Used 2009 BMW 1 Series 135i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

The greatest toy I own
By Kevin Gregor

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm only writing a review after reading so many people either complaining about the size of the back seat, how low the car is, or about an option that they chose to go with. It's a high performance coupe, expect it to be low and have small back seats. You knew this when test driving it and it was YOUR choice! It's not the cars fault you didn't pay attention. That being said, the 2009 135i 6 speed manual is an absolute beast. Not to mention they are quite rare on the east coast so people notice a nice one. I'm a male in my late 20's and I've had this car for 4 years. This car is a rocket and handles like nothing I've ever driven. The 2009 comes with the twin turbo N54 engine which is the best part. It's practically the same engine that is in the new 2015 M3! Just putting a chip in the car increases horsepower by 80-100HP to the wheels! When I bring this car to the track, I leave M class BMW's in the dust. After a few modifications this is actually the fastest car I have ever been in. Power aside, the trunk is quite large and the back seats fold down. I fit a brand new 55 inch TV (still in the box) into this car. I've also fit 4 brand new 18 inch rims/tires! You'd be surprised on how much this car can fit! I also have my friends in the back seats all the time with no complaints. The issue is that the driver and passenger tend to have their seats further back than needed and don't realize it! I can honestly say that this car is the greatest thing I have ever purchased. If you are in a similar situation as me, don't have kids, and like a beautiful interior/exterior with insane power. Look no further. One quick note: Run flat tires come standard on this car and it makes the car drive stiffer due to the sidewalls of the tires being harder. If you replace them with regular tires (which are way cheaper in price) you'll find it drives much differently. I prefer the regular tires and I'm willing to accept the risk. Keep in mind that this car does not have a spare tire!

Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

Acceleration, braking, handling, good trunk space (but narrow opening,

Audio system (better speakers).

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

Performance, acceleration, braking.

A little better interior styling.

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Engine Handling bluetooth

make the car 200 lbs lighter

Almost a great car
By emac

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Acceleration, manual transmission are great.

Reliability - I don't trust this car. Make sure the heater puts out warm air, in the center vents, not just the footwell and defrost vents.