2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
a mixed bag
By mrh1965 on 05/20/13 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

l Get in and out of
By butch on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn on 06/18/10 06:52 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Great styling!!
By 128i on 04/27/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Being about 6'3'' and weighing in at about 265, there aren't many performance cars that can comfortably seat someone who is 'big. HOWEVER, this car offered me more head room than my traded in almost new Americam made truck!My 2 adult sons osed to call my trade in lots of very nasty names and finally I decided to buy my dream car before I expire. The standard package is impressive on the 09's and the car has handled very well. I get 24 mpg on normal driving, which is not too bad.The sunroof is enormous and one almost feels like he is riding in a convertable. A blast to drive, the 128i is a terrific entry level car.

The Perfect Size
By Michael on 02/28/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I eagerly awaited the debut of the 1 series here in the states after having read much about the European model. After test driving the 1, it was clear that it would become my new driver. Beautiful throaty exhaust note, rock solid build quality and the legendary BMW straight six makes it a dream drive! I much prefer the size of the 1 series over that of the 3, and to me, it is the spiritual successor to the original 2002.

Feat of eng. & a work of art
By arnoldisnumerouno on 12/05/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply, I love this car. The 128i has plenty of power and the handling is second to none. Shifting is incredibly smooth and you can stop on a dime. There's nothing I would change about this car performance-wise. The 1 series exterior look may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is beautiful. And I think BMW's interiors are the best in the business. Plus, there's a million 3 series on the road, why not have something unique? I gave slightly lower marks on the comfort only due to the small backseat. I never have anyone in the backseat so it didn't make a difference to me, but for anyone who needs to drive others should take this into consideration.

Great Little Car
By PW on 10/07/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First BMW I owned. Was hesitant at first because of reliability issues but so far have had no problems. Gas mileage in the city is poor (avg. about 15 mpg), but gas mileage on the highway is great (avg. 31 mpg). I have the sports package with 18 inch wheels so the handling is fantastic. The car is so fun to drive and I love the small size of the car. Why are new cars so large these days? Used to own a TSX (good car too) but this car is so much more fun. Also, The RFT tires don't really bother me at all. Overall, best car I have owned.

From a MINI to a BMW
By LG on 09/23/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven BMWs before and it seems all the interiors all pretty much the same. I would like to have nicer buttons for the radio. Also, I am very disappointed that the mirror on the sun visors do not have lights. What a bummer for such car! Response is awesome compared to the MINI but the mileage per gallon consumption went down 25%. The handling of the car does not compare with the so much fun go- kart driving of the MINI. I guess I compromised on that. Overall I am happy with it.

Sport, yet refined
By james on 09/04/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Went from a Honda civic, so naturally am impressed with the handling of this well made auto. It has plenty of power, with excellent cornering and braking. Everyone in the family says it makes me look younger!

Love my 128i
By SciFiChick on 08/28/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

What can you say about a car that makes your eyes tear up when you look at it? The styling is retro enough to make you skip a heartbeat, yet new enough to make you double your heartbeats. The performance is top notch (with the Sports package of course). It's fun to drive, fast, and BEAUTIFUL to look at.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.