Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Excellent driving machine
By Prof

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The engine is a dream, and at its limits, you will scream. The exterior is old school but I think it's cool. It will look better with time, but does cost a pretty dime. Why not spoil yourself, who else will?

Engine.

MPG.

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Super looks!! Tight handling- typical BMW feel, favorable gas mileage subtle but nicely appointed interior Super standard items like the big moonroof, low pressure tire sensors and system check.

The Eagles run flat tires- great on dry smooth roads. Not so grand on wet/snowy or bumpy roads.HOWEVER- terrific mileage [est. 45-60,000 per set] Reposition cup rests, insulate, if possible, engine from cabin better so less heat is felt in the cabin,FIX the 'professional' sound system!

Not Quite Excellent Yet
By kjgood

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Was forced by need, availability, and good price, to "settle" for the Steptronic instead of the manual; not sure it was the best choice. Great power, but no limited slip diff makes wheels pin far too easily. Both auto trans and traction control have various "modes" but not convinced any of them are ideal. Handling limited by crappy RFT OE tires. Exterior design is good from some angles but awkward from others. Excellent top; quiet when up, and retracts neatly. Interior handsome. Rides much better than my previous Honda S2K, but doesn't handle as well (not surprising). Too many creaks and rattles for a car in this class, mostly around tops of windows when top is up. Fuel mileage is poor.

Powerful and smooth I-6 turbo engine. Great acceleration. Small(ish) without being cramped. Sport and Premium package features. Excellent convertible top. Nice "finished" look when top is retracted. Excellent seats - good driving position (S2000 is better though).

Fix the rattly windows that so many 'vert owners experience; shameful in a $40K+ MSRP car (there would be talk of crappy Brit quality if this were a Jag). Limited slip diff, please! Ditch the RFT tires, put on better OE ones, and include a spare tire. Restyle the sides to eliminate "cat's belly."

Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

Acceleration, braking, handling, good trunk space (but narrow opening,

Audio system (better speakers).

Great styling!!
By 128i

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Being about 6'3'' and weighing in at about 265, there aren't many performance cars that can comfortably seat someone who is 'big. HOWEVER, this car offered me more head room than my traded in almost new Americam made truck!My 2 adult sons osed to call my trade in lots of very nasty names and finally I decided to buy my dream car before I expire. The standard package is impressive on the 09's and the car has handled very well. I get 24 mpg on normal driving, which is not too bad.The sunroof is enormous and one almost feels like he is riding in a convertable. A blast to drive, the 128i is a terrific entry level car.

The sound eminating from the exhaust, the heated seats and intermittant wipers.

More than once, my wife and I have felt heat coming from the engine. Nice in the colder months...not so nice during the summer... The tail end gets loose in snow. I bought studded tires and it helped greatly- HOWEVER, the car handles VERY differently as a result.Radio computer fix needed