Used 2008 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

135i not a 3 series
By LovenMyBMW

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Ok lets start out by saying that we all have a opion. This is a 1 series not a 3. So with that said. Understand its smaller. Yes the interior is almost the same. Back and front seats. And head room. Just the body. With the 1 having less weight than the 3. The little beemer is amazing. Is faster than a Cayman, Niss 370, Mustang, and Camaro. Now its not a drag car. Its a sports car with style. Some parts seem cheap but what car under 60k don't. This little car with a back seat that can be used for kids and luggage, small bags and other items is perfect for a person not wanting a big car. If you want big buy a 7 series or a SUV. All said if you are thinking about it. DO IT

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By noushin

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to have a 325 until 3 years ago when I sold it due to high maintenance cost and leased a Mercedes C230. It was such a "trouble-free" car, but I missed my BMW since the day I lost it. I had my eye on the 1 series and it was worth all the wait. I have a 128 coupe with M1, Sport and Premium package. The car practically flies, it handles marvelously and I even like the feel of the "run-flat" tires. Can't wait to finish work and come to my car....

Steering wheel, lumbar support, interior design, handling.

The sound system is very mediocre to the best. BMW can learn a few things from Mercedes Benz in that department. What a shame. Radio knob buttons not so intuitive. No reason to have the second cup holder since it's useless.

Would be perfect if not for run flats
By Steven

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven the car 16,800 miles. Great power and handling, very intuitive interior controls that give you what you need and nothing more. Back seat is only for kids or short trips, but the seats fold down for lots of extra trunk room. Initial problem with fuel pump (common but completely resolved). Biggest complaint: Rear Run flats only good for 10,000 miles; they cost $380 each; and there are no good alternatives. Front tires may last 20,000+. Yes, it's the sports model with 18" tires and I drive a mountain freeway fairly regularly, but my last BMW got 40,000+ miles per set of tires. The car has not been driven hard. I love the car, but next time I would at least test drive the Cayman.

Handling and Power Comfort Access Comfortable seats Intuitive Non-I-Drive Controls Fold down trunk Favorite Quote about the car: "All that I want and not more than I need"

Develop run flats with longer treadwear or offer models without runflats and room for a spare.

Great little German "Pony Car"
By Shawnski

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had to have this when it first came out. And have not disappointed in over 19 months of ownership. Sensible, sporty, fast, and great fuel economy. Not a sports car, but has a great ride. Small size, but surprisingly practical. Lost of easy torque, and terrific average fuel economy - 25 MPG. It is the perfect marriage of German engineering, and American style muscle car attributes (2 doors, a trunk and fast), all in a size that makes other cars seem fat. Only reason I did not give a 10 for performance was my decision to go with Steptronic 6A v. 6M. However, it is a superior slush box, that shifts very fast and is always in the right gear. IMO no one refines drivetrains better than BMW.

Harmonious TT I-6 and 6A. Excellent sport seats with fast seat warmers. All the major controls - BMW sweats the details. My car was just under $40k, and while some may argue that is a lot for a car without leather seats Spend time with a BMW, and they reveal a depth of design absent in others.

Scratch the run-flats. That's it.

1.5 Year Update
By Paul

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been leasing this car for about 1.5 years and I am severely disappointed. Since I began leasing the vehicle I had the fuel pump replaced, the interior trim is starting to chip off, I've had the rear brakes replaced and I am almost on my third set of tires. Free maintenance yeah right, the treadwear on the runflats is far below average and if you drive aggressively expect to pay more than $1200 a year in maintenance just on the tires. I have already begun to experience more problems with the car stalling and failing to start. The ipod hook up frequently has problems and my passenger seat belt warning goes off with a bottled water in the passenger seat.

Engine. If you want a fast unreliable, uncomfortable track car then this is the car for you. It is not a daily driver.

Needs serious improvements in reliability and much better tires and computer system.

• SUV