2009 BMW 1 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - An Expensive 1 or Inexpensive

2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Review

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

An Expensive 1 or Inexpensive M?
By RJ on

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW, and prior to this, I had hardly ever ridden in a BMW. This car is simply amazing. When you see the sticker price, you'll quickly realize that you are not at the local Hyundai dealership, but when you hit the gas, you won't likely recall anything from Korea, Japan, or Detroit with the driving dynamics of this Bavarian masterpiece. I'm not claiming the vehicle is "perfect," but it's as close to perfect a vehicle as I've ever found. Even the notoriously picky Consumer Reports gave the 135i the highest rating in its respective class. That "trademark" BMW straight six force fed by two turbos is simply exhilarating.

Favorite Features

Highly recommend sports package. Sports package includes a beautifully crafted and thick racing M steering wheel, M shifter handle, and awesome sport seats, as well as blacked out trim around the windows. I don't have experience with the base stereo, but do recommend the upgraded audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure reasoning behind electronic turn signal (but you get used to it). The radio controls could be improved (simplified). Top of center stack is odd location for power locks (how about the door or near shifter?). It would also be nice if the dash readout advised you what gear you are in.