2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
I love the 135i
By Jorge on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving the car for more than 22,000 miles now and I think I can have some comments: 1. I had the usual problems: The HPFP, the bluetooth firmware upgrade, all the tails lights failing and the safety recall for the seat belts. 2. The run flats awful, replaced them with Michellin A/S now and rides much better 3. Gas mileages is not great. The car has been problem free for the last 5,000 miles and I personally think there is NO perfect car, I was lucky that BMW Charlottesville has been ver professional and helped me all the time when I faced problems. However, if you love cars, this is the one! Test drive one and see for yourself.

Terrible service, plagued with problems
By 1porscheman on 08/10/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start. Oh, I know. BMW does not care about their customers! I have owned to others in the past, m3 and a 2003 x5. My past experience lead me to purchase (lease) my 1 series. Love the performance, its a fun little car. But. My 1 has just under 14k on on it and its been in for everything under the sun. The fuel pump, the window reg. Motor, radio still doesn't work right, you name it, and the recalls. I could not drive my car at night for a month while I waited for recall replacement taillight, and let me add they provided a car for only a week. Terrible service. I have never (even at gm dealer) had service that was so rude, unprofessional, and unaccommodating.

Would be perfect if not for run flats
By Steven on 12/08/09 17:08 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven the car 16,800 miles. Great power and handling, very intuitive interior controls that give you what you need and nothing more. Back seat is only for kids or short trips, but the seats fold down for lots of extra trunk room. Initial problem with fuel pump (common but completely resolved). Biggest complaint: Rear Run flats only good for 10,000 miles; they cost $380 each; and there are no good alternatives. Front tires may last 20,000+. Yes, it's the sports model with 18" tires and I drive a mountain freeway fairly regularly, but my last BMW got 40,000+ miles per set of tires. The car has not been driven hard. I love the car, but next time I would at least test drive the Cayman.

1.5 Year Update
By Paul on 11/22/09 12:04 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been leasing this car for about 1.5 years and I am severely disappointed. Since I began leasing the vehicle I had the fuel pump replaced, the interior trim is starting to chip off, I've had the rear brakes replaced and I am almost on my third set of tires. Free maintenance yeah right, the treadwear on the runflats is far below average and if you drive aggressively expect to pay more than $1200 a year in maintenance just on the tires. I have already begun to experience more problems with the car stalling and failing to start. The ipod hook up frequently has problems and my passenger seat belt warning goes off with a bottled water in the passenger seat.

Amazing Performance
By rp401k on 07/11/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Relentless acceleration, great engine sound, and fantastic handling. Regular mode for automatic is like an economy mode in normal driving. Sport mode feels like a manual in that it holds a gear and quickly downshifts. Do not really use paddle shifters very much.There is plenty of room in front and the rear is acceptable if average size. Rear is difficult to access. Top mounted seat position adjusters are very handy for this. Careful driving results in excellent gas mileage. Ride is acceptable, and would be much better without run flats. Great visibility and very nice interior. At first sport seats seemed confining, but now they feel very comfortable. I enjoy each chance I have to drive it.

Great Small Car for Tall People!!
By twolfe2 on 05/14/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car after being overseas for 2 years. I wanted a car that was fast and fun, but I didn't want the 'boy racer' look that the Evo conveys. After two days of shopping looking at both American and foreign cars, I choose the 135, and I was not disappointed. It is small so you have all the maneuverability that you want, yet big enough that I was able to move from Jersey to DC with it. I have gotten many compliments from people on the car, as they are still relatively new. I got the Sedona Red Metallica color, and it looks awesome. Also I wanted a true sports car so I got a manual and the clutch is extremely smooth.

Reasonably Practical Fun
By Richard Schollen on 03/05/09 19:36 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took delivery of the car just prior to the summer and got to enjoy the full on summer experience but wanted to live with it through a winter before writing a review. The verdict: invest in good set of snow tires and the car is almost as much fun in the winter as in the summer. The DSC system is totally effective at keeping things under control on snow packed roads. Switch it off and it's donut time. All year round the power is enticing - smooth and unrelenting -if you keep your foot in it you will be in road-side vehicle seizure territory in a blink. Yes, the cabin is a bit tight and you wish for a few more cubbies and a bigger glovebox but the overall experience is worth it. Practical fun.

What Fun?!
By HWDX347 on 02/24/09 13:09 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my Audi A4 3.2 to my son and drove to Roadshow BMW, Memphis, TN to look at a Mini Cooper S. Drove out with a BMW 135i! They were great to deal with. I test drove one in Little Rock last summer and didn't realize how fast it is. I now understand what BMW mean by Ultimate Driving Machine! The A4 is a great car but the 135i is even better. The car is much quicker, the handling is better, road feel is better and it's quieter.

Great Car
By tmitch18 on 01/19/09 19:44 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Been looking forward to getting my 135 and it's finally here. What a great car; amazing engine of course and with better brakes than the new M3. Drove my brothers 09 M3 and this car felt almost as quick. I say felt because now I added the computer upgrade from Vishnu that brings my 135 to 400hp!! This car is now a monster! Of course the materials used in this car are not quite as nice but, for the money you can't go wrong.

Cutting Corners
By Kevin on 12/27/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car looks great from a distance but open the trunk and wham, primer everywhere, that paint should be like on the outside! Guess that's why the rust protection is what 4 years! Then they put those cheesy plastic plugs through the carpet on the trunk lid to affix it to the metal and put holes in the metal to do it - cheap. I open the hood and there is a long line of open unfinished jagged steel down the inside of each side of the hood. Talk about cheap! Everywhere I look I see corners like that cut.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.