Used 2011 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Best Car I Have Owned
By tampafriends

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I now have 33,000 miles on my 2011 128i Coupe with automatic. I have not had one problem with this car. The only time it has been back to the dealer is for its scheduled maintenance. It is solid as a rock, and very fast! I average almost 24mpg overall and that is after a combined city and highway average. I have owned it since Dec 2010 and have to say I will miss it when the lease is up this Dec. Someone is going to get a stellar Certified Used Car. I've looked at some of the complaints here and have to say I have had none! Not one!

Favorite Features

The power to weight ratio is fantastic. 0-60 in under 6 seconds. The fun to drive quotient is extraordinary!

Suggested Improvements

The paint chips too easily. I was told BMW made a change in the paint to lighten the vehicle and to be more environmentally friendly. Get rid of run flat tires! They really do suck! Put a spare back in and put decent tires on the car. They are expensive and if you do get a flat they can be hard to find, especially if traveling off the beaten path.

Exactly what I have been looking for!
By bwschubert

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been searching for a RWD convertible with a manual transmission for some time now and while test driving all the usual suspects in the same price range (new and used) my 128i was the obvious choice. I wouldn't mind a 135 for the significantly increased grunt, but there was no such car available- either new and too expensive or used and too old and out of warranty. Nevertheless the linearity of the naturally aspirated I-6 makes running up to the 7000rpm redline a pleasure, especially with the top down. While true value is debatable (I don't know if I could ever justify the full sticker price of a new one) the build quality, ergonomics and all around driving experience is worth it to me

Favorite Features

Smooth engine, a pleasurable manual transmission, great interior quality and design, amazing seat adjustments and comfort level, great HK sound system and nuclear powered heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The all orange dashboard lighting does not scream luxury. In a couple years I would look forward to checking out a 328 that has the new turbo charged I-4 to help close the grunt gap between that and the 335.

BMW says do not put groceries in your trunk!!!
By rogue5139

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Whatever you do, do not put groceries in the trunk. I have found out the hard way. BMW has had issues with people putting items that may leak in the trunk and shorting out the car. My car is in the shop with such issues (or so they say). BMW customer service told me today that you should not put groceries or anything of such in your trunk. Why was I not told this when I bought the car.

Put together with tape and super glue
By woodthrush

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in October 2011 from a dealership in Richmond. My assumption was the BMW brand meant that even though it is an entry level series, the car would be quality. I was wrong. It's not even 2 years old and is falling apart. So far, my driver side window broke because it randomly had debris in it, the tail light has fallen off twice, the passenger seat panel ripped off when a friend tried to move the seat back and the lights on the radio fade in the heat. I am very careful with this car, rarely have passengers, ALWAYS hand wash/wax it myself and yet it has all these problems. My next car will be a Honda before the warranty ends on this one.

Favorite Features

When things aren't falling off the outside of the car, it looks beautiful. Features are limited on my model other than a sunroof and iPod hookup which I enjoy.

Suggested Improvements

Poor production standards on cosmetic items for this car should be evaluated for the next model.

First BMW
By pleng

2011 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a fun car with a convertible top and the 128 was just right. Luckily found a certified 2011 with only 14K miles and got the price break and power train warranty to 100K. A key factor was trunk space since I plan on using the car for trips in my retirement. It will hold a 25 inch roller bag flat and a 22 on its side, and even more in the back seat - great for such a small car I am an engineer and I am impressed with the build quality of this least expensive BMW.

Favorite Features

The car is a delight to drive. Ample power and a shiftable automatic (pull back to up shift - like a race car). Engine sings a pretty song with the top down. The optional rear windscreen makes top down running comfortable. In-dash multi-disc CD player.

Suggested Improvements

The run-flat tires seem to detract from the smoothness and handling, and I hope this technology will improve sine there is no room for a spare. These are very small things - this is a great car!