Used 2012 BMW 1 Series 128i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

My first BMW 128i
By ksford

2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW 128i Coupe is a great purchase decision. It is FUN, responsive, comfortable, easy to operate, & has good driver visibilty. I bought the 128i after months of research and test driving other competitors like Audi, Mercedes, etc. I was looking for a personal "driving experience" for my comutes to work and one that allowed me to enjoy high quality workmanship that only cars of that class can consistently produce. The 128i is purely BMW! Recommend the Sports Package (sport seats are very nice), BMW IDrive, Premium & Convenience packages at a minumum (elevates the BMW driving experience). Pricey, maybe... but it's a BMW. Besides, who buys a BMW to save money?

Favorite Features

The feel behind the wheel and the response from the 128i to the drivers demands (as if the car & the driver are in-synch). I love how BMW introduces just enough engine noise into the cock-pit to increase the experience/feel. The BMW IDrive is easy to use and highly recommended. The programmable sports seats with the upgraded leather shapes to your body and helps promote the overall feel. The 128i 230 horse engine is plenty of power (and the Automatic Steptronic Transmission is very responsive/smooth). And of course, my favorite feature is three letters "BMW". Just being able to own one is a privilege...

Suggested Improvements

Not sure about improvements because the function & flow of design enables ease of use and optimizes the drivers interaction with the 128i's capabilities. Yeah, it is true that the back seat area is very small (especially in the hard top Coupe) but the 128i isn't designed for family transport e.g. two is company - three or more should look for a larger auto option. It is also true that premium fuel cost and low MPG add to the expense of owning the 128i but again, BMW's are not cars for the budget restricted buyer (don't buy it - if you can't afford it)... Exterior/interior design is a little plain but compliments the 128i for what it is (100% fun).

value
By point1

2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Finding this car with a minimum of dealer added extras is difficult and may entail European delivery. Nonetheless, I was in a market that allowed me to shop amongst dealers. I drove a number of coupes and sports cars and failed to find a car that met this one's road handling, acceleration and overall value. The engine's quiet purr and the solid feel one gets from the steering wheel needs to be experienced and balanced against the competition at this price.

A great choice!
By ronssito

2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I test drove 17 vehicles ... The only car with superior handling was the Cayman at 2x price. The heavy steering feel (a good thing), gives the car a planted, solid, one with the road feeling that is more livable than the razor, go cart Cayman. The exterior/ interior styling white over red is simply the best looking car out there. The 3 series is simply too big and bigger IS NOT better. $31K

Favorite Features

great stereo auto headlights great seats ipod interface super positive steering feel silky smooth I6 engine/ A6 transmission

Suggested Improvements

no visor mirror lights cupholder fail seatbelt chime too loud no temperature guage a/c cool down time slow cruise control stalk location wrong all minor complaints