Used 2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

I love the 135i
By Jorge

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving the car for more than 22,000 miles now and I think I can have some comments: 1. I had the usual problems: The HPFP, the bluetooth firmware upgrade, all the tails lights failing and the safety recall for the seat belts. 2. The run flats awful, replaced them with Michellin A/S now and rides much better 3. Gas mileages is not great. The car has been problem free for the last 5,000 miles and I personally think there is NO perfect car, I was lucky that BMW Charlottesville has been ver professional and helped me all the time when I faced problems. However, if you love cars, this is the one! Test drive one and see for yourself.

Favorite Features

The N54 engine is a masterpiece, once they have replaced the fuel pump. That Manual trans is excellent and will give you a lot of joy. Problems are resolved now for the new models and I hope you get one. In my case I had to get my 135 on year One of the One.

Suggested Improvements

1. Drop the run flats 2. The BMW free maintenance program is worthless if you want to keep the car x the long term. Check other sites for realistic recommendations.

Great CPO bargin
By SagamoreJack

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 128i stripper with a manual. It has ample room for 2 people or 4 on a quick lunch run. Fold down back seat and reasonable trunk opening allows hauling good sized cargo. It has expected BMW handling, good acceleration and also is a smooth highway cruiser, except for run flat tire noise. The acceleration is OK, not thrilling. It makes a satisfying growl at WOT. Wide torque curve and slick transmission makes a great combination for moving thru traffic and for sporty curve work. Base interior has very cheap looking and feeling plastic. More Aveo than BMW. The large adjustment knob for manual seats is exactly where your foot goes when cruise control is on. Track day soon

Favorite Features

Smooth torquey six. Slick manual transmission. Very good handling/ride combination. Fold down rear seats allows me to carry my bike inside. Low mileage CPO and not the most popular model means a nearly new BMW for Honda money.

Suggested Improvements

Base interior needs an upgrade. Manual seat adjustment is poorly thought out. Way too much brake dust. I join almost every owner in saying get rid of the run flats.

Terrible service, plagued with problems
By 1porscheman

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start. Oh, I know. BMW does not care about their customers! I have owned to others in the past, m3 and a 2003 x5. My past experience lead me to purchase (lease) my 1 series. Love the performance, its a fun little car. But. My 1 has just under 14k on on it and its been in for everything under the sun. The fuel pump, the window reg. Motor, radio still doesn't work right, you name it, and the recalls. I could not drive my car at night for a month while I waited for recall replacement taillight, and let me add they provided a car for only a week. Terrible service. I have never (even at gm dealer) had service that was so rude, unprofessional, and unaccommodating.

Favorite Features

The engine. Its addictive. Great brakes. Love the small steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. Adjustable coil-over suspension. More weekend track toy options. If BMW wants to keep customers it needs to clean house starting with BMW N.A. customer service. There is no customer service!

Cheap materials
By David Rodriguez

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had my car for almost 2 years now and I'm on my fifth third brake light, I had the driver's window motor replaced twice passenger side airbag sensor once and now my fog lights lenses are cracked and BMW says that it is because of impact and not covered by warranty so I have to deal with them using cheap plastic in their cars which I don't think is fair

Favorite Features

engine

Suggested Improvements

for the price we should get better quality materials and craftsmanship, get rid of those run flats or at least give us an option

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By noushin

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to have a 325 until 3 years ago when I sold it due to high maintenance cost and leased a Mercedes C230. It was such a "trouble-free" car, but I missed my BMW since the day I lost it. I had my eye on the 1 series and it was worth all the wait. I have a 128 coupe with M1, Sport and Premium package. The car practically flies, it handles marvelously and I even like the feel of the "run-flat" tires. Can't wait to finish work and come to my car....

Favorite Features

Steering wheel, lumbar support, interior design, handling.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is very mediocre to the best. BMW can learn a few things from Mercedes Benz in that department. What a shame. Radio knob buttons not so intuitive. No reason to have the second cup holder since it's useless.