Used 2009 BMW 1 Series 128i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Bmw 1-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Feat of eng. & a work of art
By arnoldisnumerouno

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply, I love this car. The 128i has plenty of power and the handling is second to none. Shifting is incredibly smooth and you can stop on a dime. There's nothing I would change about this car performance-wise. The 1 series exterior look may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is beautiful. And I think BMW's interiors are the best in the business. Plus, there's a million 3 series on the road, why not have something unique? I gave slightly lower marks on the comfort only due to the small backseat. I never have anyone in the backseat so it didn't make a difference to me, but for anyone who needs to drive others should take this into consideration.

Favorite Features

The attention to details! Simple and elegant interior w/ the classic amber BMW lighting. I think the armrest is in the perfect position for shifting. Perfect size/thickness steering wheel. Great sound system. Very accurate automatic temperature control.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank could be two gallons bigger. Can't see the top of the gauges with the steering wheel in lowest position. Interior door handle too far up and is difficult to push open. All very minor issues, imo.

Great Little Car
By PW

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First BMW I owned. Was hesitant at first because of reliability issues but so far have had no problems. Gas mileage in the city is poor (avg. about 15 mpg), but gas mileage on the highway is great (avg. 31 mpg). I have the sports package with 18 inch wheels so the handling is fantastic. The car is so fun to drive and I love the small size of the car. Why are new cars so large these days? Used to own a TSX (good car too) but this car is so much more fun. Also, The RFT tires don't really bother me at all. Overall, best car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Ipod integration, manual 6 speed, handling, nice steering wheel, the sound of the engine, surprising large trunk space, great braking, turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage in the city. Sport seats are good but could use more lumbar support.

From a MINI to a BMW
By LG

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven BMWs before and it seems all the interiors all pretty much the same. I would like to have nicer buttons for the radio. Also, I am very disappointed that the mirror on the sun visors do not have lights. What a bummer for such car! Response is awesome compared to the MINI but the mileage per gallon consumption went down 25%. The handling of the car does not compare with the so much fun go- kart driving of the MINI. I guess I compromised on that. Overall I am happy with it.

Favorite Features

Favorite Feature: the sound of the car when is starting up! It's just amazing!!! Ohh, and the super, extra comfy sport seats, they are so amazing!!!

Suggested Improvements

Light on the mirrors, improved interiors, shorter doors or relocation of handles. It's kind of difficult to create the momentum necessary to close the door, I have to grab the lower compartment on the door to close it.

Sport, yet refined
By james

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Went from a Honda civic, so naturally am impressed with the handling of this well made auto. It has plenty of power, with excellent cornering and braking. Everyone in the family says it makes me look younger!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, acceleration, braking, and cornering. 8 position front seats with lumbar support keeps u comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Can't see radio with sunglasses. Don't really care for the run flat tires.

Love my 128i
By SciFiChick

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

What can you say about a car that makes your eyes tear up when you look at it? The styling is retro enough to make you skip a heartbeat, yet new enough to make you double your heartbeats. The performance is top notch (with the Sports package of course). It's fun to drive, fast, and BEAUTIFUL to look at.

Favorite Features

The styling is my fav. Gorgeous car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the bass in the stock sound system. Improve the fuel efficiency (even though you don't buy this car for efficiency's sake).