Used 2009 BMW 1 Series 135i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Favorite Features

Engine Handling bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

make the car 200 lbs lighter

Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

Favorite Features

Acceleration, braking, handling, good trunk space (but narrow opening,

Suggested Improvements

Audio system (better speakers).

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

Favorite Features

Performance, acceleration, braking.

Suggested Improvements

A little better interior styling.

Powerfull, small but big enough
By Larry

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Made a switch from Audi because we wanted a small coupe. We have a TT and it is wonderful but does not have usable back seat. We got the M package of the 135i. This car has a very smooth powerful engine. Turbo lag is hardly noticeable. Took it on a 1100 mile trip and found it to be a very nice drive. Quiet, comfortable seats, small and maneuverable. It is a great car. Run flat tires have not been a problem so far with only 4000 mi. I would buy again only I would not buy jet black paint. It shows everything and scratches easily.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine delivery. Fat steering wheel, comfortable seats, small and pointable, very fast.

Suggested Improvements

Run flat tires only because the choices are very low for replacement at this time and they are expensive.

Almost a great car
By emac

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, manual transmission are great.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability - I don't trust this car. Make sure the heater puts out warm air, in the center vents, not just the footwell and defrost vents.