2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
a mixed bag
By mrh1965 on 05/20/13 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

l Get in and out of
By butch on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn on 06/18/10 06:52 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz on 05/12/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

Great styling!!
By 128i on 04/27/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Being about 6'3'' and weighing in at about 265, there aren't many performance cars that can comfortably seat someone who is 'big. HOWEVER, this car offered me more head room than my traded in almost new Americam made truck!My 2 adult sons osed to call my trade in lots of very nasty names and finally I decided to buy my dream car before I expire. The standard package is impressive on the 09's and the car has handled very well. I get 24 mpg on normal driving, which is not too bad.The sunroof is enormous and one almost feels like he is riding in a convertable. A blast to drive, the 128i is a terrific entry level car.

The Perfect Size
By Michael on 02/28/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I eagerly awaited the debut of the 1 series here in the states after having read much about the European model. After test driving the 1, it was clear that it would become my new driver. Beautiful throaty exhaust note, rock solid build quality and the legendary BMW straight six makes it a dream drive! I much prefer the size of the 1 series over that of the 3, and to me, it is the spiritual successor to the original 2002.

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J on 02/15/10 16:23 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i on 01/13/10 19:18 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Almost a great car
By emac on 12/27/09 22:19 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Feat of eng. & a work of art
By arnoldisnumerouno on 12/05/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply, I love this car. The 128i has plenty of power and the handling is second to none. Shifting is incredibly smooth and you can stop on a dime. There's nothing I would change about this car performance-wise. The 1 series exterior look may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is beautiful. And I think BMW's interiors are the best in the business. Plus, there's a million 3 series on the road, why not have something unique? I gave slightly lower marks on the comfort only due to the small backseat. I never have anyone in the backseat so it didn't make a difference to me, but for anyone who needs to drive others should take this into consideration.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.