coming to a stop, this takes care of the problem, so, as long as you can plan ahead, you are okay. This won't help in emergency situations, but for most around town driving, I can now at least avoid this problem. Other than the DCT issue, and my previously described disdain for run-flats, I LOVE THIS CAR.