Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Big fun in a little package
By Scott

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The greatest toy I own
By Kevin Gregor

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm only writing a review after reading so many people either complaining about the size of the back seat, how low the car is, or about an option that they chose to go with. It's a high performance coupe, expect it to be low and have small back seats. You knew this when test driving it and it was YOUR choice! It's not the cars fault you didn't pay attention.
That being said, the 2009 135i 6 speed manual is an absolute beast. Not to mention they are quite rare on the east coast so people notice a nice one. I'm a male in my late 20's and I've had this car for 4 years. This car is a rocket and handles like nothing I've ever driven. The 2009 comes with the twin turbo N54 engine which is the best part. It's practically the same engine that is in the new 2015 M3! Just putting a chip in the car increases horsepower by 80-100HP to the wheels! When I bring this car to the track, I leave M class BMW's in the dust. After a few modifications this is actually the fastest car I have ever been in.

Power aside, the trunk is quite large and the back seats fold down. I fit a brand new 55 inch TV (still in the box) into this car. I've also fit 4 brand new 18 inch rims/tires! You'd be surprised on how much this car can fit! I also have my friends in the back seats all the time with no complaints. The issue is that the driver and passenger tend to have their seats further back than needed and don't realize it!

I can honestly say that this car is the greatest thing I have ever purchased. If you are in a similar situation as me, don't have kids, and like a beautiful interior/exterior with insane power. Look no further.

One quick note:
Run flat tires come standard on this car and it makes the car drive stiffer due to the sidewalls of the tires being harder. If you replace them with regular tires (which are way cheaper in price) you'll find it drives much differently. I prefer the regular tires and I'm willing to accept the risk. Keep in mind that this car does not have a spare tire!

a mixed bag
By mrh1965

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010.
In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it.
I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising.
The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable.
Those are probably my two main complaints with the car.
Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc.
I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

5/20/2016: Edmunds wants an update, ok. I sold the car last fall, and I'm not sorry to have parted company with it. I got tired of the occasionally harsh ride and uncomfortable seats. Reliability remained an issue -- I'll spare you the details -- so I think selling it and getting into a Lexus was a good choice for me.

l Get in and out of
By butch

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

Door opening space, six speed manual

Do busy enjoying it to think about improvements

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Super looks!! Tight handling- typical BMW feel, favorable gas mileage subtle but nicely appointed interior Super standard items like the big moonroof, low pressure tire sensors and system check.

The Eagles run flat tires- great on dry smooth roads. Not so grand on wet/snowy or bumpy roads.HOWEVER- terrific mileage [est. 45-60,000 per set] Reposition cup rests, insulate, if possible, engine from cabin better so less heat is felt in the cabin,FIX the 'professional' sound system!