2008 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
135i is Fun to Driive but needs rear tires annually
By eric146 on 01/20/13 18:39 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a true joy to drive but, the need for Z rated tires and the cost makes this car impractical to be your only vehicle. This vehicle has needed new front tires every two years (25000 miles) and needed rear tires about every year (12000 miles). I finally had enough of the tires wearing out and I choose another vehicle. If you want a fun car, this is it, but beware you will be spending between $375 for Hankooks or $1000 for Run Flats every year. Then do not forget about the Premium Unleaded fuel requirement.

Great drive, good looks, high maintenance
By darthbimmer on 08/25/12 08:02 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

When it was time to sell my beloved '98 M3 convertible I looked at the 2012 3s. Too big and bloated and cluttered with expensive, distracting technology. The 1 series is the spiritual successor to the older 3. Slightly smaller back seat and trunk, but closer in size and with a clean, driving-focused dashboard. We picked one up used with low miles and original warranty still remaining-- a good thing because we have had to use it a lot! We test drove a 128 but felt it was underpowered. The 135 was obviously more expensive but we fell in love the first time we pressed the pedal to the carpet. This car is stupid fast. In a dark color and especially with the top down it looks great.

LOVE my 135I...but
By di4uk on 04/19/11 10:27 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 135I convertible since 6/2008. It drives great and I love the car but I've had to take it back to the dealership SIX times because the convertible top continues to leak. Today makes the second time I've filed the Lemon Law on the car. And, to make matters worse, the dealership has a totally rude attitude about trying to fix the car.

I love the 135i
By Jorge on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving the car for more than 22,000 miles now and I think I can have some comments: 1. I had the usual problems: The HPFP, the bluetooth firmware upgrade, all the tails lights failing and the safety recall for the seat belts. 2. The run flats awful, replaced them with Michellin A/S now and rides much better 3. Gas mileages is not great. The car has been problem free for the last 5,000 miles and I personally think there is NO perfect car, I was lucky that BMW Charlottesville has been ver professional and helped me all the time when I faced problems. However, if you love cars, this is the one! Test drive one and see for yourself.

Screamin'
By rEddie2 on 08/27/10 06:18 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife always wanted a BMW Convertible. We assumed the lease on this one from the original owner. We absolutely love the performance of this car, but have been a little disappointed with the quality. The tail-light assemblies have been replaced 3 times, the third brake light lens just shattered while driving down the road. Those were replaced under warranty, but it is disappointing considering.

What a Car!
By Richard on 08/19/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took this car over on Swap-A-Lease with 10 months left and lots of miles. I get to drive a $45,000 car (which is way out of my league) less than $7000 with maintenance included. My biggest complaint were the front run-flats which succumbed to a double blow out on a New Jersey pothole. Replaced with Sumitomos at half the cost. Car rides smoother and handles just as well. Car is so heavily optioned I have not explored them all. There is no dip stick. When oil light comes on you press some buttons and its sensor told me it needed one quart. BMW told me to come in and they would add it gratis! Service is very addicting.

Great CPO bargin
By SagamoreJack on 08/17/10 20:18 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 128i stripper with a manual. It has ample room for 2 people or 4 on a quick lunch run. Fold down back seat and reasonable trunk opening allows hauling good sized cargo. It has expected BMW handling, good acceleration and also is a smooth highway cruiser, except for run flat tire noise. The acceleration is OK, not thrilling. It makes a satisfying growl at WOT. Wide torque curve and slick transmission makes a great combination for moving thru traffic and for sporty curve work. Base interior has very cheap looking and feeling plastic. More Aveo than BMW. The large adjustment knob for manual seats is exactly where your foot goes when cruise control is on. Track day soon

Fun, but ...
By jim bruemmer on 08/11/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought it without ever driving one based upon early reviews which described it as a car that strongly appeals to those of us 'seasoned' enough to appreciate the joys (and some sorrows) of early sports cars. I've owned MGTCs, 356 Speedsters, early SLs, and 911s. The 135i ragtop is a great modern compromise for a geezer who still loves the open road. It is pure joy to drive it, especially on a recent top-down tour through the Colorado Rockies. Power, responsiveness and handling do not disappoint!

Terrible service, plagued with problems
By 1porscheman on 08/10/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start. Oh, I know. BMW does not care about their customers! I have owned to others in the past, m3 and a 2003 x5. My past experience lead me to purchase (lease) my 1 series. Love the performance, its a fun little car. But. My 1 has just under 14k on on it and its been in for everything under the sun. The fuel pump, the window reg. Motor, radio still doesn't work right, you name it, and the recalls. I could not drive my car at night for a month while I waited for recall replacement taillight, and let me add they provided a car for only a week. Terrible service. I have never (even at gm dealer) had service that was so rude, unprofessional, and unaccommodating.

Cheap materials
By David Rodriguez on 04/17/10 10:10 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had my car for almost 2 years now and I'm on my fifth third brake light, I had the driver's window motor replaced twice passenger side airbag sensor once and now my fog lights lenses are cracked and BMW says that it is because of impact and not covered by warranty so I have to deal with them using cheap plastic in their cars which I don't think is fair

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.