Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

The greatest toy I own
By Kevin Gregor

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm only writing a review after reading so many people either complaining about the size of the back seat, how low the car is, or about an option that they chose to go with. It's a high performance coupe, expect it to be low and have small back seats. You knew this when test driving it and it was YOUR choice! It's not the cars fault you didn't pay attention. That being said, the 2009 135i 6 speed manual is an absolute beast. Not to mention they are quite rare on the east coast so people notice a nice one. I'm a male in my late 20's and I've had this car for 4 years. This car is a rocket and handles like nothing I've ever driven. The 2009 comes with the twin turbo N54 engine which is the best part. It's practically the same engine that is in the new 2015 M3! Just putting a chip in the car increases horsepower by 80-100HP to the wheels! When I bring this car to the track, I leave M class BMW's in the dust. After a few modifications this is actually the fastest car I have ever been in. Power aside, the trunk is quite large and the back seats fold down. I fit a brand new 55 inch TV (still in the box) into this car. I've also fit 4 brand new 18 inch rims/tires! You'd be surprised on how much this car can fit! I also have my friends in the back seats all the time with no complaints. The issue is that the driver and passenger tend to have their seats further back than needed and don't realize it! I can honestly say that this car is the greatest thing I have ever purchased. If you are in a similar situation as me, don't have kids, and like a beautiful interior/exterior with insane power. Look no further. One quick note: Run flat tires come standard on this car and it makes the car drive stiffer due to the sidewalls of the tires being harder. If you replace them with regular tires (which are way cheaper in price) you'll find it drives much differently. I prefer the regular tires and I'm willing to accept the risk. Keep in mind that this car does not have a spare tire!

a mixed bag
By mrh1965

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my '09 128i since October of 2010. In that 2.5 years I've only put about 17-18,000 miles on it. I make a lot of short trips so my average mpg of about 18 is a little disappointing but not real surprising. The car is a little hard-riding and the stock seats are not particularly supportive or comfortable. Those are probably my two main complaints with the car. Reliability is a concern, too: replaced the lifters, the a/c evaporator, the radio, the third stop light, etc. Thankfully this has all been cheerfully replaced under warranty. This is all balanced by the gem of an engine, good visibility, good looks, solid handling, etc. I do love the little, fat, steering wheel!

Engine, brakes, handling, folding rear seats (I am a homeowner and do have to haul stuff home from the home center on occasion). More practical than you might think. Back seat is OK for adults for short trips.

I don't need to feel EVERY imperfection in the road surface; a little suppleness in the ride would have been very appreciated. I ditched the run-flats for "normal" Michelin's but the ride is still an issue. It needs better seats, too. More comfortable and better bolstered. I'd like to take the seats from my old Passat and put them in this car!

BMW buyer beware
By projectnurse

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We leased a 2009 135i convertible and just turned it in. This car had many problems over the 3 years and BMW did not meet our expectations in the service department. We had to take the car back twice for every issue we had and there we many. It was not ever fixed the first time even on a recall issue. Additionally, when we returned it with 12,000 miles after 3 years they charged us $600 for new tires on the rear of the car. The explanation was that because this car is a "sports model" the tires only last 12-15,000 miles. If you lease a BMW this means you will have to replace the tires at least 3 times during your 3 year lease if you drive it all the miles allotted.

Very fast!

Very pretty car and fast but looks are not everything and speed only works if the car runs. I suggest that BMW train their dealers in better customer service techniques. We were treated poorly at the dealership in Greenville, South Carolina each time we went there. Since they were the closest dealer to us we had to endure their poor customer service even when we turned in the car. Training may help these people better understand how to treat customers. They could use a lot of help!

l Get in and out of
By butch

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got 6 speed 128 and love it. But by far the main advantage for me is (being 6'2" 220) the ease of getting in and out was final selling point. by not lowering the roof line, which happens with other coupes, with the wide door opening make entrance easy. finally found a something that makes my 3 mile drive on flat straight rode fun.

Door opening space, six speed manual

Do busy enjoying it to think about improvements

No Working CD Option
By SASS

2009 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 128i is a cute car and should be an economical option to someone that wants to drive a BMW. However, there is a problem with the CD player, a replacement isn't available right now and there is no known date when one will be available. In addition, there are flaws in the dash board (which BMW won't warranty against rattles when replaced) and 2 recalls notices.

Ease of use of retractable top.

Have a replacement CD player available so vehicle operates as sold and an agreement to stand behind warranty repairs including dash boards.