2008 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
BMW128i - After 15 months
By JFi on 07/17/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Even after 15 months, I still absolutely love this car. It's very unique as you don't see many around, so that's a nice touch. Wasn't even in the market when I bought the car, but had to have it once I drove it. The handling of this car is very smooth and very precise, glides through corners and turns with ease and precision. Lots of power for a car this size. Others are surprised by how fast and quick this little car can be. I don't think of it as a true sports car (although the backseat is basically unusable) because it's got a great ride for a car that is so low to the ground (no sport package) and lots of nice luxury touches as well. Nothing else like it on the road.

Amazing Performance
By rp401k on 07/11/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Relentless acceleration, great engine sound, and fantastic handling. Regular mode for automatic is like an economy mode in normal driving. Sport mode feels like a manual in that it holds a gear and quickly downshifts. Do not really use paddle shifters very much.There is plenty of room in front and the rear is acceptable if average size. Rear is difficult to access. Top mounted seat position adjusters are very handy for this. Careful driving results in excellent gas mileage. Ride is acceptable, and would be much better without run flats. Great visibility and very nice interior. At first sport seats seemed confining, but now they feel very comfortable. I enjoy each chance I have to drive it.

Blast Your Socks Off
By LovenMyBMW on 07/03/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought mine as a leftover 08. Got a great deal. Idrive, Nav, Cold Weather Pack, Sport Susp, Convert, Sport Seats, Active Steer, and whatever else they can add. Owned 3 weeks, rear quarter window switch went out. Replaced w/o a problem. Dealership is excellent! Gas mileage is a little poor. But I can't keep my foot out of it. This is a great little car for fun. Works well as an everyday driver. This car is amazing. Speed, handling are crazy. Do yourself a favor. Drive one and you will be SOLD. And resale is great.

128i Convertible
By Mike N. on 05/23/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from a Z4 to the 128i convertible and from manual to automatic transmission so there was an adjustment in expectations. Overall, I have been very happy with the 128. The build quality is outstanding. The handling is exceptional and the motor has plenty of punch, especially in manual shift mode. I love the way the car learns your driving style. The only negative is the standard sound system (not the premium pkg). Speaker placement makes it virtually inaudible with the top down at freeway speeds. The Z4 was better probably because the speakers were directly behind the seat.

My one year review of my 135i Vert
By Katera on 05/22/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Awesome...just awesome. My wife and I bought our Baby B a year ago for our 20th anniversary. We bought it specifically as a weekend car, hence the low miles. Our car is loaded with every option possible except for heated seats which we don't need in Houston. The car is stupidly fast, handles incredibly well and is built SOLID. I never really noticed a difference in build quality before with my American or Japanese cars...until I bought my first BMW. Tight is the only word that comes to mind. Since the 1 is still somewhat rare I get head turns everywhere I drive her. It really is an amazing car. p.s. We got a stick :p

Great Small Car for Tall People!!
By twolfe2 on 05/14/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car after being overseas for 2 years. I wanted a car that was fast and fun, but I didn't want the 'boy racer' look that the Evo conveys. After two days of shopping looking at both American and foreign cars, I choose the 135, and I was not disappointed. It is small so you have all the maneuverability that you want, yet big enough that I was able to move from Jersey to DC with it. I have gotten many compliments from people on the car, as they are still relatively new. I got the Sedona Red Metallica color, and it looks awesome. Also I wanted a true sports car so I got a manual and the clutch is extremely smooth.

Reasonably Practical Fun
By Richard Schollen on 03/05/09 19:36 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took delivery of the car just prior to the summer and got to enjoy the full on summer experience but wanted to live with it through a winter before writing a review. The verdict: invest in good set of snow tires and the car is almost as much fun in the winter as in the summer. The DSC system is totally effective at keeping things under control on snow packed roads. Switch it off and it's donut time. All year round the power is enticing - smooth and unrelenting -if you keep your foot in it you will be in road-side vehicle seizure territory in a blink. Yes, the cabin is a bit tight and you wish for a few more cubbies and a bigger glovebox but the overall experience is worth it. Practical fun.

What Fun?!
By HWDX347 on 02/24/09 13:09 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my Audi A4 3.2 to my son and drove to Roadshow BMW, Memphis, TN to look at a Mini Cooper S. Drove out with a BMW 135i! They were great to deal with. I test drove one in Little Rock last summer and didn't realize how fast it is. I now understand what BMW mean by Ultimate Driving Machine! The A4 is a great car but the 135i is even better. The car is much quicker, the handling is better, road feel is better and it's quieter.

1st 1,000 miles
By 1st convertible bot on 01/24/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around solid, stays on road. Engine has a "low throaty" sound that sets off other car alarms - too cool! Small size is very convenient, fun and adds to the great acceleration. Quiet interior with top up, car suspension handles train track crossings and bumps with ease. In rain, excellent perf both from a handling, sound & water management. I have to admit, it is expensive and very unpractical, BUT it is a kick in the pants to drive and makes my commute fun! To hell with the economy and my crappy 401K perf - let's go for a drive!

BMW 128i - 6 months ownership
By mitiko on 01/24/09 10:39 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

6 months and zero issues at all (never had this experience with prev. german cars purchased). Everything works well, surprised at how well it drives in snow (took it to Killington VT). If you drive carefully, easy to get 30/31 mpg on the highway (auto trans), but the moment you put some gusto in your driving and you hit 22 mpg very fast.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.