2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz on 05/12/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J on 02/15/10 16:23 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i on 01/13/10 19:18 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Almost a great car
By emac on 12/27/09 22:19 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Powerfull, small but big enough
By Larry on 11/01/09 12:29 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Made a switch from Audi because we wanted a small coupe. We have a TT and it is wonderful but does not have usable back seat. We got the M package of the 135i. This car has a very smooth powerful engine. Turbo lag is hardly noticeable. Took it on a 1100 mile trip and found it to be a very nice drive. Quiet, comfortable seats, small and maneuverable. It is a great car. Run flat tires have not been a problem so far with only 4000 mi. I would buy again only I would not buy jet black paint. It shows everything and scratches easily.

An Expensive 1 or Inexpensive M?
By RJ on 08/17/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW, and prior to this, I had hardly ever ridden in a BMW. This car is simply amazing. When you see the sticker price, you'll quickly realize that you are not at the local Hyundai dealership, but when you hit the gas, you won't likely recall anything from Korea, Japan, or Detroit with the driving dynamics of this Bavarian masterpiece. I'm not claiming the vehicle is "perfect," but it's as close to perfect a vehicle as I've ever found. Even the notoriously picky Consumer Reports gave the 135i the highest rating in its respective class. That "trademark" BMW straight six force fed by two turbos is simply exhilarating.

What a hoot!
By Charlie on 04/01/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Man what a hoot to drive the 135i is!!! I personally like the quirky, funky body design, it is wicked fast, sounds great, grips the road like a scalded cat on a carpet, has excellent build quality and materials, and turns heads all over town. Aside from the requisite nits every car has that the manufacturer hopes nobody notices but everybody does, I could not be happier with this car.

Thriller!
By Greg D. on 03/26/09 08:37 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

OMG! I bought my black on black 2009 BMW 135i coupe a little over a month ago and have put ~1600 miles on it to date. This is THE most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. I have owned more powerful cars, more comfortable cars and better handling (just a little!) cars but this is the first time that it has all come in the same small package. Plenty of low-end torque and horsepower, reasonable gas mileage (if I keep my foot out of it which is impossible!), comfortable on long trips and around town and absolutely gorgeous looks. I was at the racetrack recently and my car was parked next to much more expensive and exotic cars and guess which car got the most attention? The 135i!

Perfect combination
By Chris V on 12/19/08 13:49 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my eye on a 135 ever since the first time I heard they were cramming a 300HP I6 into a car that weighs as much as a Dodge Neon. Add BMW's legendary handling, massive brakes and you might just have the perfect small sports coupe. The real added bonus for me was that I get 25 MPG combined hwy/city, the interior is attractive yet functional, and the all season tires I needed for northeast weather don't detract from the appearance. If you want to take it easy and enjoy a comfortable ride, the 135 won't disappoint. But if flat out exhilarating performance is what you seek, I'd strongly recommend you purchase a 135. Oh, and befriend a state trooper unless you actually like going to court.

Effortless power
By Mario on 11/25/08 15:22 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

While motoring over 60mph in 6th gear (~2,500rpm) a swift thrust of the right pedal puts you over 100mph in the blink of an eye, the twin turbo moves without effort, when starting from zero, you'll have to switch to second way before the you see the tacho grazing the redline, as 1st gear will be over before you figure out you're getting close to 7k! I gave it a 9 on performance because there are more powerful cars, not in any way because the power is any less than excellent.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.