Personal fun machine.
By wagonguy1 on
2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Ok, this car is pure fun, but in full disclosure I still have a luxury station wagon in the garage for guests and trips to Costco. Yes to celebrate my mid life and the fact that kid is out of the house I felt a red convertible with red interior would be a a great way to usher in this new phase in life. The car is fun, interior refined, the deep purr of the inline six is amazingly satisfying. It's everything a BMW is supposed to be. I do live in Florida and I drive it Miami-style: Top down, windows up and A/C at full blast. It get's stares, it's respectable at the stoplight and it's quick and nimble in traffic.
Favorite Features
Favorite features include the wonderful seats. These are the regular seats, but my spouse has a bad back and it's the only seat in the house that offers great lumbar support. Thinking of installing a TV in the garage and just watch with the top down. Thankfully the roof goes up faster that it goes down...sudden Florida downpours haven't been a problem. My favorite feature: just the general refinement of the engine, the smooooothe acceleration, you don't even notice that you're cruising at 80 when you've started at 0. This is my first BMW and I have always wanted one. I've owned VW, Audi and Saab. This one is like my GTI I had, only all grown up. Still small like I like it, but fun!
Suggested Improvements
Lordy, my biggest complaint is the small tank with lousy mileage. The 14 gallon tank get's you about 300 miles. I don't drive enough to care about mileage (I work at home). However on a weekend trip to Disney, I went to the gas station three times. Either make the car more efficient or give it enough range so you don't have to go to the pump all the time. I feel sorry for anyone who needs to commute in this car every day, your gas bill will be more than your payment. Finally, I'd like to say that this is not an entry level car. At $42K, it costs as much as any 328i on the BMW lot. I have heard a few comments that this is a "cheap BMW" no it's a small BMW, not a cheap one. Total fun!