2008 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
Great Car
By tmitch18 on 01/19/09 19:44 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Been looking forward to getting my 135 and it's finally here. What a great car; amazing engine of course and with better brakes than the new M3. Drove my brothers 09 M3 and this car felt almost as quick. I say felt because now I added the computer upgrade from Vishnu that brings my 135 to 400hp!! This car is now a monster! Of course the materials used in this car are not quite as nice but, for the money you can't go wrong.

Fun to drive.
By Danny on 01/02/09 20:28 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 128i coupe is the only one left in this country with red leather & black ext. It is equipped with Premium, Sport, and Cold packages. It is very stable, you can't feel driving over 70 mph. Handling and corning are smooth. Overall of this vehicle is fun to drive with, but too expensive to own it. MBenz C300 sport is worth of buying, they're nearly the same price.

Cutting Corners
By Kevin on 12/27/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car looks great from a distance but open the trunk and wham, primer everywhere, that paint should be like on the outside! Guess that's why the rust protection is what 4 years! Then they put those cheesy plastic plugs through the carpet on the trunk lid to affix it to the metal and put holes in the metal to do it - cheap. I open the hood and there is a long line of open unfinished jagged steel down the inside of each side of the hood. Talk about cheap! Everywhere I look I see corners like that cut.

Happy Hatchback Owner
By MunichLife on 12/24/08 03:03 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I actually live in Germany and have the hatchback 118d version of the 1 series which I don't think is available in the US yet. It has been a superb choice, extremely fuel efficient in a country where gas has been even more expensive, an absolute blast to scoot around town in but with an interior comfortable enough for a ong trip. The business stereo package is incredible also. I am leasing now and will likely buy when I can.

Of driving
By 162WST on 11/30/08 21:45 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

50/50 distribution, rock solid chassis, sweet six. I love the looks of this car. One of the few 2 door rear drive coupes. Good package for the money. Some understeer at lower speed. Great to tailwhip in the rain! Transmission could be smoother. Sports pack is nice.

A great car
By aletodo on 11/30/08 18:58 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you love driving this is the car you need to get. Fast, no turbo lag, unbelievable road feel when cornering, great brakes. The controls are intuitive, bluetooth works fine. Test drove an automatic however bought a manual (even without trying it) which I think is far superior. If you live in a cold climate and you are getting the Sports package have in mind that you'll need winter tire/wheel combo - around $2500, this is if you go for the only BMW approved winter tire option.

Year One of the 1
By pstevenson32 on 11/21/08 03:25 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 128. It is great fun to drive. It has more than enough power for a casual driver such as me. With its 6-speed transmission, it generally gets around 24-26 mpg in the city. I have always liked the looks of BMW. Now I get the look at a fairly decent price. The 128 is a luxury car without many frills. The interior has been pared of luxury to make space for roominess. Well for the people in front, anyway. It's still pretty much a 2-seater. Oddly, for a BMW, the interior is without many standards items I have grown used to over the years. Example: The 128 is curiously without a functional cupholder. The only working cupholder is directly behind the shifter. I still love it.

Autobahn rocket
By Bogdan on 11/12/08 07:32 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the BMW the way it suppose to be! I have been in Germany since 2006 and I drove tons of different vehicles on the autobahn, but this baby is a rocket!!! Took it to 220-230 km/h on the autobahn and it was solid planted on the road. I have the Sport Package with the Z-rated tires and that helps a lot. Love the sound of the engine, great rev crescendo, no turbo lag, corners amazing on European twisted roads! Overall, a better "driver car" oriented vehicle compared to the 3 series which seems heavy after driving the 1 series.

Superb coupe in the best BMW tradition
By lfbmdpc on 10/22/08 15:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

What a lovely and potent little coupe. A true driver's car, taut, precise, nimble and all those other accolades one can conjure for a superlative German performance car. The car corners like it was on rails with no discernible body roll. Absolutely NO turbo lag anywhere on the power curve which is nothing short of a miracle. I have found nothing to dislike about this car whatsoever after 1700 miles. Of course the mileage is mediocre at best (16.5 city, 22-25 highway) but I knew that going in. Fit and finish are superb and the cockpit is both comfy & functional as a true Germanic driving machine should be. Instruments are well placed and easy to use. No iDrive = no complaints. A superb car.

Fun, fun, fun 2nd car to drive
By LB on 09/26/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for over a month now and I am having so much fun with it. I have a big SUV to haul my 4 kids around so when I climb into my 135 convertible, it's a pleasure to drive. Recently, I had something in one of my tires and the lights came on to alert me. I took it in to BMW service dept. and sure enough I had a nail in the tire. Not cheap tires to replace though! I have the sport package and it has run-flat tires on it. Where ever I go, I get people coming up and asking me about this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 1 Series in VA is:

$129 per month*