Used 2009 BMW 1 Series 128i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

a mixed bag
By mrh1965

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

Engine, brakes, handling, folding rear seats (I am a homeowner and do have to haul stuff home from the home center on occasion). More practical than you might think. Back seat is OK for adults for short trips.

I don't need to feel EVERY imperfection in the road surface; a little suppleness in the ride would have been very appreciated. I ditched the run-flats for "normal" Michelin's but the ride is still an issue. It needs better seats, too. More comfortable and better bolstered. I'd like to take the seats from my old Passat and put them in this car!

l Get in and out of
By butch

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

Door opening space, six speed manual

Do busy enjoying it to think about improvements

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Super looks!! Tight handling- typical BMW feel, favorable gas mileage subtle but nicely appointed interior Super standard items like the big moonroof, low pressure tire sensors and system check.

The Eagles run flat tires- great on dry smooth roads. Not so grand on wet/snowy or bumpy roads.HOWEVER- terrific mileage [est. 45-60,000 per set] Reposition cup rests, insulate, if possible, engine from cabin better so less heat is felt in the cabin,FIX the 'professional' sound system!

Great styling!!
By 128i

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Being about 6'3'' and weighing in at about 265, there aren't many performance cars that can comfortably seat someone who is 'big. HOWEVER, this car offered me more head room than my traded in almost new Americam made truck!My 2 adult sons osed to call my trade in lots of very nasty names and finally I decided to buy my dream car before I expire. The standard package is impressive on the 09's and the car has handled very well. I get 24 mpg on normal driving, which is not too bad.The sunroof is enormous and one almost feels like he is riding in a convertable. A blast to drive, the 128i is a terrific entry level car.

The sound eminating from the exhaust, the heated seats and intermittant wipers.

More than once, my wife and I have felt heat coming from the engine. Nice in the colder months...not so nice during the summer... The tail end gets loose in snow. I bought studded tires and it helped greatly- HOWEVER, the car handles VERY differently as a result.Radio computer fix needed

The Perfect Size
By Michael

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I eagerly awaited the debut of the 1 series here in the states after having read much about the European model. After test driving the 1, it was clear that it would become my new driver. Beautiful throaty exhaust note, rock solid build quality and the legendary BMW straight six makes it a dream drive! I much prefer the size of the 1 series over that of the 3, and to me, it is the spiritual successor to the original 2002.

Gorgeous coral red leather, integrated iPod connectivity, and BlueTooth. I also opted for the HD radio.

A tweak here and there (perhaps 7 speed transmission) to get a bit better gas mileage.