2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
Best Car I Have Owned
By tampafriends on 03/03/13 13:12 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I now have 33,000 miles on my 2011 128i Coupe with automatic. I have not had one problem with this car. The only time it has been back to the dealer is for its scheduled maintenance. It is solid as a rock, and very fast! I average almost 24mpg overall and that is after a combined city and highway average. I have owned it since Dec 2010 and have to say I will miss it when the lease is up this Dec. Someone is going to get a stellar Certified Used Car. I've looked at some of the complaints here and have to say I have had none! Not one!

BMW says do not put groceries in your trunk!!!
By rogue5139 on 07/09/12 14:04 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Whatever you do, do not put groceries in the trunk. I have found out the hard way. BMW has had issues with people putting items that may leak in the trunk and shorting out the car. My car is in the shop with such issues (or so they say). BMW customer service told me today that you should not put groceries or anything of such in your trunk. Why was I not told this when I bought the car.

Put together with tape and super glue
By woodthrush on 06/20/12 14:04 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in October 2011 from a dealership in Richmond. My assumption was the BMW brand meant that even though it is an entry level series, the car would be quality. I was wrong. It's not even 2 years old and is falling apart. So far, my driver side window broke because it randomly had debris in it, the tail light has fallen off twice, the passenger seat panel ripped off when a friend tried to move the seat back and the lights on the radio fade in the heat. I am very careful with this car, rarely have passengers, ALWAYS hand wash/wax it myself and yet it has all these problems. My next car will be a Honda before the warranty ends on this one.

Love IT
By ososdeoro on 03/16/11 11:50 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's great that the "starter" car is truly a BMW, not just a chintzed out shell of the more expensive versions. Leased a 128i and the engine and steering are exquisite. And while the Edmunds review suggests that one needs the sports seats for comfort, the regular ones with leather are much, much more comfortable than the ones on my previous car, an Audi A3 with the sports pkg. Three years ago BMW navigation had a poor reputation, but the one on this car is great - just as good as Audi's. Standard stereo is fine. Cabin noise is nice and low, with the exception of the supersonic window defroster.

So connected
By cvandenhaute on 02/02/11 12:29 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the market for a RWD coupe with at least a small back seat. My benchmark has always been a Miata and the 128i is the most fun car I could find giving me the same real world pleasure as my former 2007 Miata (but with a back seat). I like the smoothness and the character of the 6 in line and the perfect balance of the car. Everything works together : steering is pefect, shifter is smooth and direct with a nice mechanical feel, clutch is light and precise. Despite its true sport car handling, the 128i is still very comfortable for my commute and longer journeys. Even the trunk is very usable. I cross shopped it with more powerful car but this was the most fun to drive.

Perfect daily commuter
By bltwydriver on 01/26/11 15:49 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a Volvo S60R chipped to about 340hp. I've been driving the 128i for six months and don't miss the power. This car is a pleasure to drive in all situations. I needed a car that would keep me sane during rush hour traffic, but could still maneuver when given the opportunity. I hesitated in considering the entry level coupe from BMW, but was pleasantly surprised to see many features handed down from the legendary big brothers. BMW sedans have always been the benchmark for driving enthusiasts and the Germans finally nailed the media/technology interface with i-Drive - awesome.

128i vs 135i
By goldmund52 on 12/20/10 17:00 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you’re torn between the 128i versus 135i, here is my opinion. Over the years I’ve most enjoyed driving smaller cars with sporty suspensions and revvy engines with well-mated manual transmissions--- Volkswagen Rabbit, Acura Integra, Toyota MR2. Then in the early 90’s I bought a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. I learned two things from that car. One, a car that is overpowered for daily driving is not that much fun. Two, turbo lag always feels unnatural. The 128i is a fast car, more that powerful enough for fun street and mountain road driving, the gear ratios are fabulous and the throttle response is wonderful. Unless 0-60 is your first priority the 128i is the better sports car.

Think hard before you buy
By Oklahoma BMW Owner on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 1 series a few months ago. Very unhappy with Jackie Cooper BMW in Edmond OK. Poor service after the sale. It is like they forget you exist. Also financed through BMW Financial and they have a horrible website. Being unhappy with the car I considered trading and it lost $10,000 in a few months. It is still like new and a 2011 model and still lost $10,000. CRAZY! I will never buy another BMW.

Great Car for the Driving Enthusiast!
By GUNDY70 on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I test drove the 128i coupe about a month and a half ago and I loved it from the moment I took my place behind the wheel and could not resist the temptation that I ordered one, which arrived 3 days ago. Essentially, this vehicle is a 328i with less weight, 50/50 balance, and a new frame. From a driver's perspective the car is amazing - responsive steering, grippy brakes and handling, and a luxurious. I have the M sports package which gives it better handling and acceleration. Truly UDMachine!

Great so far
By syd53 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 12 years driving a Beetle, tried a Z4 on dealer lot. Loved it but could not see driving it in winter. Ordered a 128i which has same engine and manual transmission, just a few less hp, and all of the convenience features I liked on the Z4. Of course it was also a lot less money. It is just as much fun to drive, though not as pretty.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe in VA is:

$166 per month*