Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

a mixed bag
By mrh1965

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

Favorite Features

Engine, brakes, handling, folding rear seats (I am a homeowner and do have to haul stuff home from the home center on occasion). More practical than you might think. Back seat is OK for adults for short trips.

Suggested Improvements

I don't need to feel EVERY imperfection in the road surface; a little suppleness in the ride would have been very appreciated. I ditched the run-flats for "normal" Michelin's but the ride is still an issue. It needs better seats, too. More comfortable and better bolstered. I'd like to take the seats from my old Passat and put them in this car!

BMW buyer beware
By projectnurse

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We leased a 2009 135i convertible and just turned it in. This car had many problems over the 3 years and BMW did not meet our expectations in the service department. We had to take the car back twice for every issue we had and there we many. It was not ever fixed the first time even on a recall issue. Additionally, when we returned it with 12,000 miles after 3 years they charged us $600 for new tires on the rear of the car. The explanation was that because this car is a "sports model" the tires only last 12-15,000 miles. If you lease a BMW this means you will have to replace the tires at least 3 times during your 3 year lease if you drive it all the miles allotted.

Favorite Features

Very fast!

Suggested Improvements

Very pretty car and fast but looks are not everything and speed only works if the car runs. I suggest that BMW train their dealers in better customer service techniques. We were treated poorly at the dealership in Greenville, South Carolina each time we went there. Since they were the closest dealer to us we had to endure their poor customer service even when we turned in the car. Training may help these people better understand how to treat customers. They could use a lot of help!

l Get in and out of
By butch

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

Favorite Features

Door opening space, six speed manual

Suggested Improvements

Do busy enjoying it to think about improvements

No Working CD Option
By SASS

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 128i is a cute car and should be an economical option to someone that wants to drive a BMW. However, there is a problem with the CD player, a replacement isn't available right now and there is no known date when one will be available. In addition, there are flaws in the dash board (which BMW won't warranty against rattles when replaced) and 2 recalls notices.

Favorite Features

Ease of use of retractable top.

Suggested Improvements

Have a replacement CD player available so vehicle operates as sold and an agreement to stand behind warranty repairs including dash boards.

Excellent driving machine
By Prof

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The engine is a dream, and at its limits, you will scream. The exterior is old school but I think it's cool. It will look better with time, but does cost a pretty dime. Why not spoil yourself, who else will?

Favorite Features

Engine.

Suggested Improvements

MPG.