2008 BMW 1 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - A classic BMW

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Review

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

A classic BMW
By Year1DC on

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Took delivery of my jet black 135i coupe the day they went on sale in the US. Truly a great car, both in terms of performance and styling. I chose the automatic with the paddle shifters since I use the car for urban commuting. It's hands-down the best automatic I've driven - just put it in Sport mode and the car moves like a rocket. It costs the same as a 328 coupe while delivering performance that is several notches above. While there's no other car that exactly compares, of all the other cars I drove the Cayman S feels the most similar - and at $20k more, it makes my $44k loaded 135 seem like an even greater bargain.

Favorite Features

An exhaust note that should make every 3 Series driver jealous. High-quality materials and standard features (xenons with corona ring DRLs, for example) that are on par with other bimmers. Blistering twin-turbo performance that makes an M3 or Cayman S hard to justify.

Suggested Improvements

The run-flat tires can be very jarring when they encounter potholes or other rough pavement. Gas mileage is great on the highway (I've gotten 30mpg) but in the city relatively poor mileage combines with a small (14 gallon) fuel tank to necessitate frequent stops at the gas station.