2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
BMW buyer beware
By projectnurse on 06/24/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We leased a 2009 135i convertible and just turned it in. This car had many problems over the 3 years and BMW did not meet our expectations in the service department. We had to take the car back twice for every issue we had and there we many. It was not ever fixed the first time even on a recall issue. Additionally, when we returned it with 12,000 miles after 3 years they charged us $600 for new tires on the rear of the car. The explanation was that because this car is a "sports model" the tires only last 12-15,000 miles. If you lease a BMW this means you will have to replace the tires at least 3 times during your 3 year lease if you drive it all the miles allotted.

No Working CD Option
By SASS on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 128i is a cute car and should be an economical option to someone that wants to drive a BMW. However, there is a problem with the CD player, a replacement isn't available right now and there is no known date when one will be available. In addition, there are flaws in the dash board (which BMW won't warranty against rattles when replaced) and 2 recalls notices.

Excellent driving machine
By Prof on 06/29/10 23:06 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The engine is a dream, and at its limits, you will scream. The exterior is old school but I think it's cool. It will look better with time, but does cost a pretty dime. Why not spoil yourself, who else will?

Not Quite Excellent Yet
By kjgood on 05/13/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Was forced by need, availability, and good price, to "settle" for the Steptronic instead of the manual; not sure it was the best choice. Great power, but no limited slip diff makes wheels pin far too easily. Both auto trans and traction control have various "modes" but not convinced any of them are ideal. Handling limited by crappy RFT OE tires. Exterior design is good from some angles but awkward from others. Excellent top; quiet when up, and retracts neatly. Interior handsome. Rides much better than my previous Honda S2K, but doesn't handle as well (not surprising). Too many creaks and rattles for a car in this class, mostly around tops of windows when top is up. Fuel mileage is poor.

My favorite car
By JamesE on 03/13/10 11:53 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW, my first was a 320i in college. My last car was a 2001 325CI. I found the 325 the antithesis of the 320, it was bloated. I was hoping that this car would be a modern 320. It's not, its still too heavy. But honestly with this engine, I could care less. I didn't think that I "needed" a 135, but a got a great deal on one and took it. I still don't need this much power but it is a blast to have. The handling blows everything I have ever driven away, a lot of my friends have M3s and honestly I think this handles better and it rides way way better. The iPod, Bluetooth, all the goodies are well designed and work perfectly. I'm waiting for a disappointment but haven't found it yet.

135 vs a4 cabriolet
By verne rind on 03/07/10 20:31 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had a 2002 Audi TT roadster, my wife was concerned over its size, I bought a 2005 Audi A4 cabriolet 3.0 FWD sport package and CVT trans. It was a good cruiser but too polite, it always felt heavy. I just bought a 2009 BMW 135i convertible, Sport package premium package with 6 spd. I love this car. I think the criticism of the 1 series stems from the base models some can look a bit plain. In sport trim they are beautiful. A friend has a 2010 boxter S and could not walk away from me. I was looking for a BMW 335 and after several test drive I went for the 135 It answers all I wanted 300 hp plus 4 seats when i need it, and you don't see it on every corner. FABULOUS!

Good compromise in a small package
By massa on 09/10/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is small and very fun to drive. The 128i engine has plenty of power. Very comfortable seats (sport option). The rear seats have more room that you may think, and gave to the car a great practical aspect. Trunk space also is not too bad, but it is a fun car. Inside noise, with top up or down is very low. No annoying rattles. Fuel economy: just ok. Fuel tank is small. The Ipod option works well.

excellent vehicleT's ruin this car
By mike4444 on 07/08/09 15:39 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Fun car to drive...glad I went with the manual transmission..corners perfect and had up to 110mph with still pedal left...convertible has very good acoustics with top up...I'd buy it again and I looked and drove all of the competitors...buy it.

A fantastic convertible!
By BostonDriver on 06/01/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first convertible, and I couldn't have been happier. Before purchasing this car, we looked into and/or test drove the Lexus IS (convertible coming soon), Audi A4, and Volkswagen Eos. Nothing was as attractive as the BMW. We test-drove both the 135i and 128i convertibles and decided on the 128i because it was cheaper, had a softer suspension, and was more than fast enough. The handling is fantastic, and the car feels very responsive, nimble, surefooted, fast, and comfortable. It looks beautiful in jet black, sporty but elegant, classy but youthful. It is absolutely worth it. It is hard to find faults with this car.

Puts Fun In Every Day
By Stan on 03/27/09 08:52 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded my 2002 911 Targa, without any sacrifice in performance or comfort, and with much greater practicality. This is a terrific car! Simple, elegant, fast, safe and distinctive. Everything works just as you want it to. And every time you step on the gas or go into a quick turn, you're reminded why you bought it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.