2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
My 2008 128i Convertible
By DTMEDIC on 07/24/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought a NEW 2008 model from the showroom floor. It's loaded with every conceivable option; but I got the car nearly $6,000 off invoice. Still pricey... but definitely worth it! I can't say enough about this little gem! It is the MOST fun I've ever had driving! I wake up every morning and cannot WAIT to drive my car to work! I love the top down fun with my iPod tunes blasting. The iDrive is a little quirky, but once you figure it out, it's fine. The ride is superb, the fit and finish is all BMW... the drive and handling is exactly what you would expect... perfection. Love it, love it, love it... you will NOT be sorry you bought this car! Just do it!

128i Convertible
By Mike N. on 05/23/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from a Z4 to the 128i convertible and from manual to automatic transmission so there was an adjustment in expectations. Overall, I have been very happy with the 128. The build quality is outstanding. The handling is exceptional and the motor has plenty of punch, especially in manual shift mode. I love the way the car learns your driving style. The only negative is the standard sound system (not the premium pkg). Speaker placement makes it virtually inaudible with the top down at freeway speeds. The Z4 was better probably because the speakers were directly behind the seat.

1st 1,000 miles
By 1st convertible bot on 01/24/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around solid, stays on road. Engine has a "low throaty" sound that sets off other car alarms - too cool! Small size is very convenient, fun and adds to the great acceleration. Quiet interior with top up, car suspension handles train track crossings and bumps with ease. In rain, excellent perf both from a handling, sound & water management. I have to admit, it is expensive and very unpractical, BUT it is a kick in the pants to drive and makes my commute fun! To hell with the economy and my crappy 401K perf - let's go for a drive!

Year One of the 1
By pstevenson32 on 11/21/08 03:25 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 128. It is great fun to drive. It has more than enough power for a casual driver such as me. With its 6-speed transmission, it generally gets around 24-26 mpg in the city. I have always liked the looks of BMW. Now I get the look at a fairly decent price. The 128 is a luxury car without many frills. The interior has been pared of luxury to make space for roominess. Well for the people in front, anyway. It's still pretty much a 2-seater. Oddly, for a BMW, the interior is without many standards items I have grown used to over the years. Example: The 128 is curiously without a functional cupholder. The only working cupholder is directly behind the shifter. I still love it.

Glad I bought it
By Happy Camper on 08/01/08 07:42 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Z4 lease was up and after research on edmunds, I decided to test this car. I liked the seats, soft top and price better than the 3 series. I am enjoying the additional room this car offers, the better ride and the performance. The 4/50k service is a real plus. I really love this car.

BMW 128i Cabrio - WOW!
By German Frau on 06/29/08 07:44 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I considered the 3series convertible before purchasing my Mini Cooper S convertible in 2005. I loved driving it in town but it was stiff riding and uncomfortable on the highway. One day, one of my students brought in a 1 series brochure. I loved the car from the minute I saw it. Immediately I scheduled a test drive and ordered the car in April. After returning from Germany on June 20th, my BMW was waiting for me. I own the car for 9 days now. The car really drives well and I just love it. It performs well and is smooth riding on the highway. My husband liked the Mini Cooper S conv. a lot but after driving/riding the BMW conv. he changed his mind. I'm/we are sold on the new 1 series.

Great Convertible
By BMW128iOwner on 06/22/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is both comfortable and very fun to drive. Being six feet tall, I thought the back seat would be a little tight for me, however when I have sat in the back it is more than enough room and also very comfortable. The materials and interior design are very excellently crafted, as well as the beautiful exterior. Automatic roof works great and car is amazing with the top down. The engine sounds powerful and exhilarating, and yet the ride is very quiet. The premium Hi-Fi sound system sounds great with the top up or down. iPhone compatibility is great and sounds great on both sides of the phone, even with the top down and strong winds.

My 128i Ragtop
By Rocky on 06/14/08 15:25 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a Z4 previously and loved it, but overall I like the 1er better. Meets or exceeds every one of my expectation. The 128i is plenty fast and is more practical than the 135i. The 135i is almost stupid fast and very few drivers will be able to get more than 30% out of what the car is capable of.

Great car
By onefan on 05/29/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in my Z4 for the 128. I like the comfort of the interior and the addtional room of this car. It is responsive and the braking is excellent. The 128 doesn't deliver the same level of power as the 135, but I drive in heavy traffic and the six cyl. is more than adequate. I really love this car.

Satisfying that need for fun!
By TinasBimmer on 05/28/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I test drove many new convertibles and decided to purchase the 128i convertible. I'm 6'2" and discovered I don't fit comfortably in most 2-seaters out there. We are very happy with our car and would highly recommend it for many reasons. The car handles like no other car I've ever driven, probably due to the sports package. It is very comfortable with the leather power seats and we were actually able to fit our two teenaged sons in the back, a bit snug but do able. Acceleration is very smooth and the 6- speed automatic transmission shifts just right, in fully auto or manual modes. We also like the zero-maintenance cost feature that covers everything except tires for 4 yrs

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible in NJ is:

$216 per month*