Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
135 vs a4 cabriolet
By verne rind on 03/07/10 20:31 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had a 2002 Audi TT roadster, my wife was concerned over its size, I bought a 2005 Audi A4 cabriolet 3.0 FWD sport package and CVT trans. It was a good cruiser but too polite, it always felt heavy. I just bought a 2009 BMW 135i convertible, Sport package premium package with 6 spd. I love this car. I think the criticism of the 1 series stems from the base models some can look a bit plain. In sport trim they are beautiful. A friend has a 2010 boxter S and could not walk away from me. I was looking for a BMW 335 and after several test drive I went for the 135 It answers all I wanted 300 hp plus 4 seats when i need it, and you don't see it on every corner. FABULOUS!

The Perfect Size
By Michael on 02/28/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I eagerly awaited the debut of the 1 series here in the states after having read much about the European model. After test driving the 1, it was clear that it would become my new driver. Beautiful throaty exhaust note, rock solid build quality and the legendary BMW straight six makes it a dream drive! I much prefer the size of the 1 series over that of the 3, and to me, it is the spiritual successor to the original 2002.

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J on 02/15/10 16:23 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i on 01/13/10 19:18 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Almost a great car
By emac on 12/27/09 22:19 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Feat of eng. & a work of art
By arnoldisnumerouno on 12/05/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply, I love this car. The 128i has plenty of power and the handling is second to none. Shifting is incredibly smooth and you can stop on a dime. There's nothing I would change about this car performance-wise. The 1 series exterior look may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is beautiful. And I think BMW's interiors are the best in the business. Plus, there's a million 3 series on the road, why not have something unique? I gave slightly lower marks on the comfort only due to the small backseat. I never have anyone in the backseat so it didn't make a difference to me, but for anyone who needs to drive others should take this into consideration.

Powerfull, small but big enough
By Larry on 11/01/09 12:29 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Made a switch from Audi because we wanted a small coupe. We have a TT and it is wonderful but does not have usable back seat. We got the M package of the 135i. This car has a very smooth powerful engine. Turbo lag is hardly noticeable. Took it on a 1100 mile trip and found it to be a very nice drive. Quiet, comfortable seats, small and maneuverable. It is a great car. Run flat tires have not been a problem so far with only 4000 mi. I would buy again only I would not buy jet black paint. It shows everything and scratches easily.

Great Little Car
By PW on 10/07/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First BMW I owned. Was hesitant at first because of reliability issues but so far have had no problems. Gas mileage in the city is poor (avg. about 15 mpg), but gas mileage on the highway is great (avg. 31 mpg). I have the sports package with 18 inch wheels so the handling is fantastic. The car is so fun to drive and I love the small size of the car. Why are new cars so large these days? Used to own a TSX (good car too) but this car is so much more fun. Also, The RFT tires don't really bother me at all. Overall, best car I have owned.

From a MINI to a BMW
By LG on 09/23/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven BMWs before and it seems all the interiors all pretty much the same. I would like to have nicer buttons for the radio. Also, I am very disappointed that the mirror on the sun visors do not have lights. What a bummer for such car! Response is awesome compared to the MINI but the mileage per gallon consumption went down 25%. The handling of the car does not compare with the so much fun go- kart driving of the MINI. I guess I compromised on that. Overall I am happy with it.

Good compromise in a small package
By massa on 09/10/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is small and very fun to drive. The 128i engine has plenty of power. Very comfortable seats (sport option). The rear seats have more room that you may think, and gave to the car a great practical aspect. Trunk space also is not too bad, but it is a fun car. Inside noise, with top up or down is very low. No annoying rattles. Fuel economy: just ok. Fuel tank is small. The Ipod option works well.