Used 2008 BMW 1 Series 135i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

I love the 135i
By Jorge

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving the car for more than 22,000 miles now and I think I can have some comments: 1. I had the usual problems: The HPFP, the bluetooth firmware upgrade, all the tails lights failing and the safety recall for the seat belts. 2. The run flats awful, replaced them with Michellin A/S now and rides much better 3. Gas mileages is not great. The car has been problem free for the last 5,000 miles and I personally think there is NO perfect car, I was lucky that BMW Charlottesville has been ver professional and helped me all the time when I faced problems. However, if you love cars, this is the one! Test drive one and see for yourself.

The N54 engine is a masterpiece, once they have replaced the fuel pump. That Manual trans is excellent and will give you a lot of joy. Problems are resolved now for the new models and I hope you get one. In my case I had to get my 135 on year One of the One.

1. Drop the run flats 2. The BMW free maintenance program is worthless if you want to keep the car x the long term. Check other sites for realistic recommendations.

Terrible service, plagued with problems
By 1porscheman

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start. Oh, I know. BMW does not care about their customers! I have owned to others in the past, m3 and a 2003 x5. My past experience lead me to purchase (lease) my 1 series. Love the performance, its a fun little car. But. My 1 has just under 14k on on it and its been in for everything under the sun. The fuel pump, the window reg. Motor, radio still doesn't work right, you name it, and the recalls. I could not drive my car at night for a month while I waited for recall replacement taillight, and let me add they provided a car for only a week. Terrible service. I have never (even at gm dealer) had service that was so rude, unprofessional, and unaccommodating.

The engine. Its addictive. Great brakes. Love the small steering wheel.

Build quality. Adjustable coil-over suspension. More weekend track toy options. If BMW wants to keep customers it needs to clean house starting with BMW N.A. customer service. There is no customer service!

Would be perfect if not for run flats
By Steven

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven the car 16,800 miles. Great power and handling, very intuitive interior controls that give you what you need and nothing more. Back seat is only for kids or short trips, but the seats fold down for lots of extra trunk room. Initial problem with fuel pump (common but completely resolved). Biggest complaint: Rear Run flats only good for 10,000 miles; they cost $380 each; and there are no good alternatives. Front tires may last 20,000+. Yes, it's the sports model with 18" tires and I drive a mountain freeway fairly regularly, but my last BMW got 40,000+ miles per set of tires. The car has not been driven hard. I love the car, but next time I would at least test drive the Cayman.

Handling and Power Comfort Access Comfortable seats Intuitive Non-I-Drive Controls Fold down trunk Favorite Quote about the car: "All that I want and not more than I need"

Develop run flats with longer treadwear or offer models without runflats and room for a spare.

1.5 Year Update
By Paul

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been leasing this car for about 1.5 years and I am severely disappointed. Since I began leasing the vehicle I had the fuel pump replaced, the interior trim is starting to chip off, I've had the rear brakes replaced and I am almost on my third set of tires. Free maintenance yeah right, the treadwear on the runflats is far below average and if you drive aggressively expect to pay more than $1200 a year in maintenance just on the tires. I have already begun to experience more problems with the car stalling and failing to start. The ipod hook up frequently has problems and my passenger seat belt warning goes off with a bottled water in the passenger seat.

Engine. If you want a fast unreliable, uncomfortable track car then this is the car for you. It is not a daily driver.

Needs serious improvements in reliability and much better tires and computer system.

Amazing Performance
By rp401k

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Relentless acceleration, great engine sound, and fantastic handling. Regular mode for automatic is like an economy mode in normal driving. Sport mode feels like a manual in that it holds a gear and quickly downshifts. Do not really use paddle shifters very much.There is plenty of room in front and the rear is acceptable if average size. Rear is difficult to access. Top mounted seat position adjusters are very handy for this. Careful driving results in excellent gas mileage. Ride is acceptable, and would be much better without run flats. Great visibility and very nice interior. At first sport seats seemed confining, but now they feel very comfortable. I enjoy each chance I have to drive it.

Acceleration and handling.