2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
a mixed bag
By mrh1965 on 05/20/13 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

BMW buyer beware
By projectnurse on 06/24/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We leased a 2009 135i convertible and just turned it in. This car had many problems over the 3 years and BMW did not meet our expectations in the service department. We had to take the car back twice for every issue we had and there we many. It was not ever fixed the first time even on a recall issue. Additionally, when we returned it with 12,000 miles after 3 years they charged us $600 for new tires on the rear of the car. The explanation was that because this car is a "sports model" the tires only last 12-15,000 miles. If you lease a BMW this means you will have to replace the tires at least 3 times during your 3 year lease if you drive it all the miles allotted.

l Get in and out of
By butch on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

No Working CD Option
By SASS on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 128i is a cute car and should be an economical option to someone that wants to drive a BMW. However, there is a problem with the CD player, a replacement isn't available right now and there is no known date when one will be available. In addition, there are flaws in the dash board (which BMW won't warranty against rattles when replaced) and 2 recalls notices.

Excellent driving machine
By Prof on 06/29/10 23:06 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The engine is a dream, and at its limits, you will scream. The exterior is old school but I think it's cool. It will look better with time, but does cost a pretty dime. Why not spoil yourself, who else will?

2009 128i review after 1 year
By Howard Lynn on 06/18/10 06:52 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After owning my frist BMW for a year, it continues to be a blast to drive. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs. finding a true sports car was a daunting task. Pros include good gas mileage[ave.25 per]excellent handling and great looks. Areas to improve : the sound system is just ok..not great. As well, my sound system refuses to play intermittently when it is hot outside. Three 'patches' later and the problem remains. They will NOT replace the radio as they believe it must be connected to a computer glitch. Another area to look at is the 2nd cup holder placement, which is mostly hidden by the arm rest. Basically, it will hold a Dixie cup. Lastly, an inordinate amount of engine heat is felt in the cabin.

Not Quite Excellent Yet
By kjgood on 05/13/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Was forced by need, availability, and good price, to "settle" for the Steptronic instead of the manual; not sure it was the best choice. Great power, but no limited slip diff makes wheels pin far too easily. Both auto trans and traction control have various "modes" but not convinced any of them are ideal. Handling limited by crappy RFT OE tires. Exterior design is good from some angles but awkward from others. Excellent top; quiet when up, and retracts neatly. Interior handsome. Rides much better than my previous Honda S2K, but doesn't handle as well (not surprising). Too many creaks and rattles for a car in this class, mostly around tops of windows when top is up. Fuel mileage is poor.

Outstanding car
By Larry Fitz on 05/12/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a left-over 2009 in February 2010 from Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth for $7K under MSRP with shipping to California included. Main options: 6-spd auto, sport pkg, leather, heated seats. We test drove: 128i, 135i, 370Z, and G37 Coupe locally before deciding on the 135i. By far the 135i has a great combo of sports car feel, powerful acceleration, handling, fit & finish, appearance, comfort, practicality, interior space + window visibility, and price. We have >2,000 miles and have had no reliability issues, to date. Top speed 120 mph, to date. Auto trans is very good. The audio/speaker system is poor. Mileage is about the 18/28 as advertised. We like our "little ripper."

Great styling!!
By 128i on 04/27/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Being about 6'3'' and weighing in at about 265, there aren't many performance cars that can comfortably seat someone who is 'big. HOWEVER, this car offered me more head room than my traded in almost new Americam made truck!My 2 adult sons osed to call my trade in lots of very nasty names and finally I decided to buy my dream car before I expire. The standard package is impressive on the 09's and the car has handled very well. I get 24 mpg on normal driving, which is not too bad.The sunroof is enormous and one almost feels like he is riding in a convertable. A blast to drive, the 128i is a terrific entry level car.

My favorite car
By JamesE on 03/13/10 11:53 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third BMW, my first was a 320i in college. My last car was a 2001 325CI. I found the 325 the antithesis of the 320, it was bloated. I was hoping that this car would be a modern 320. It's not, its still too heavy. But honestly with this engine, I could care less. I didn't think that I "needed" a 135, but a got a great deal on one and took it. I still don't need this much power but it is a blast to have. The handling blows everything I have ever driven away, a lot of my friends have M3s and honestly I think this handles better and it rides way way better. The iPod, Bluetooth, all the goodies are well designed and work perfectly. I'm waiting for a disappointment but haven't found it yet.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.