2010 BMW 1 Series 128i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Never Turning Back
By bimmerfan19

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've put 9k miles on this car since 12/2012, and from day 1, I became a BELIEVER. This car is the Benchmark of what any car under $100,000 should feel like. I've literally had ZERO issues with this car, which I find quite surprising since I drive it like I stole it 90% of the time. Long trips are very comfortable, short trips very manageable. The twin turbos have ZERO lag, and the handling is razor sharp. The breaking will have your eyes oozing out it's sockets. It feels like every grain on the road comes through the steering wheel. It's Definitely a Highway car, although I look forward to a drag challenge. Word of caution however...a gasoline sipper, it is NOT.

Favorite Features

Brutal torque, heart beating handling and eye catching design.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been great if it could synch to my Android blue tooth MP3's...

Have had it a month
By greasemonkey8

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Was very surprised to find that this vehicle had enough room for me, considering a 40 inch inseam. And I mean, no cramping at all. that being said, this is my 4th BMW since 1985 - Have liked them all. Have strayed over the years, but everytime I come back to BMW I know why. There's just something different about them. Perhaps that's why they are called the ultimate driving machine :)

Favorite Features

Mine came with all the packages, sans the navi. Why bother with it these days if you have a smart phone right? I can't say there is anything I don't like about. Coming out of a larger vehicle, I really like the size and the power even in the 128 at 230hp is ABUNDANT. I have the paddle shifters and the great thing about them is that you don't have to mess with the console shifter to work with them. Make your decision, press to downshift, floor and launch. My only complaint will come as I sign on the dotted line for my first speeding ticket :(

Suggested Improvements

As was previously mentioned, the standard sound system, while listed as having 10 speakers, actually only has 6. Two rear, two door and two subs in the floor under the seats. I thought this would really be a bother coming from a vehicle that speakers coming from every space and surround sound, but it's tolerable and sounds the best when utilizing the ipod side of my iPhone. They could have added in some tweeters on the doors at least

MY 2010 BMW 135i Coupe
By jmlbmw

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 4th BMW since 2001 and by far my least favorite. This is due to the fact that it took a year to get my car running properly. There are major issues with the fuel pump and turbos that require either software upgrades or complete replacement. There are 2 class action lawsuits dealing with this issue which has caused the value of my car to drop over 10 grand in just 1 year. I also had multiple paint issues that have finally been made right and my car now looks like it should have at delivery a year ago. I blame the dealership for this and for not standing behind the car in the beginning. It's too bad that not all BMW dealerships are created equal. Also, the fuel mileage is poor!

Favorite Features

Fast, Great Handling, Better Looking then a 3 Series, Solid, Great BMW Performance Options, Nice Engine Upgrades which don't void the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Better Fuel Pump for Better Fuel Mileage, Better Quality Interior Pieces,

All sorts of fun, quick
By Zimmy

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Having had a 2008 Z4 Roadster before this, I was looking for my next BMW to be more practical yet still wanted it to be fun and fast. I got that and more in the 135i Coupe. Fuel Mileage is not as important to me but fares quite well. The car handles very well (as you would expect from BMW) however the front end does have more push than I would like when driven hard. Slightly tires from the 335i would fix that I presume. The M sport package looks great and the sounds from the exhaust are almost musical. My favorite BMW to date!

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission (6 spd manual), Bluetooth, HD & sat. radio

Suggested Improvements

I would highly suggest getting the upgraded sound package. I didn't and regret it slightly. The standard is not hateful, but window-down driving with the radio on sounds a little wimpy when at highway speed.

My fourth BMW...
By jmlbmw

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was going to $25,000.00 more for a new M3 Coupe but decided on the 135i instead. It was a wise choice for several reasons. This car is as fast as my 2007 M Coupe that I turned in after a two year lease. In fact, it's faster in 2nd gear then the M. The twin turbos are smooth and there is NO turbo lag. The 135i is not only fast but it has a very smooth and quite ride. The car handles extremely well and there is a great engine sound when you get on the go pedal. The 135i is really an M car for all intents and purposes! There are so many after-market options available through BMW Performance, that you can really have the power and performance of an M.

Favorite Features

The BMW 135i has every option that you could ever want! One of my favorites is the Comfort Access... all you have to do is touch the door handle, get in, push the start button, put it in gear and go. The Premium Sound System is awesome and the interior fit and finish is top quality.

Suggested Improvements

My main complaint is with the Satellite radio! It hasn't worked properly since I leased the car. At this time there is no fix but BMW is working on it. A better paint process would reduce minor flaws.

So far, So Good
By billinaz

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW, on the recommendation of a friend. So far the car has performed, twin turbo puts you back in the seat. No interior noise (loose parts). Handles great, good build quality. I picked one with the sport package (well worth it), Ipod, and prem package. I plan on taking it for a long road trip to Vegas in the next month, will report back how it did then.

Favorite Features

The build quality, interior feels solid, not cheap at all. Free maintenance is great, drives and moves like a race car!!

Suggested Improvements

Include Sat radio, and make the standard radio a little better, wish I had ordered one with the upgrade system. Back seat, well they are good for storage, or a short trip.

Bach, Beethoven & Brahms...
By Rusty

2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

... are moaning in their graves at the standard sound system. It lacks power, the little speakers in the doors sound like transistor radios, and the player always defaults to radio, so you get a blast of static or commercial noise whenever you start the car or eject a CD. (Last year's standard system included 10 speakers; in 2010 I count six.) The weak dollar apparently has caused BMW also to eliminate last year's standard moonroof. So the price point has been maintained, but you get less car. That said, it is a sharp little machine, my first BMW.

Favorite Features

The car feels tight in your hands. It seems almost to "know" your driving intentions. And the automatic wipers and headlights are conveniently intuitive. Accelerating and braking are smooth. Visibility is good. Driver's seat, firm and comfortable. Fine little car for one or two people.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should listen to the Bose sound system in a ten-year-old Nissan Maxima then give the 128 comparable treatment. Also, the driver needs a convenient place to store a handful of CDs. Finally, BMW should include floor mats so customers don't have to play frustrating games with dealers.