Used 2011 BMW 1 Series 128i Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

So connected
By cvandenhaute

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the market for a RWD coupe with at least a small back seat.
My benchmark has always been a Miata and the 128i is the most fun car I could find giving me the same real world pleasure as my former 2007 Miata (but with a back seat).
I like the smoothness and the character of the 6 in line and the perfect balance of the car.
Everything works together : steering is pefect, shifter is smooth and direct with a nice mechanical feel, clutch is light and precise.
Despite its true sport car handling, the 128i is still very comfortable for my commute and longer journeys.
Even the trunk is very usable.
I cross shopped it with more powerful car but this was the most fun to drive.

50/50 weight distribution, sport car commands, Harman Kardon sound system, Ipod connectivity, well designed sport seat. Sport Package is a must, excellent 6 MT, Memory seats also keep the mirror settings. Excellent A/C

Dashboard could be more complete (oil temp, engine temp), Boston leather seats tend to get very warm in summer (I had 6 cars with leather before but never felt so warm), shifter is great but position seems a bit low and far

Perfect daily commuter
By bltwydriver

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a Volvo S60R chipped to about 340hp.
I've been driving the 128i for six months and don't miss the power.
This car is a pleasure to drive in all situations.
I needed a car that would keep me sane during rush hour traffic, but could still maneuver when given the opportunity.
I hesitated in considering the entry level coupe from BMW, but was pleasantly surprised to see many features handed down from the legendary big brothers.
BMW sedans have always been the benchmark for driving enthusiasts and the Germans finally nailed the media/technology interface with i-Drive - awesome.

Turns on a dime. Power output is perfectly matched. Retains luxury feel of BMW. I-Drive. Makes any commute enjoyable. Heated steering wheel. I-pod adapter.

Offer a diesel engine. This car is my second favorite next to our X-5 diesel. Keep bringing the German diesels to America and sooner or later we'll get it.

128i vs 135i
By goldmund52

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you’re torn between the 128i versus 135i, here is my opinion.
Over the years I’ve most enjoyed driving smaller cars with sporty suspensions and revvy engines with well-mated manual transmissions--- Volkswagen Rabbit, Acura Integra, Toyota MR2.
Then in the early 90’s I bought a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo.
I learned two things from that car.
One, a car that is overpowered for daily driving is not that much fun.
Two, turbo lag always feels unnatural.
The 128i is a fast car, more that powerful enough for fun street and mountain road driving, the gear ratios are fabulous and the throttle response is wonderful.
Unless 0-60 is your first priority the 128i is the better sports car.

Think hard before you buy
By Oklahoma BMW Owner

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 1 series a few months ago. Very unhappy with Jackie Cooper BMW in Edmond OK. Poor service after the sale. It is like they forget you exist. Also financed through BMW Financial and they have a horrible website. Being unhappy with the car I considered trading and it lost $10,000 in a few months. It is still like new and a 2011 model and still lost $10,000. CRAZY! I will never buy another BMW.

My favorite thing will be the day I can finally get rid of this car!

The back end is too short.

Great Car for the Driving Enthusiast!
By GUNDY70

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I test drove the 128i coupe about a month and a half ago and I loved it from the moment I took my place behind the wheel and could not resist the temptation that I ordered one, which arrived 3 days ago. Essentially, this vehicle is a 328i with less weight, 50/50 balance, and a new frame. From a driver's perspective the car is amazing - responsive steering, grippy brakes and handling, and a luxurious. I have the M sports package which gives it better handling and acceleration. Truly UDMachine!

Handling, Fuel Econ, Refinement, Smooth Engine, Great Brakes, Supple Leather, Roomy for Size

none